Forum Search

Fi

I must be doing something wrong.  I want to search the gite owners and b&b owners forums only for any info about information manuals.  I select those forums only in the advanced search page, only for all the forum to be searched.  With a word like manual I get a lot of diy/electrical/tv stuff which is totally irrelevant.  What am I doing wrong?

I enter the keywords

select selected forums (sorry fora) only

select the relevant ones

press search

Fi

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Maybe manual used in this context isn't the best word ? How about 'guide'

[/quote]

A good point and I will use that search criteria, but how do I select the specific forums?  When I do, it still gives me everything from everywhere.

I've a bad feeling I am being very dense and it is blindingly obvious.  Oh dear...

Fi

Tried that.  Sends me to the advanced search screen which doesn't seem to have any selectivity (sorry, was a direct marketing database manager in a previous life -  selectivity was all!).  This is still quite annoying though. 

Fi

[quote user="Fi"]Tried that.  Sends me to the advanced search screen which doesn't seem to have any selectivity (sorry, was a direct marketing database manager in a previous life -  selectivity was all!).  This is still quite annoying though. 

Fi

[/quote]

Well mine doesn't. Earlier today I needed to find a thread so I went to the TV and Internet section and typed in VISTA in the search box top right. It brought up a list of the postings in a thread I started recently which has the word VISTA in the title. Are you clicking on the search function without putting anything in the search box by any chance?

Not sure that this a solution but this is what happens:

if I enter a search term in the box and hit the return key it sends me to the advanced search screen

if I enter a search term and click on the search button with the mouse it does the search as requested.

Edit:  this only works within a thread.  If I search on the advanced search page, and either click or press enter, it still searches the whole forum.

I am not a great user of the mouse - too time-consuming - typing, then fiddling around with the mouse, then typing again.  I (nearly) always use the keyboard - I'll just have to slow down a bit I suppose ..

Thanks for all the input

My problem isn't really with the search terms to use (in fact I was looking for any previous threads about welcome guides/house rules that kind of thing) it is more with selecting specific forums (fora I s'pose!) to search.  From the advanced search screen, I found it impossible to select specific forums to search, it would only search everything so I got a lot of irrelevant stuff from, for example, home improvements.

Fi

[quote user="Fi"]I was looking for any previous threads about welcome guides/house rules that kind of thing)[/quote]

Can I ask, was the thread that I linked to what you were after?

Edit: You need to click on the word this (in my original post) using your mouse!

[quote user="teapot"]Go on Fi, start a new thread on guide manuals [I] [:)][/quote]

Do I have to?  It could start a war......[:D]

Maricopa - thanks for the link (sorry I haven't done this before) - pretty much perfect!  Now all I've got to do is find a nice kind French person to read the French version and point out any howlers...

Fi

In my experience the search function seems quite crude and inaccurate. To illustrate try this:

Click SEARCH without typing anything into the box, quick way to get to the advanced search page.

Type in keywords BUGATTI AND VEYRON

Click SELECTED FORUMS

Click ABOUT THIS FORUM (READ ONLY) then scroll down to the end and whilst holding down SHIFT click on CORSICA & NOM-TOMS. This selects all forums.

Scroll back up and whilst holding down CTRL click DRIVING IN FRANCE. You have now excluded that forum from your search.

Now search.

Of the 7 results returned 4 are from the excluded DRIVING IN FRANCE forum !

I rest my case [;-)]