Regions

Maricopa

I posted this idea as part of a response to someone's question, but wonder if it could be actioned?

I have always wondered why on the front box of each section on the forum home page they don't just list the regions or departments that the Editors consider each covers.

The regions shown don't work at all; a change would be very good. For example SE is a huge area.

Would it be possible to have it changed to show names eg Languedoc Roussillon, Normandy, as in the Living France magazine? It would be a lot easier for people to find where they need, and maybe list events  more often.Smile [:)]

GG

[quote user="lacote0_0"]Why not the French regions, possibly with a reminder somewhere of the departements which each includes?
[/quote]

I think it is asking too much. All current posts would then have to be sorted between each of the new sections.  All am I asking is to list on the home page what each section covers (as for example is already done for the SW, Aquitaine and Midi-Pyrénées).

To prevent confusion such as this.

Apart from the original issue of where exactly Lyon is situated (I'm told that to a French person it's in both the Sud Est and the Est), I don't think that there are any ongoing posts which would need to be sorted if Rhone-Alpes were to be made a new section on its own.

Although I rarely read posts by board (I tend to just look at the Active topics and read the things whose titles sound interesting) - I'd certainly find the regional post more interesting if they were more area specific. There's rarely anything about my area so I rarely post about local events etc, which I might if it were georgraphically less broad.  How about "Child Boards" within each existing one, reflecting the official French Regions?  Any Mods about - what do they think?

I quite agree, Cooperlola. There is very little activity on the regional boards, and I would imagine part of the reason is that some of the areas are huge, so you can't really relate to them.

I recently put an event on the south east board, as it was one we would have loved to go to, but we were in UK. Reflecting on it, probably very few people had even heard of the place. Very little about events is to be found there; I feel there would  be much more use made if people felt the sections were more relevant to them. For example the board for southeast covers a huge geographical area, and the same applies to others. Presumably it wouldn't take much to split the areas up as you suggest.

GG

These headings already exist to some extent in the magazine, eg Poitou-Charentes covers 16, 17, 86, 79, and while there might be a problem of devil take the hindmost, the new posts could be correctly identified and might stimulate some additional regional specific postings; As Cooperlola mentions even if someone only surfs the active list they could be tempted to check out their region of interest as well.[8-|]

For anyone else that wasn't aware of the Active boards forum view, here it is http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/TopicsActive.aspx

And gardengirl, to add a smiley to your posts, you need to click on the "Insert Smiley" box at the top of the post reply box (the ones that you see at the bottom of the reply box are used as icons next to the post title, like this speccy-eyed one I've attached to my title).

[quote user="Clair"]I have updated the titles of each regional forum and each now lists the specific regions covered.

Even though some threads may now appear to be in the wrong regional forum, it would be much too much aggro to move them, so they'll stay where they are... [:)]

[/quote]

Many thanks.  I thought it might be too much aggro to move threads[:D]