New Board Section?

idun

I have recently found that it was quite difficult to discuss certain aspects of what happened on the DSK thread. Felt like I had to watch every word I wrote, as some posters could have found some of it offensive, perhaps. I don't nkow. So I was wondering if there should not be a more 'adult' section on this board. Where one clicks if one is over18 and realises that there might be offensive language etc.

I'm in no way suggesting anything obscene, but somewhere  where adults can have discussions.

I was wondering what other posters thought about this idea.

And mods, if the answer is no, then I will understand.

I can't see any need for such a section. I have the impression that most readers/contributors are (well) over 18, so why not just take care with what you write (which is what we should all do) and that way you'll have less chance of offending anyone. [;-)]

However, I find that I can offend people from time to time just by being direct, and that's without any "mature" content. [:-))] 

[quote user="idun"]

I have recently found that it was quite difficult to discuss certain aspects of what happened on the DSK thread. Felt like I had to watch every word I wrote, as some posters could have found some of it offensive, perhaps. I don't nkow. So I was wondering if there should not be a more 'adult' section on this board. Where one clicks if one is over18 and realises that there might be offensive language etc.

I'm in no way suggesting anything obscene, but somewhere  where adults can have discussions.

I was wondering what other posters thought about this idea.

And mods, if the answer is no, then I will understand.

[/quote]

I think that the filter which appears to be built in to this forum needs to be looked at. I assume that the software was bought "off the peg" from America and contains a filter which censors words which are inoffensive to all but Bible-belt, born again, sub-teens.

Test:

How can Christians write about Jesus entering Jerusalem riding on an ass? How can I describe the birds in my garden?  I have a nesting box containing redstart chicks, I have often seen the hen but never the cock. I can visit Oradour but can't describe the Nazi atrocity.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

CK : Archant run many forums and much of the word screening is common to them all.

[/quote]

That is as it may be, it does not change the fact that the screening is culturally inappropriate and can transform sensible discussion into farce.

Fair enough.

As Clark Kent's post shows, so much is already 'xxxx' rated when there is nothing whatsoever wrong with the words in question. So yes, it can turn a sensible conversation into something rather undignified. 

[quote user="Clarkkent"][quote user="Russethouse"]

CK : Archant run many forums and much of the word screening is common to them all.

[/quote]

That is as it may be, it does not change the fact that the screening is culturally inappropriate and can transform sensible discussion into farce.

[/quote]

With several words it depends on the context - frankly I don't think the mod team want to spend time sorting out spats over this type of thing ( unless you'd like to pay us of course ? )

You are absolutely correct.  Context.

It does depend on the context - the context here being that this is forum whose membership is mainly British and whose discussions are mainly about France. I imagine that all of Archant's forums are also British and European in focus. I don't believe for one second that there is any malicious intent in forcing software that contains culturally inappropriate screens onto users, nor would I consider that the purchasing decision was anything but rational, but I do think appropriate criteria were not considered.

Some years ago there was a change of software and the mods were invited to give their opinion. If I remember rightly we lobied quite hard for a different software but at the end the one we liked wasn't fit for Archants purpose, they know the technical parameters better than us.

If I remember rightly we can add words to the profanity filter, but I don't think we can delete them.....