posting links

Patf

[quote user="Patf"]Surprised to see this thread revived. I wonder if I'll have any more success this time:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony
No, it still doesn't work, and I did use the ball and chain icon.
The strange thing is that my links used to work - I used to post music links from youtube and they worked.
[/quote]

The activation of the link can be done in several ways which leads to confusion. But if you copy an address directly from the address bar at the top of the browser it will be already activated; then if in the posting you right click then you get a contextual menu then left click on paste and you will get a clickable link.

For example I copy your dead link, then paste in the browser address bar then click return then the dictionary page will open. If I then copy and paste the address it will be active.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/irony

There you are; now that may seem daft BUT frequently one is browsing and one comes across an interesting page that you think everyone would like the opportunity of looking at. 

1° Left click on the address and it will turn blue.

2° Right click on the blue bit.

3° Left click on Copy in the contextual menu.

4° Paste in your post.  Job done!

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/happiness

No ball & chain, no clickable torn paper compatibility icons, no nothing.[;-)]

Sorry - ignore me. I am just having to make a post in order to UNtick the "email me replies" box. My Inbox is swamped with messages for this thread which I didn't know I was following!

Angela (tiptoeing away quietly)

EDIT Still seem to be getting them; trying again

Thanks for the advice PPP which I followed to the letter but still results in an unclickable link. I think it must be something to do with my computer and I'm not technical enough to say what the problem is.

Can't find any mention of compatibility in the toolbars either.

Pat.

[quote user="Patf"]Thanks for the advice PPP which I followed to the letter but still results in an unclickable link. I think it must be something to do with my computer and I'm not technical enough to say what the problem is.
Can't find any mention of compatibility in the toolbars either.
Pat.
[/quote]

Strange! What is your Operating System? Which Browser and version are you using?

• 8 months later...
Still having problems here putting in links. Tried just putting in the address, tried using the little box all to no avail. Even tried typing in [url*] - [/url*] and [*url=address]title[*/url] but nothing.  Tried on Opera and Firefox.

The * I have added .