weather forum

lesman

It'll do for me at the moment - cos it's soddin miserable here, today!!  [:P]

I'm away to bed for a kip - to many painkillers - night night!!  [blink]

Edit:  I'm up again - still sore & drowsy but the footies coming on!! [blink]  p.s. it's about 8 degree & pouring here now!!  Send me more sunshine reports, to cheer me up, please!!

[quote user="powerdesal"]ali@ards,

you want some sunshine reports, OK, its about 35 deg C here, bright blue sky, sea water temperature is 26 C,  - pity its not Europe though!!!!!  ps It rained this year for a couple hours

Regards
[/quote]

A litter further than I had intended to move - but hey!!  It sounds good! 

Hi Ali@ards

If you are sad for logging weather reports for 4 differing areas in anticipation of your move to France, then I was too. Though as you found the reports can be misleading, still of interest nontheless. I suffer from inherited arthritis and have to be somewhat careful especially in cold weather if I don't want to grind to a complete halt. Like you I like the weather warm but cannot I cope with too much heat - sadly.

We have settled for the time being in southern Brittany and, crossed fingers here, it is not proving too bad at all. The wind in the winter - albeit we are by the sea - seems colder than I remember in Lincolnshire, but a super lightweight bodywarmer kept the small of my back warm this winter. I've found if my feet and my back are warm I can cope. Yesterday the weather here was amazing so we cycled to a nearby beach for a mooch and a paddle. I am told it was 23 degrees - though it felt warmer than that in the sun - with a warm breeze.

We visited the Charentes a number of times and loved it but found it too hot for me in summer - hence we decided on Brittany for a variety of reasons. So far so good.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the post - we seem to have very similar sounding requirements!!  Isn't it awful dreading a rainy, damp cold day!!  I've been told I'm guaranteed arthritis in my spine in the years to come - so France, here I come!!  [:D]

We have considered the Loire & Southern Brittany region but worried about the winters (rain is my biggest problem - I'm like a long range weather forcast & can tell if it's going to pour later in the day, depending on my back pain!!)

My records of the weather may or may not help - but it does my heart good to be writing 20 odd degrees - while sitting in 8 degrees & looking out at grey skies!!  Bet you felt the same!! 

The weather in Northern Ireland is very similar to Scotland - so anything drier than that, will be a bonus!! [:)]

Certainly around me (France) the weather have shown significant variations to the “averages” quoted by the meteorological organisations. Some months 2 or 3 times the average for that month, others much, much drier than average (e.g. April 12mm month to date, average for month 51mm).

I have no idea if such variation is the norm, if Global Warning is changing our climate (more extremes), or something else.

Just that if you see ideal weather at your proposed location try comparing it to the averages. Similarly, Meteo France publish a weather summary PDF each month for each department (they can be downloaded for several years (back to start of 2002)). It would be terrible to buy somewhere and then find the period you have been watching was the “best weather since records began”.

Ian

**Isn't it awful dreading a rainy, damp cold day!!**

Yes it is - which is why we viewed a move to Brittany with a little apprehension (and why we are renting as yet) as we were told it was similar to Cornwall - warm but very moist and humid. Maybe it is our little corner of Morbihan but we have not found the rain to be a problem. We have very occasionally - I think a couple of times this winter - had rain which lasted most or all of the day, but usually if we have rain it is in the form of showers - some heavy - which blow away very quickly and  normal service resumes.

As I said we are still reviewing the situation, but when it got to 40 degrees last July and I was still OK even my OH had to admit it was warm enough for him - and he can cope with baking heat. It helped mitigate the twinges of guilt I sometimes feel in that OH has to 'put up with Brittany' [:)][Www][:D] if he wants to stay with me.

Sue

Edit: Apologies but my OH has just told me sternly that I made a big mistake in my previous post - twas not the Charentes (16 and 17) which I found too hot, it was when we were in the St Emilion region one June and we experienced cyclic heat/storm/heat/storm which played havoc with my arthritis. It seems my memory is going as well - gawd, what will go next?

