private messages

NickP

If you get a PM, it will have been viewed at least once by the sender, then viewed again by you, and any reply you make will be viewed by you and the original sender. So that accounts for three or four views at least, without anybody else being involved. If this simple conversation showed views into double figures though I might start worrying. I believe there was a glitch a long time back, but that was resolved.

[quote user="Will"]If you get a PM, it will have been viewed at least once by the sender, then viewed again by you, and any reply you make will be viewed by you and the original sender. So that accounts for three or four views at least, without anybody else being involved. If this simple conversation showed views into double figures though I might start worrying. I believe there was a glitch a long time back, but that was resolved.
[/quote]

Thanks Will that seems to make sense.

• 2 months later...
Don't worry, I do remember asking before. It is just that most simple pm's which do not turn into an exchange or discussion = 3 viewings - but from time to time it is 6. I'd just like to understand why and how a normal 3 turns into a funny 6.

[quote user="Swissie"]Don't worry, I do remember asking before. It is just that most simple pm's which do not turn into an exchange or discussion = 3 viewings - but from time to time it is 6. I'd just like to understand why and how a normal 3 turns into a funny 6.

[/quote]

It's the other person trying to remember what they wrote to you about ....

(yes, I've done it myself. Several times)

Regards

Pickles

Often when I'm replying to a PM I open a new tab with the original so it is available in full along with the reply I'm composing.

To do this in Firefox I just left click Reply and drag it to the tab bar - voila - a new tab with the last post ready to type a reply but with the entire original but a click away [;-)]

You can of course do this with normal posts too.

It's to do with the short attention span that most of us are reduced to, you see, Swissie![:D]

Without looking at the original post and indeed my own reply, I would not be able to keep my end of any conversation up!

In fact, I find myself increasingly asking OH to repeat what he has just told me.  Therefore either going deaf, no longer find what he says interesting, can no longer fashion a reply or too busy talking and muttering to myself to pay attention to anyone else.

Hope that explains it to you?

• 4 weeks later...