I am sure this has been asked before, but...

MrCanary

[quote user="Blanche Neige"]

"Roll your mouse over your thingy next to your name." 

[8-)]It seems it doesn't work that well, as the dates are way behind!

[/quote]

Nothing happens at all when I run my mouse over my thingy.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

Really? 

When I do it,  I get box up with TWINKLE is not online:  Last active 09/12/2007 at 11:11:14 [/quote]

Exactly, so do I, and I am definitely on IE6.

Sue

Edit: Interestingly enough - to me anyway - it says I was last online 03/04/07 at 11:08:06 - but I am here now and it is 20:35 on 03/04/07.

I have been given an answer from the IS department.

The forum software that is used for Living France is the corporate Forum software used by Archant for all it's forums. I don't know exactly how many there are but it's quite a few.

The forum software is run on a Microsoft powered load balanced server farm so not all the forum software is on one server. It is in fact spread over several. It seems that things can take a long time to catch up, PM's can get delayed in delivery as can notifications etc. It also effects the the little 'ball' symbol in that it may not always display the correct date and cannot be relied upon to have changed colour when a person is online.

The 'ball' thing is a very low priority in the general scheme of things for IS (they support all the Archant group not just LF). They will eventually either try and fix it or they may remove it completely.

[quote user="Prasutagus"]Computer systems and their problems are very fast by their nature and quick to repair - or replace. [/quote]

You're obviously not familiar with the UK NHS system then..............................[:D][:D][:D]

I am sure, Quillan, that this would be way too much work, but they might like to look at the "Simple Machines Forum" softwear used here

http://www.sebringfans.com/forums/index.php

This seems to me to be superb compared with the system used here.  It's easy to see when people are on line, has a great member search facility (a much better search facility altogether in fact), and also incorporates a feature which tells you when somebody else is posting to a thread at the same time.  You can also edit and delete your own posts very easily.  It seems to me that the softwear here causes lots of problems, and this is not the least of them. 

[quote user="Cat"]

I can make my ball-thing light up at will (and it's not one of my special magic mod powers).

How much is it worth for me to tell you how?

[/quote]

Let me guess - you update your details?

I have a definite feeling of déjà vu concerning almost everything we have posted here - the giveaway is in the title of the thread. [:-))]

[quote user="cooperlola"]

I am sure, Quillan, that this would be way too much work, but they might like to look at the "Simple Machines Forum" softwear used here

http://www.sebringfans.com/forums/index.php

This seems to me to be superb compared with the system used here.  It's easy to see when people are on line, has a great member search facility (a much better search facility altogether in fact), and also incorporates a feature which tells you when somebody else is posting to a thread at the same time.  You can also edit and delete your own posts very easily.  It seems to me that the softwear here causes lots of problems, and this is not the least of them. 

[/quote]

When Archant were looking to replace the software before this, several of the mods suggested php boards, me included. Sadly the IT people did not think it suitable and if I am correct this had something to do with the fact that Archant run several forums and wanted them all to run on a common forum system. Why that put php out of the running for them I really have no idea but that was the feedback we had.

[quote user="Russethouse"]Its way too technical for me.........I sometimes notice peoples balls are green but thats about the limit.[:D] I'll ask admin if there is anything that can be done but please remember we have two 'short' working weeks so you may have to be patient.[/quote]

Gay that was so grosse, have you been sneaking into morgues again?