IE7 and little message box...

Jonzjob

Hi Admin,

If I say pretty please several times can you give me a message box that I can see pretty please (that's 2 times)? My eyes are not as young as they used to be. Nor am I come to think of it?

At the same time can I have my smilies back again pretty please (that's 3 times).

IE7 is here and it ain't going to go away so pretty please (that's 4 times)

[quote user="Jonzjob"] IE7 is here and it ain't going to go away [/quote]

John, I am still on IE6 and have not had any intentions of updating IE7 until the windows automatic updates says I should. I have looked briefly at the demo information and like anything new the changes look very different. It would be very helpful to me and possibly many others who are happy with IE, if you could give your impressions and comments on the new version.

Baz

Hi Baz, the reason I changed to 7 was that we had a problem on 6 where we couldn't print anything from a web page. There were several other niggles, but it wasn't till quite late that we thought they may have been connected. One was a link from one web page to another would come up as a blank page and stay that way without timing out.

So we went to IE7. So far I have found it very easy to get used to the different bits, like having tabs for different web sites across the top of the window and not across the bottom.It is very quick to change beteen the tabs too. You also have the option to have the web page full screen with no task bar at the bottom and only the page you are on showing. The first time I found it was by accident and I couldn't find the way out, but it's as easy as pressing the F11 key. It's very usefull if you have a complicated page to show. Acording to a PC whiz mate of mine, who has been using the pre-release versions, it is quite stable and there aren't many problems, that he has found, to be sorted out. They seen to have done a good job on it. This one took all of 25 minutes to change over, including the download. Can't think of owt else at the moment, but I would certainly not be worried about changing. APART FROM THAT IS, THE SIZE OF THIS T I N Y L I T T L E B O X ! And I've just noticed the old Ford theme too. Any colour as long as it's BLACK! The little box reminds me of cricket (oh for a smilie??? A smilie, a smilie, my kingdom for a smilie?)

I see also that the new release for Firefox is due out later this month. That's a co-incidence isn't it. They say that it was never planned that way and I believe them, but I also belive in Santa and the tooth fairy? I tried Firefox, all be it for a short time, and didn't like it. There were too many add on's that were needed even to the fact that it wouldn't play Wav files without another download. By todays sandards our PC doesn't have too much hard disk space and 40 gig is soon filled up.

[quote user="Baz"]

[quote user="Jonzjob"] IE7 is here and it ain't going to go away [/quote]

John, I am still on IE6 and have not had any intentions of updating IE7 until the windows automatic updates says I should. I have looked briefly at the demo information and like anything new the changes look very different. It would be very helpful to me and possibly many others who are happy with IE, if you could give your impressions and comments on the new version.

Baz

[/quote]

Windows automatic update will be starting to push IE7 out to everybody in 7 days time. I imagine they will spread it out over some time to avoid excessive loading but not long to go (unless you block it)

Ian

John is right - it isn't going to go away because you ignore it. I have not looked in detail at Firefox 2 but the main new features seem to be a "catch-up" to IE7 (i.e. matching rather than exceeding IE7). How the "market share" will then balance out when both are out will be difficult to predict. I actually have something of a natural bias against Microsoft (people on this forum have accused me of being a Microsoft hater several times), but I do prefer IE7 to Firefox 1.5 (much quicker and more secure).

Ian

[quote user="Deimos"]John is right - it isn't going to go away because you ignore it. I have not looked in detail at Firefox 2 but the main new features seem to be a "catch-up" to IE7 (i.e. matching rather than exceeding IE7). How the "market share" will then balance out when both are out will be difficult to predict. I actually have something of a natural bias against Microsoft (people on this forum have accused me of being a Microsoft hater several times), but I do prefer IE7 to Firefox 1.5 (much quicker and more secure).

Ian[/quote]

oooooohhhh... hang on - the best features of IE7 were already in Firefox before IE7 was a twinkling in MS's eyes, weren't they?...! (Isn't it funny how people get bitchy about IE/Firefox or Windows/Linux?.............. okay, it's just me then... [8-)])

It's quite simple for me, I like what I have seen in IE7 and I didn't take to the little bit I saw of Firefox. No bitchyness, just my opinion, which I am entitled to. It may change because I observe, compare and make my own decision. (oh for those bluudy smilies!)

But IE7 is NOT going to go away whether you like it or not. Very simple!

[quote user="Jonzjob"]It's quite simple for me, I like what I have seen in IE7 and I didn't take to the little bit I saw of Firefox. No bitchyness, just my opinion, which I am entitled to. It may change because I observe, compare and make my own decision. (oh for those bluudy smilies!)

But IE7 is NOT going to go away whether you like it or not. Very simple![/quote]

Jonzjob - you should know by now that on this forum you are NOT entitled to your own opinion. [:D]

Having just had a look at Firefox 2, for "my money" IE7 still beats it. For example, they have not managed to do the Sidebar anything like as nicely as IE7, options on opening new tabs is "always at end" rather than IE that provides a number of options one (the default) automatically grouping tabs from the same site next to each other). Firefox still starts really slowly (compared to IE7).

I'm actually surprised they bothered to call it Firefox 2 as its pretty much the same as Firefox 1.5.

Security wise IE7 seems better (by default, but you can configure IE7 to be more relaxed). However,Firefox cannot be configured to be "stricter". I visited a few web pages that run various ActiveX controls and Firefox just ran then no problems (you would not even have known it was running an Active X). However, IE7 was blocking stuff and displaying warning bars allowing to to allow temporarily, change the config for the Active X (i.e. always trust it), etc.

In the leapfrog game I think IE7 has stayed ahead.

So I guess I will just have to wait until Archant customers become a "higher priority" (by the way, bad business to tell customers they are not high priority - sometimes they may get the impressions that you don't care).

Ian

Thinking of customer service Ian. I have had 2 reminders about renewing my French Property News subscription. I have now renewed it and 4 days ago I had a confirmation letter on the renewal. Yesterday I had a letter telling me that I had just received my last mag and should 'promptly' renew my subscription.

It would appear that they are quick to take "The Customers" money. One obvious thing that comes from this Ian is that the rein of the customer being king has ended. Seems like we are in a republic???

Today I tried to post a couple of pictures. All that comes out is the 'IMG' line from under the photo in Photobucket!!

Good 'ere init. Oh how I HATE complaining!

I've just upgraded to Firefox 2 (after a brief flirtation with Camino) and it's fine. I can't try IE7 as it isn't available for Macs (oh what a loss) but FF2 looks nice, works fast and doesn't seem to have any faults (I was flirting with Camino because FF1.5 was unstable on my laptop).

I've been using FF1.5 for yonks on XP Familiale without any probs and I like it whatever anyone else says - I tried IE7 for a few days and just didn't like the look of it, though I keep it on the Task Bar. 

Problem is, when I went to update to FF2 a few weeks ago it didn't work - maybe I'll try again this afternoon.

What are the main differences versus FF1.5, Dick?

On the Mac it matches the OS look and feel a bit better, it seems to load faster and there are enhanced options in Preferences. Text is rendered very well (not always a strong point on some websites) - however I just lost the ability to edit this post - presumably that was a glitch in the forum software. I am hoping it will be more stable on my laptop - but as my wireless network isn't at the moment, that's not a big problem.