Forum security

Scooby

Odile... perhaps you could explain something to me.  The poster-sign with the ISP was a childish prank but no harm was done.  Jay-Jay posted an explanation very promptly so we all knew the details in the ISP sign were actually our own... so we all knew that no breach had been made. You mentioned that you had a very enjoyable evening with friends and came back to the thread later to discover (you thought) that your details had been made public.  However, I am assuming you continued to read so I dont understand why you never read Jay-Jay's post... or mine about the sign... both were posted whilst you were with friends.

You then posted how unsavoury you found the prank... but then, in error due to your distress, posted a PM by mistake.  Instead of simply editing the pm/post and deleting the private text, you posted again and again, drawing everyone's attention to your pm... Why did you simply not edit it yourself.  This could have saved you so much distress and worry?

Last night's debate was 'interesting' to say the least!  From an outsiders point of view I felt everyone made their points and I'm not sure there were any winners.  Removing the thread was maybe the only way the moderators could put an end to the squabble... it's a shame it's had to be ressurected here, where some folks wont know or have sight of the previous thread.  In my mind I think all of you made comments and remarks that would have perhaps been better left unsaid!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="odile"]does that make any difference at all, surely you don't want to even suggest bringing racism here too?
 I hold a British Passport which is as good as yours. Accepting insults and threats, with a pretense that a poster knows where I live and all my internet details- and posted them in a middle of a post (with a threat)- has nothing to do with having a sense of humour, and you know it well.  Mods should have pulled him up on this immediately- irrespective on whether they agreed with my opinions, always expressed politely, whether they 'like' me, or whether I was born and bred in Britain. Most here I am sure agree- even if they disagreed with what I said.

[/quote]

Well maybe its just you then Odile because the post clearly had [:D] in it, we use these symbols to indicate humour..... I suppose you missed that ? Really, do you honestly think that anyone seriously threatening you would do it on a public forum ?  

Just in time - Rose I tried to remove immediately - but was told 'time out' and was totally unable to delete. I asked admin to do this for me twice, but this was ignored.

Some things better left unsaid. I can see your point. But perhaps you know little of the subject. Thanks for your comments Rose.

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]It is not a casual link, the British are well known for their sense of humour, just as the Germans are for placing towels on sunbeds in the middle of the night to reserve them . THey are called National traits [:D][/quote]

I didn't say "casual link" but CAUSAL link as in "cause and effect."........

God, what is it with these Brits![:D][:P]  You've got to teach them their own language as well as everything else.........LOL!

Perhaps you could now explain to us all about national traits; traits being a word of French and prior to that of Latin origin, of course.  Hardly anglo-saxon, as I'm sure you already realise.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]It is not a casual link, the British are well known for their sense of humour, just as the Germans are for placing towels on sunbeds in the middle of the night to reserve them . THey are called National traits [:D][/quote]

God, what is it with these Brits![:D][:P]  You've got to teach them their own language as well as everything else.........LOL!

Perhaps you could now explain to us all about national traits; traits being a word of French and prior to that of Latin origin, of course.  Hardly anglo-saxon, as I'm sure you already realise.

[/quote]

Who said I was British,certainly not me.[:D]

[quote user="Boiling a frog"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Would it be fair to say from a comment you made in the now deleted thread that you are infact Scottish? If so we know where you live [:P]

Scotland [;-)]

Actually if you look just to the left of the Report button there is an IP address. This is supposed to be the IP address of the person who has posted. It was turned off within days (about 2 if memory serves) of this software being installed as a security messure so if you look now the IP address is the same on nearly every post regardless of who the person is. For those that are interested any IP address starting with 192.168 is hidden from the rest of the world. If you do a 'who is' it will come up with "Internet Assigned Numbers Authority" IANA as its normally refered to and is "reserved for special purposes" i.e. internal secure networks.

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Boiling a frog"][quote user="sweet 17"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Would it be fair to say from a comment you made in the now deleted thread that you are infact Scottish? If so we know where you live [:P]

Scotland [;-)]

[/quote]

It would be fair to say that I worked for a number of years in Scotland.[kiss]

As for knowing where I live, I think there is a massive clue in my profile at the side of the posts [:D]

[quote user="Quillan"]Gosh I never thought of that, I can feel some paranoia setting in, is it contagious [;-)][/quote]

Paranoia seems to be your favourite word.

Perhaps it could be suggested that you stub out your fag put down you copy of Malius Malificarum and consider whether my diagnosis of self induced smug pronoia is closer to the truth.

It would explain a lot of you actions.

[quote user="Quillan"]Gosh, been reading the dictionary again. I don't suppose there's any feint chance your considering going the same way as your friend. Probably not, we wouldn't get that lucky.[/quote]

I am the first to admit that my vocabulary is better than my spelling.

But sadly it is you that needs a dictionary.

I suppose it was a freudian slip involving deceit.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=28394&dict=CALD

Glass houses stones...

In another thread now locked you have claimed that a moderator and I suspect you were referring to me took the deleted thread off topic. The thread went of topic some time back then got back on topic and drifted to a halt as threads do. Odile actually reopened the thread on the 30th (July) nearly a week after the last post. Her first post was about Leicester but shortly after (11 minutes to be exact) made a post about masons, there is no gap or post between the two. It was Odile who took the thread off subject and nobody else.

