Even stranger...

Dick Smith

Not again!!!!  I haven't been given any notification of why these threads keep getting pulled.

Is someone avin a larf with us?  Or are they worried we're getting to near the root of the problem Holmes? [8-)]

If you are referring to "Weeble", then - with no inside knowledge whatsoever, mind, and based purely on the imaginings of my flu-infected, deranged brain - I would speculate that what you may have seen today (ie old threads resurfacing but without new postings and with blank posts interspersed) may be the result of a member removing all his/her own posts for whatever reason; in which case the postings were not removed by moderators. A check on the profile indicates that he/she was logged in today.

Pickles

[quote user="Dotty "]

Sorry Pickles but the check on profile does not work.

[/quote]

It did for me! Honest!

[quote user="Dotty "]

Any how who is weeble?

[/quote]

I haven't a clue. I'm beginning to think that he/she is a flu-induced delusion. Leave me alone!

[quote user="Dotty "]

I would go back to bed if I were you. [:D]

[/quote]

What makes you think that that isn't precisely where my notebook computer and I are currently ensconced?

Pickles

I think the original tongue in cheek post was in reaction to the thread "Forum Security - who changed my password? " being pulled without explanation.

However, in the pulled thread Quillan said that if a Mod changed a person's password then the member would be informed.  That was precisely what happened in my case - I received an email informing me that my password had been changed.  This email arrived on 17th April at 15.54.  However, none of this seems to square with the claim that Mods have been unable to change passwords since 4th April.  Curiouser and curiouser.

Just to make it clear in case I gave the wrong impression. If anyone changes a persons password including the owner, hacker, moderator or admin a message is always automatically sent by the system. The email is always the same in content. You can verify that yourselves by changing your password and see what email you receive.

If a post or thread is deleted then a email is sent. If a post is moved no email is send. A post or thread can be moved to the deleted bin. That probably explains why nobody got an email or alternativly the notification/Email/PM system may be queuing again. I understand some people are getting system errors again so there may be a problem.

Dotty - As my post was deleted and you were worried about people reading your PM's you can visit the software people who have written the forum software at http://communityserver.org/Default.aspx There is a forum there and somebody has asked about moderators and administrators seeing peoples PM's. The users name was Arkwright and if you do a search on that name you will find his/her post and the answer. I would like to point out that you should be aware that we do not have access to Archants computer systems.

[quote user="Cassis"][quote user="opas"]

Why would forumadmin or a mod have need to change a persons password anyway?

[/quote]

The only legitimate reason would be if they had lost their existing password and requested a new one.  Which I had not.
[/quote]

Moderators and Admin don't normally have to do that, if you go to the login and enter your email address then next to the password box there is an option (I forgot my Password) which then sends a new password to the email address given if they are a member. If you spoofed a persons email address you would get the email.

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Cassis"][quote user="opas"]

Why would forumadmin or a mod have need to change a persons password anyway?

[/quote]

The only legitimate reason would be if they had lost their existing password and requested a new one.  Which I had not.
[/quote]

Moderators and Admin don't normally have to do that, if you go to the login and enter your email address then next to the password box there is an option (I forgot my Password) which then sends a new password to the email address given if they are a member. If you spoofed a persons email address you would get the email.

[/quote]

Why would you?  Surely the mail would go direct to that person's email address and therefore to them, not you?

Not always, Google (dogpile.com is better) on 'How to spoof an email address' and there is loads of stuff on how to do it, if you can understand it that is. There are even websites set up to help you it would seem. I only know this because my email address has been spoofed for sending. If that happens then your email address will get black listed by anti spam software and it takes for ever to get it removed. I don't know what happens if the spoofing is for receiving emails but the search I suggested should help you.

What a load of cobras.  Talk about setting up a smokescreen.

Spoofing an email address is simple, especially for website based addresses. But spoofing is not the same as duplicating.  The effort involved in finding a correct duplicate address to the one I use to log in on this forum, then divining the password, far outweighs the pathetic benefit of changing my signature on this forum.  Plus my login address is not used as an address used to send mail from (EDIT/other than a small number of people with whom I have exchanged emails via the forum and all of whom are trustworthy and sensible). 

Come off it, this is not a credible explanation. 

There are actually a couple of things to consider.  It may be that whoever messed-up your (Cassis's) password did not actually change it but just requested a new one (thereby stopping/delaying your logging on).  From what has been said, moderators cannot explicitly change somebodies password but nobody has said they cannot request a new one to be e-mailed to you.

