Off-subject Forums

Jc

Would it be possible to create a hole in which to dump the vast amount of correspondence that has nothing to do with the subject of the forum.There was a saying"It is better to stay silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and confirm it".

[quote user="Jc"]Would it be possible to create a hole in which to dump the vast amount of correspondence that has nothing to do with the subject of the forum......[/quote]

That's why we go to the lounge and use it as our chat room as we can't all be at Twink's gig [:(]!

Twinks are you still doing request 'coz I'd like 'Oh! Lord! won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz..' by the very lovely Janis Joplin.... Twinks Cariad : Hwyl Fawr!! for the night....

[quote user="Jc"]Would it be possible to create a hole in which to dump the vast amount of correspondence that has nothing to do with the subject of the forum.[/quote]

Would you like us to try to find a Jcb Digger ?   [:P]

Isn't that what the Lounge was for, noone has to venture there if they don't feel like it.   [:)]

[quote user="Missy"]

Twinks are you still doing request 'coz I'd like 'Oh! Lord! won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz..' by the very lovely Janis Joplin.... Twinks Cariad : Hwyl Fawr!! for the night....

[/quote]

Diolch yn fawr cariad!

Has somebody told you?  I do Mercedes Benz in my set!

Sorry Jc! 

You're right - we should stick to the lounge.  The thing is we are like naughty children who don't know when to shut-up!  It must be a pain to trawl through all the silly posts to get to the info you're looking for - I agree. 

I will make it my personal mission to put threads back on topic whenever it is in my magical power!

Am beginning to feel v. thick - is this site the same as the Lounge or what.  Do we use this one only on a Sunday/weekend, rest of week allowed to wear dirty/scruffy clothes in the daily lounge?  Someone answer or I will have to spend twice as long on the 'puter trawling through both salons!

Mr or Mrs Aude - to answer your question semi-sensibly: someone (jc? is he really? Must clean my shoes.) posted a slightly vinegary comment aimed at all those threads which go off-topic. Hasn't been back, so we don't know what his/her thinking really is, but the truth is that all discussion forums have the same characteristic, that a thread once established, wanders. That may be because there is no sensible answer to the original question, or because the question is answered in the first few posts, and then long-term posters start to make off-the-cuff remarks to each other in the way that normal people do. Whatever the reason, that is what happens. Most people seem pretty happy for this to be the case, the OP's questions get answered, the long-term posters get to chat to each other and display their rapier-like with and eventually another thread starts up and they all go there.

Some people seem to feel that there ought to be rules, and that one of the rules must be No Talking About Anything Else because it Confuses People. Scientific studies have shown this tendency to be identifiable on the autistic spectrum, close to Asperger's Syndrome.

So, when JC (really?) posted his/her comment the immediate response of the long-term posters (me included, I am ashamed to say) started to thread-wander, in this case into the songs of Janis Joplin as interpreted by Twinkle (passim).

I think it's called having fun, but we'd need Ian to really define fun for us.

I think the original question related to the "factual" threads that then become the "inner circle" saying "Eeek" to each other. Those who enjoy "Eeek'ing" at each other have no problem with this. Sometimes others who are looking for factual information get a bit irritated scanning through pages or "Eeek's" to see if there is anything useful (or regularly getting e-mails saying "Eeek").

Maybe its just life, maybe not and maybe that was what "The Lounge" was created for. I think that was the discussion intended by the thread.

Ian

Thanks for the replies.  I'm more than happy to wander (remember the song? - I love to go blah blah ....) - will be wandering through all the salons now - best clothes for a Sunday on this one though. Am a little nervous of going off thread in case someone gets cross with me, but might risk it!