It's strange how you bring this up after the thread has been deleted when other forum members do not have the ability to check to see if you are telling the truth. Fortunately the thread is still available to the moderators so I can check. Yet again you are not telling the truth and manipulating things to make you appear right and others wrong.

You don't seem to care who you hurt, I have just seen message from a very distraught widow whose departed husband was a mason and she has taken deep offence at your comments and in particular "I have yet to meet an honest mason". You have effectively called this ladies husband dishonest, she is very, very, upset.

[quote user="Quillan"]

In another thread now locked you have claimed that a moderator and I suspect you were referring to me took the deleted thread off topic. The thread went of topic some time back then got back on topic and drifted to a halt as threads do. Odile actually reopened the thread on the 30th (July) nearly a week after the last post. Her first post was about Leicester but shortly after (11 minutes to be exact) made a post about masons, there is no gap or post between the two. It was Odile who took the thread off subject and nobody else.

It's strange how you bring this up after the thread has been deleted when other forum members do not have the ability to check to see if you are telling the truth. Fortunately the thread is still available to the moderators so I can check. Yet again you are not telling the truth and manipulating things to make you appear right and others wrong.

You don't seem to care who you hurt, I have just seen message from a very distraught widow whose departed husband was a mason and she has taken deep offence at your comments and in particular "I have yet to meet an honest mason". You have effectively called this ladies husband dishonest, she is very, very, upset.

[/quote]

And no doubt Odile is very upset at that your post which I have pasted below from the now deleted thread.

Jay Jay - I think everyone is flogging a dead horse with regards to Odile (and Dog, a world of his own totally apart from the rest of us mortals). I think she makes too many assumptions, does not read or listen and never, ever answers a question unless it suits her. I have no idea what profession she once held, I dread to think. One things for sure she would not be the type of person I would employ, nothing to do with masons I hasten to add but more to do with the way she behaves and thinks in general. An extremely ill informed and single minded woman with the ability never to listen to reason even when pointed to the truth.

[quote user="ebaynut"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

And no doubt Odile is very upset at that your post which I have pasted below from the now deleted thread.

Jay Jay - I think everyone is flogging a dead horse with regards to Odile (and Dog, a world of his own totally apart from the rest of us mortals). I think she makes too many assumptions, does not read or listen and never, ever answers a question unless it suits her. I have no idea what profession she once held, I dread to think. One things for sure she would not be the type of person I would employ, nothing to do with masons I hasten to add but more to do with the way she behaves and thinks in general. An extremely ill informed and single minded woman with the ability never to listen to reason even when pointed to the truth.

[/quote]

At least its not something alluding to the dishonesty of a deceased spouse

Given the context in which it was written I would write the same again. If you have got copies of the posts you might also see that at least three if not four other people pointed out exactly the same and you might explain the context in which it was written. Its the same as it was herself that told people where she lives now i.e. Jura in every post she has made (just above the number of posts she has made on the left side of the screen) and likewise it was her who said where she had lived in the UK before she moved to Jura permanently. If memory serves she has also (possibly inadvertently) given the town in Jura where she lives (which I can't remember and would not personally repeat anyway) in another thread about something totally different.

Anyway we are drifting now in the same direction that got the other thread locked.

I'm sorry eBaynut but no you cannot. If you refer to the Code of Conduct it says :

Comments or questions regarding the general administration of the forum should be made by "private message" or using the "Report" link to the moderators or direct to Forum Admin. Such comments or questions should not be posted in the open forum.

There are good reasons for this, so further discussion will result in the thread being locked

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="ebaynut"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

At least its not something alluding to the dishonesty of a deceased spouse

Given the context in which it was written I would write the same again. If you have got copies of the posts you might also see that at least three if not four other people pointed out exactly the same and you might explain the context in which it was written. Its the same as it was herself that told people where she lives now i.e. Jura in every post she has made (just above the number of posts she has made on the left side of the screen) and likewise it was her who said where she had lived in the UK before she moved to Jura permanently. If memory serves she has also (possibly inadvertently) given the town in Jura where she lives (which I can't remember and would not personally repeat anyway) in another thread about something totally different.

Anyway we are drifting now in the same direction that got the other thread locked.

[/quote]

I thought it was against forum rules for you to bring up this matter.

Firstly I offer my condolence to your widowed friend.

I would never question your probity but can you prove I ever met the late Mason?

It's handy the posts disappeared isn't it or you could be checked up on.

[quote user="Dog"]It's handy the posts disappeared isn't it or you could be checked up on.[/quote]

When you subscribe to notifications, you receive a copy of the posts in your email box, then there's no doubt about who posted what and when it was posted.

Quite right Clair.

I have kept the last few days but I doubt like many other whether I need to trawl through them.

I normally bin them without reading them.

I think O and his paranoia thinks all posts are about him.

How do you do smilies? I think that's what I must be doing wrong.

I predate mobile phones, humour and smilies.

She is well respected, long standing, very intelligent member of this forum. Unfortunatly she feels that she would not like to post herself on this matter because she would leave herself open to ridicule by yourself. I do know that for her to say that shes upset about your comment  is an understatement and very rare.

Just to make one thing very clear about all this I have never had my moderators hat on for any of it (removed threads, locked threads etc) and have left all decisions to my fellow moderators to ensure there is no colusion between them and me what so ever. The only thing I have access to is the deleted threads and posts but then as Clair has said (and due to the quickness of replies) many get emails once a post has been submitted and as such would have a copy themselves of everything in these deleted and locked threads.