Active forum clock, edits and deletions

YCCMB

At the risk of changing the subject........When I look at sausage's last post, it says it was made at 17:47. However, when I look at the "active topics" page, it says that the last post on this thread was made by the same little sausage at 20:45. Has this post crossed the Channel or the international dateline on its way to my computer???[8-)]

So why does my post in the LD Lines Ships topic, made after Bugbear's, not show up in the active list? What has been removed from that topic? I have refreshed the page several times, and newer posts appear, but it seems I too am persona non grata. [;-)]

I think if something has been removed the post ought to remain, but with a comment to say that the content has been removed by the moderators. In fact often it would just be necessary to remove a few words rather than lose the whole post and subsequent replies which is what we often seem to get. Sorry if that contravenes the rules about not discussing forum matters, but it is meant as a helpful suggestion that other users might like to comment on so would not be appropriate to use the 'report' or PM facilities.

When a post is deleted, the 'deleter' is asked to give a reason and that is forwarded automatically to the poster by PM by the forum software.
Have you received such a deletion report?
Your last post in the 'LD Lines Ships' shows at 7:50 today and there are only 3 posts in the thread.
Which other post are you referring to?
I have no record of any of your posts being deleted recently.

I think you are missing the point. At pressent there are two replies to the original post. Each was posted at the same time, but Bugbear's appears above mine in the actual thread so he must have posted before me. Yet the active topic list shows two replies, last post by Bugbear. It's no big deal, but I mention it to show that the forum does seem to get the order of posts mixed up sometimes even when nothing has been deleted.

No, nothing of mine has been removed recently as far as I know but I have lost posts before and not received any notification of deletion. When I queried that with the moderators at the time I was told it was because a post I had replied to had been removed. I have also reported my own posts in the past, in order to bring matters to the moderators' attention, when I have replied to something that I consider breaches the forum guidelines, and suggested that the whole topic be removed. I have never had an e-mail about those removed posts, though I usually (not always) get an ackowledgement by PM.

I know that an automated e-mail should go out when a post is deleted, and that whoever does the deletion should fill in the reason. But this doesn't always happen.

Bugbear edited his own post at 07:50:34 AM, presumably after you posted, and the 'post clock' in the active list was reset to that time as he was the last active poster, albeit working on an edit.

When a post is deleted, some following posts are 'taken' with it as they are direct replies to it. This is a software problem we are well aware of and have brought to the attention of the forum tech people.

I will now move these posts to the Feedback Forum section from Betty's post timed 22:39.

[quote user="Clair"]I will now move these posts to the Feedback Forum section from Betty's post timed 22:39.[/quote]
Not quite as successful as I'd hoped, which just shows how awkward the forum software is!
Moving one post also moves its replies but leaves behind replies directly made to other posts within the same thread.

Of course it's still a place for general chat Dick, but if someone brings up an issue with the forum software, or something similar, it is best moved into a position where it can be dealt with (if possible) and act as record for others.

This thread has got itself triplicated, I'm going to lock it for a few minutes whilst I try to get it to behave.

EDIT: Blast and tarnation! I've managed to beat the thread into submission duplication wise, but now I can't unlock the swine!  Stick with me, I do apologise [:(]