Off-subject Forums

Jc

[quote user="Dick Smith"] ... the truth is that all discussion forums have the same characteristic, that a thread once established, wanders. That may be because there is no sensible answer to the original question, or because the question is answered in the first few posts, and then long-term posters start to make off-the-cuff remarks to each other in the way that normal people do. Whatever the reason, that is what happens. Most people seem pretty happy for this to be the case, the OP's questions get answered, the long-term posters get to chat to each other and display their rapier-like with and eventually another thread starts up and they all go there.

[/quote]

No more to add - that's exactly how it works!

And I always thought that Asperger's was something to do with asparagus.

Just as Judie has hankerings after living in a mini-chateau with turrets, so she suffers from Tourettes syndrome...

I personally love the way that topics dash off at tangents and drift around in ever-decreasing circles, we had one the other day with about nine totally unrelated conversations going on together. Where else can we take this one - I know, do you remember the wonderful 1980s TV sitcom called 'Ever Decreasing Circles'?

[quote user="Deimos"]I think the original question related to the "factual" threads that then become the "inner circle" saying "Eeek" to each other. Those who enjoy "Eeek'ing" at each other have no problem with this. Sometimes others who are looking for factual information get a bit irritated scanning through pages or "Eeek's" to see if there is anything useful (or regularly getting e-mails saying "Eeek")[/quote]

Are people saying we should think before we eek?

I remember the big hole in Kildare!  Everyone used it to dump their old tyres and welly boots to be collected by Naas hospital. Every month a lorry would collect all the boots and tyres and take them to Naas to be melted down and fashioned into protestant ears, noses and toes for people that had lost their original ones. I was courting Tessy O'Malley  from Clane for several days when I found out she had a rubber ear that had suddenly gone all pointed! The poor thing had to fold the ear over and use a clothes peg to secure it in place in order not to draw attention to herself.  One evening we were listening to Pat O'Flaherty on the record player, singing 'Spanish Eyes' well we were in a very intermitent embrace and as I kissed her tenderly on the cheek, the peg flew off, and her ear sprang up and poked me in the eye! I decided it would be safer to leave, and to plant me tulip in another garden! It turns out that her fake ear was made from a bicycle tyre tube that contained vulcanised rubber.

[kiss]

Or maybe we should theek before we ink.

That's the one Cassis. It was filmed where Judie and I used to live in England, which perhaps says something about us. But even before that it haunted me - lots of people said I was just like the Richard Briers character, a few said I was like Peter Egan (which I preferred, naturally) and one compared the first Mrs Will and I to Howard and Hilda. which of course I never understood. But it was a brilliant programme. Returning to later times we had lunch in a small cafe on the west coast of Brittany and Penelope Wilton was in there. We mentioned to the owner after she had gone that he had played host to a famous English actress, but he was totally underwhelmed, being much more proud of the fact that Nicolas Sarcozy ate there regularly. I know which of the two I would prefer to lunch with.