Printing a Forum Thread without the nonsense

jxedwards

Highlight the text you want to print with the mouse. Control C to copy.

Open a word document and 'Paste Special' as unformatted text. You should then have the plain text. The next step is to manually remove the places where there are too many carriage returns (that dates me)  / line feeds Example below :

Is there any way that a forum thread can be 'printer friendly' so when printed I do not use half acre of rain forest printing daft signatures and avatar's!!! I just want to print the 'meat & 2 veg'.

John

PS Yes mine is daft also.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even a stopped clock is correct twice a day!!

Today, 8:06 

Clair

Joined on 23/08/2004

------- Forum Moderator ------- Lot (46)

Posts 6,759  Re: Printing a Forum Thread without the nonsense

I don't think the forum software is up to it...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clair, a Real Virtual French Person

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

Highlight the text you want to print with the mouse. Control C to copy.

Open a word document and 'Paste Special' as unformatted text. You should then have the plain text. The next step is to manually remove the places where there are too many carriage returns (that dates me)  / line feeds Example below :

[/quote]

In Word you can use Find/Replace to remove the carriage returns using a control code, ^p. What I do is ask Word to replace ^p with xxx. This gives a text interspersed with xxx and xxxxxx etc.

Then replace xxxxxx with ^p^p to retain the original paragraph layout. The remaining xxx occurrences can be removed using a Find/Replace with just a spacebar press in Replace.

I find this particularly useful for long .txt passages which have been written in short lines.

• 2 weeks later...
YES YOU CAN !

I discovered this by sheer accident.

Look in the address bar and you will see that this page is called - www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1371940/ShowPost.aspx

Change Show to Print and you get THIS

If even comes up with your printer dialogue, or does for me.

Cool [8-|]

EDIT: Seems to work with some other forums too. Tried it on www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=27293780 with similar result [:D]

Ernie, well done you! 

Did you by any chance find the printthread thingy after doing a google custom search?  I've noticed that, when using the advanced google search options to restrict search results within a website or domain, sometimes a printthread/printpost result comes up for some sites, but I'd never made the obvious connection to use it to any advantage.

• 1 month later...
Update if anybody is interested [geek]

For multi page threads the simple substitution of Print for Show doesn't work however with a little URL editing they can be still be printed.

For example, this thread:

www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2/1451783/ShowPost.aspx#1451783

consist of 2 pages and to print it change Show for Print as usual but also strip out the page number, in this case /2, and the #1451783 at the end so it becomes:

www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/1451783/PrintPost.aspx

So far nor found a way to print a specific page from a multi page thread.