Truncating wide posts

fulcrum

Is there any way to chop off the right handed side of posts that are too wide to fit on the screen. There is a thread at the moment called Self-Sufficiency in France and it is way too wide. I know wide URLs in posts can widen the post but I couldn't see if there was one in the thread.

The offending page is page one.

Edit: The offending poster is Dave & Olive with an extremelly long URL.

That's a good idea regarding the photos - avatar size is limited, so maybe it's possible to do something for photos.

I don't suppose there is anything Admin can do to force long strings to wrap to the normal box width, is there?

I've told people how to post links properly in the past and had shirty replies so I've given up trying.  I just don't read those posts any more (so there, yah, boo). Which is a shame if it's not the OP who has done it.

[quote user="Dick Smith"][quote user="Cassis"]

I've told people how to post links properly in the past and had shirty replies so I've given up trying.
[/quote]

Funny how that works, isn't it?
[/quote]Maybe.  However, I've tried the tip above (shortening the link) but it doesn't work for me!  Could you explain again in words of on syllable for complete dummies, exactly how to do this?

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="Dick Smith"][quote user="Cassis"]

I've told people how to post links properly in the past and had shirty replies so I've given up trying.

[/quote]

Funny how that works, isn't it?

[/quote]Maybe.  However, I've tried the tip above (shortening the link) but it doesn't work for me!  Could you explain again in words of on syllable for complete dummies, exactly how to do this?[/quote]

• Copy the link onto your clipboard.
  • [Optional] Paste the link into your post (helps people if the link doesn't work).
  • Highlight a section of text, such as the word 'here'.
  • Click on the little ball and chain icon to the top right of the posting area, between the bullets and the rubber in the toolbar.
  • A dialogue window arrives - paste your link into it.
  • Click on OK or whatever affirmative message it demands.
  • Robert is the brother of your mother.

Go on, give it a try!

when posting a link

• copy the title of the page you want to link to (right-click on the title, select all, copy)
  • in the post text box, right-click, paste and highlight

• above the text box, click on the 'create link' icon (second from the right)
  • right-click and paste the title page as before and OK
  • you can now edit or reduce the link in the text box., the actual link will remain the same, whatever the words actually read.
You can also highlight a word or a phrase in your text and link it to a page in the same way:

this page will take you to the active forum and this link will do the same http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/TopicsActive.aspx because they both contain the same 'link to' information.

EDIT: Dick was quicker to post! [:D]