I am absolutely fed up of

Ron Avery

............Logging in to the Forum every time I move a page in the Active section or try to post a message.  Just to confuse things, when I do log in it tells me I cannot log in  and above it shows I AM logged in, and I can then access the Forum by using the Forum button top right.  This is sporadic and better since I did a system restore before that I had to log in every time I wanted to post a message.  I recently cleared my cache of cookies and temp files as some "oddities" had got in to the temp file from wherever.  I have Complete France as as an accepted site, a low security setting and pop up blocker.  Somewhere, there must be a button  or box checked that is causing this or everybody would be having the same problem wouldn't they, I have no problem logging on and using the Forum from the O/H's PC but a check on the settings of both PCs shows no obvious differences.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi Ron

I am posting this via IE7, which I have never used for the forum before. I have logged in as usual (login button top right from the active page) and voilà!

I will now close without logging out and try again... Back in a minute!

I'm back now... I closed IE7 down without logging off and on my return here, I was already logged in.

Isn't this a Cookies problem? A cookie should be stored on your machine so that your pc 'knows' you've visited previously. If you've cleared out all of your cookies that would explain why you had to log in next time, but not why you have to log in every time. Have you got your browser set to accept cookies? Internet Options/Privacy tab ... you may need to tweak the settings to accept cookies.

Sid

Forgot to say; I use IE7 and I don't have to log in every time.

You could try;

Get into the site and onto the front page (France Forum) in a logged in capacity, then click on Add to Favourites (delete any previous favourites for this site before you do this).

This should allow you to access the site (logged in) by simply clicking on the site in favourites.

[quote user="Clair"] I really don't like the site through IE7! back to FF for me!)[/quote]

Now I'm wondering what the site looks like with Firefox! I'm just going to have to try it! But maybe not tonight!

Sid

Well I couldn't stand the suspense; I've loaded Firefox, it works fine, imported all my favorites etc, but I must say that the site looks exactly the same to me! It may be my imagination but FF seems a little quicker?

I didn't have to log-in either, so I'm fairly sure that the answer to Ron's query is all about Cookies.

Sid

Until Ron gets back to this thread with an update, I'll talk Firefox...

I find the font stays true when I post. When I viewed the forum with IE7 earlier, it defaulted to big Times font when I was typing my post, but the font size on the viewing page was really tiny and I had to adjust it.

I had all sorts of advertising frames I never see with FF because I can download add-ons which allow me to get rid of the google ads and other unwanted frames (previously discussed here and here).

I've been using FF for ages and hardly ever use IE, as FF also offers a IE simulator (called IE Tab) for sites which are still not Firefox compatible, without the need to actually use IE.

FF is open source.

Hi Clair

I don't have any problem with huge fonts, it all looks quite normal to me. I've checked my own websites and these look exactly how I created them.

I accept that you say you can control ads, although I'll have to get to know it better before I start twiddling. Maybe you haven't tried to stop them with IE7? The jury is still out on which is best and it probably comes down to whether you dislike Microsoft in general.

In 35 years in IT I've never had any need for open source; what's the benefit? I don't always like Mr Gate's products, particularly because of the huge amounts of resource required due to lots of redundant code being left in from earlier versions, but the support is there if you need it, and memory is cheap now.

I'm going to give Firefox a fair crack over the next few weeks and see how I like it.

I'll be back [:)]

Sid

[quote user="sid"]...Maybe you haven't tried to stop them with IE7? [/quote]

You're probably right Sid [:)] I use IE so little that I do not spend any time learning its settings!

About open source, I like the idea of the products evolving from the need of the users rather than through commercial requirements. IE7 incorporates several innovations which had been part of FF (Mozilla) for a long time.

This has been discussed many times here already! try a search for Firefox in the 'Internet' section of the forum to read more about FF and other browsers (I also have Opera and I use all three browsers to check CSS compatibility for my never-ending website re-write!)

Where is Ron? [8-)]

I'll follow you're advice and do some research.

It occurs to me that in loading FF it imported my IE7 settings so that possibly explains why it appears to act and look so very similar to IE7.

Yes, where is our OP? [8-)]

The OP couldn't log in[:P]. 

No not really, I was watching TV, a rare day when anything decent on UK TV and they put Foyles War and Greys Anatomy on at the same time.[:@]

I tried Gary's suggestion first, with the old software you may recall that it was really hard to clear temp files and keep logged in and you always had to renew your favourites, so far it is OK and I have stayed logged in, but I did that the first time I had the problem and it didn't cure it.  I will work through the cookies suggestions as I think Sid is right, that is the catalyst of the problem.  I will let you know the outcome, thank you for all the suggestions, I might try Firefox, but I have a sneaky suspicion that whatever is causing the problem in IE7 will still be there as I said earlier I can post without any problems on the O/H's PC connected to the same system.

Good luck Ron! I watched Foyle's War too. I like the gentle pace of it. A resignation in the first programme of a new series is sure to have repercussions ... we hope!

I'm on a Firefox trial now, and so far it's looking good.

Sid

Tried going back to IE 6, but  still had the same problem so changed to Firefox which seems to be a mix of features IE 6 and IE 7, having no problems with Firefox , but what I have lost is the little notes that come up on various sites telling you what pictures are, I get the text on this site when I move the cursor over the post topic but not many others, is this a known "problem" with Firefox?

At the sametime I got rid of Norton, using AVG,  and my PC is 3 times faster now

The feature you describe has more to do with the way the websites are designed or written rather than a "fault" with FF. I still find some sites which only seem to work when viewed with IE6-7, and if this causes you a problem, I would suggest downloading a little add-on called IE Tab which emulates IE through FF.

With the web evolving to more common standards, all websites should gradually offer the same viewing features.