SMTP?

My daughter is coming down this summer and wants to be able to receive and send mails through here computer using something called Entourage. To do this, she says she needs some code or other which is possibly called SWTP - which seems to be some sort of outgoing address. How do I get hold of this svp? Is this the right bit of code or whatever that she is likely to need?

Be gentle with me please you experts!

'Entourage' is simply the mail programme bundled with Microsoft office for Macs.

If she is bringing her machine with her it will work no problem. If she want to use your PC she will only need the details for logging on that are already in her machine.

If she's bringing her own Mac and just using it with your broadband connection then any SMTP configuration will already be in place.

The easiest thing is just to use a cable connection from her laptop to your internet box and it should work, unless she has some unusual stuff like a proxy server set up.

If you need any help with tweaking the settings you could start here:

http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/535/How+can+I+setup+email+in+Entourage%3F#gs

Not Alfred

Sorry Bugsy but to use Entourage on her MAC she will still need to configure it for the ISP's SMTP server.

Whether she is bringing her Mac an easy option might be http://mail2web.com

As a clumsier alternatively she could set up a new free email A/C with say Yahoo or Gmail then create a forwarding rule, or rules, in Entourage. She will receive emails and can reply to them via the new A/C.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]If she's bringing her own Mac and just using it with your broadband connection then any SMTP configuration will already be in place[/quote]SMTP configuration is in the email client not the router - is it not ?

[quote user="AnOther"]Sorry Bugsy but to use Entourage on her MAC she will still need to configure it for the ISP's SMTP server.

[/quote]

Sorry Ern, I was assuming that she would already have the programme on her Mac otherwise why would she need to use Entourage anyway.

[quote user="AnOther"]Retrieval is one thing, sending another, I receive email on my iPhone but still had to enter the SMTP server to be able to send, i.e. smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
[/quote]

But you don't need to change that when you move from one country (or ISP) to another, do you?

I own two domains (one UK, one French) accessed through different hosting companies and the SMTP details in my Outlook settings refer to each them by the appropriate hosting company's (Fasthosts and 1and1) server name, with no mention of my ISP (Orange). When my son comes to visit he just plugs into my box and his email works fine incoming and outgoing.

[quote user="AnOther"]Retrieval is one thing, sending another, I receive email on my iPhone but still had to enter the SMTP server to be able to send, i.e. smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk

[/quote]

But, as said previously, she will, or should already have that information.

I have sent and received emails, using various WiFi sources, all over the place and have never had a problem.

edit: as Albert has confirmed.

I have no idea what this is all about. All my email accounts are independant of my server and no matter where we have been I have used friends puters to send and receive emails, Is this just 'idiots luck'? as I have never had a problem.  I'm pretty sure one friend has an apple laptop too.

Wooly, I use Entourage on my Mac so when I bring it to France I have to do the same thing.

In fact anybody bringing a computer to your house - whether Mac or PC, would have to do the same thing.

Your daughter should have no trouble RECEIVING emails in the normal way via your connection.

But to SEND emails, she will have to open up Entourage and go to Tools -> Accounts -> New, and create another account entering her normal account details for receiving emails, but YOUR smtp info for outgoing mail. Whenever she wants to send emails, she will then just have to remember to click a drop-down option in the "From" box of the email, and select the new account she has set up - to which she should give an easily identifiable name such as "from Dad's house".

[EDIT: Actually, she just needs to make this new account her default one for the time she is staying with you.]

To find what the smtp setting for outgoing messages is, you have to look at your own email program and see what you set up there at the outset.

For example to set my Mac up to use my French internet connection, I had to change the outgoing mail to "smtp.orange.fr". But yours might be different.

Angela