Site gone loopy again

cooperlola

It's been sickly for over a week now, on and off. The tech guys have been monitoring it, and we've been reporting most errors to them, but today it's just pants [:(]

The likelihood of there being anyone available to do anything about it today or tomorrow is slim I suspect, so we may just have to grit our teeth and bear it for a couple of days.

I keep reading about new servers etc being implemented, I am sure several times now there has been some sort of upgrade (not that you would know it[:)]) but seriously each time something like this has to be implemented does it cost the site operators a pile of money?

If so I have every sympathy with them.

Certainly does cost a pile of dosh.  We're not talking popping down to the local PC shop and picking up a 'special'.  These will be Sun Executive Servers or similar, real beasts with huge amounts of grunt. They have (usually) from 2 to 16 processors in them, each is as big as your hand and each processor costs a whopping 30,000 pounds! but all that can be wasted if it's not implemented properly. Database tuning and load balancing is still a black art despite the many learned papers that have been written on the subject.

It certainly does cost a substantial amount of money to keep everything running smoothly. Unfortunately, as today's demonstrated sometimes even the best laid plans can fall apart....

One of our web filers developed a fault this afternoon that's managed to corrupt the website file systems.

This has meant that the webservers have been unable to access certain elements of our sites (including most of the forum systems), and the variety of "Server Error" pages you've probably been seeing were the direct result.

Work's under way at the moment to roll back to an earlier version of the filesystem and to restore stability.

Myself

and another IS engineer are on the case, along with emergency support from

the storage system vendor.

Hopefully things will be a little smoother through the weekend, and our 4 additional webservers should be online early next week - bringing further performance and stability improvements.

Tim

We're still trying to get to the bottom of what caused the crashes to happen so suddenly...

The storage system supplier currently believes our system suffered some form of critical failure that took the units offline. Replacement hardware is being dispatched to us for delivery Monday.

Am sat at home however as opposed to the office!