Sue

Sue, you sound as bad as me!!  Think all my bits are starting to go - from top to toe!!

It's absolutly freezing here today - about 8 degrees, wind howling & as grey as the middle of November.  Yesterday was really nice (well, by NI standards) but today would depress even Dick - who just loves talking about the weather!!  [Www]

[quote user="Spg"]

**Isn't it awful dreading a rainy, damp cold day!!**

Yes it is - which is why we viewed a move to Brittany with a little apprehension (and why we are renting as yet) as we were told it was similar to Cornwall - warm but very moist and humid. Maybe it is our little corner of Morbihan but we have not found the rain to be a problem. We have very occasionally - I think a couple of times this winter - had rain which lasted most or all of the day, but usually if we have rain it is in the form of showers - some heavy - which blow away very quickly and  normal service resumes.

As I said we are still reviewing the situation, but when it got to 40 degrees last July and I was still OK even my OH had to admit it was warm enough for him - and he can cope with baking heat. It helped mitigate the twinges of guilt I sometimes feel in that OH has to 'put up with Brittany' [:)][Www][:D] if he wants to stay with me.

Sue

Edit: Apologies but my OH has just told me sternly that I made a big mistake in my previous post - twas not the Charentes (16 and 17) which I found too hot, it was when we were in the St Emilion region one June and we experienced cyclic heat/storm/heat/storm which played havoc with my arthritis. It seems my memory is going as well - gawd, what will go next?

Sue

[/quote]

They have that continuous very fine drizzle in Brittanny they call it "le crachin"

They have that continuous very fine drizzle in Brittanny they call it "le crachin"

I'm from  Belfast, love - over here we just say it's p***ing down!!  [Www]

Edit:  I would like to apoligise for becoming very "broad Belfast" there!!  It's just not like me - must be the weather!!

***They have that continuous very fine drizzle in Brittanny they call it "le crachin"***

Not today they don't - it rained here at some point during the night last night, it was a little overcast this morning but it is 20 degrees now and going to be a beautiful afternoon.

I've looked on pages jaunes and they think we might have some showers on Wednesday this week - otherwise fine and dry.

My French neighbour told me about the drizzle but we really do get very little of it here - don't know why.

Sue - greatly appreciative of the Breton weather[:)]

Well all i can say is thanks, ive enjoyed reading what people are saying about the weather, ive found peoples comments very interesting. I just hope Living France will recognise that a weather related discussion area would be very well used.

Regards  lesman

ps Lincolnshire weather today, alot better than yesterday, mostly cloudy and drier.

25 degrees in the shade on the terrace at 3 pm french time. Too hot to go to the potager, did the weeding this morningand will have to water tonight.

Not an ache in my body, free movement in my fingers and a song in my heart!

Right you lot.  Been 25 degs here in gods country today and yesterday.  Blue skies, mountains, little stone villages with waterfalls in the background. Young men in white vests standing outside pubs with pints of strongbow.  When the sun shines it really is a different place.

The news says it is all going to change tomorrow.  Oh well it was a lovely summer.

Oh yes.  They had trouble with the trains in london because the tracks melted. 

You were lucky!!  It was 14degs here, pouring with rain & a two & a half hour thunder storm!!  Even got a few hailstones chucked in for good luck!!  Expecting the plague of locusts tomorrow - as it's the only thing we haven't had in the last 7 days!!  [;-)]

[quote user="George"][quote user="KatieKopyKat"]

Oh yes.  They had trouble with the trains in london because the tracks melted. 

[/quote]

Wrong type of sun yesterday

[/quote]

Well that's what they said on the radio.  And what do you mean wrong type of sun?

Haf an inch of rain in beautiful Berkshire overnight, nearly scuppered my rain water collecting efforts, one side of the butt was resting on soil rather than a paving slab, that side sank a little............thus creating a little water fall from the now full butt ! Shucks !![Www][Www]

Back to the drawing board........

• 6 months later...