Secondly, lots has been said about what Moderators can and cannot do with regard to passwords but little said about what they can and cannot do with regard to changing people's footers (if they are of a technical bent and know the HTML necessary).

So, here's a hypothetical situation based solely on avoiding what we have been told cannot be done.  Somebody with e.g. Moderator or Admin access modified your (Cassis's) footer.  They, to delay them changing it back the request a new password for them (Archant e-mail systems will often ensure this is not delivered for some time) - thereby Cassis can see his embarrassing footer but cannot log-in to change it back.  Of course the above is all guess work and hypothetical.

10, 9, 8, 7, 6 ... poof (gone)

Ian

We can go round in circles like this for ever - we don't know what happened and exploring all these possibilities is just guessing and I can't see it's helping.

If you have a direct complaint about an individual mod you should be discussing it with admin, these guesses mixed in with a good dose of innuendo are unpleasant to say the least. 

Deimos, both Eslier and I have left notes for admin to attend to this matter, we can't physically make him do it though. Only you and he (correctly) know what is in your communication and any comment I might make would be guesswork and therefore inappropriate.

I've had a quick look at Quillan's reply.  Could you clarify? - If I logged off the site and came back in and entered the sausage's e-mail address (which is available to anybody who logs onto his website) as my  own and said I had lost my password, then the sausage would get an e-mail to say he has requested a change to his password?  Is it really that simple or have I missed something?  Because wasn't this precisely what happened to spark off this silly exchange and if so then anybody in posession of any other member's e-mail address could do this then couldn't they?  One would not need to be a mod' or admin'.

It's the simplest thing in the world to obtain another member's e-mail address.  Just respond using the e-mail button rather than pm and the moment they reply, bingo, you've got it.  Perhaps (as on other fora I use) the e-mail button should be got rid of so communications from the forum remained as pms until an e-mail address is freely given in private.

If I held a grudge against a moderator or the admin' of this forum, this is precisely the kind of dirty trick I would play as it's certainly having a damaging effect on forum life.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

We can go round in circles like this for ever - we don't know what happened and exploring all these possibilities is just guessing and I can't see it's helping.

If you have a direct complaint about an individual mod you should be discussing it with admin, these guesses mixed in with a good dose of innuendo are unpleasant to say the least. 

Deimos, both Eslier and I have left notes for admin to attend to this matter, we can't physically make him do it though. Only you and he (correctly) know what is in your communication and any comment I might make would be guesswork and therefore inappropriate.

[/quote]

Finally a mod gets the point (or partly)!

We are being ignored by Admin - so how do we get answers? You say we mustn't discuss it in public (for whatever reason I can't imagine as the offences take place publicly) but must contact Admin . Who then doesn't answer.

So what do we do?

I assume that this is the standard mod post before the whole thread gets pulled...

[quote user="cooperlola"]... and entered the sausage's e-mail address (which is available to anybody who logs onto his website) as my  own and said I had lost my password, then the sausage would get an e-mail to say he has requested a change to his password?[/quote]

[quote user="Cassis"]Plus my login address is not used as an address used to send mail from [/quote]

[quote user="cooperlola"]It's the simplest thing in the world to obtain another member's e-mail address.  Just respond using the e-mail button rather than pm and the moment they reply, bingo, you've got it.  Perhaps (as on other fora I use) the e-mail button should be got rid of so communications from the forum remained as pms until an e-mail address is freely given in private.[/quote]

In my case, the e-mail I use to log-on to LF is unique to my LF logon.  Thus, any mail I receive sent to that address I know came from (or was leaked by) the LF site.  Any mail I send is never sent from that e-mail address I use to log-on to the LF forums.  Sounds like Cassis uses a similar system.

In these days of SPAM, I find it very useful to use a massive number of different e-mail addresses.  In fact, whenever I enter an e-mail address to a site (be it registering for a forum, an web based enquiry, anything) I always use a new e-mail address and I then, when I receive SPAM I know exactly who leaked the address.  Also, it makes it much easier to block SPAM (or even persistent direct marketing) on specific e-mail addresses.

Ian

A good tip for security Ian.  I too use different e-mail addresses.  However, if I now sent you an e-mail using the mail button on your post, you would get an e-mail from me at your LF address.  If you thought I were an honest person (which you might!) then my point is that if you replied direct I would then have your LF e-mail address, wouldn't I?  My question is, could I then perform the dirty trick mentioned above?

I understand from your reply that you would use a different address to reply to me, but others may not.