Okaaaay, I'll try again

YCCMB

After a brief respite yesterday, I'm back to the following situation:

Can access CF, no problem. Am perfectly able to access the index page. If I then click on "Active topics" I get completely bumped off the site, and the tab I'm browsing in reverts to being a "new tab", unconnected to any site.

The only way I can read anything, or post, is to wade through the site, forum by forum.

I had that too a few times last week, when I could only access the Active view from the main page of the forum, but it's back to normal now.

Sorry I can't suggest anything, as I didn't do anything specific to resolve it; it just seemed to sort itself out.

I had it happen quite a bit a few days ago, but it's working fine now.

You could perhaps try clearing your browser's cache..

http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache

But, curiouser and curiouser, by way of testing a theory, I logged off the forum, hit the active topics link (which worked) and then tried to log back in again.  I couldn't get back in, kept getting the The username and password you have entered do not match our records error.  After about 5 attempts, I remembered the post by Polly http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2572326/ShowPost.aspx  and tried logging in with caps lock on (CAPITALS) and blow me, it worked.  Must be a coincidence thought I, so tried it a few more times.  I never got back in unless I put logged in in CAPS!

I shall have to eat my words [8-)]

Well, oddly, it happened to me 2 days ago, was fine yesterday and is playing up again today.

Thanks for the "clear the cache" Wiki...Cat, you have no idea how that made me giggle. Not that you have been anything other than helpful and kind, but I run a small forum and every time ANYTHING goes wrong (I'm convinced they'd probably suggest it as a cure for ingrowing toenails) they suggest clearing the cache. Their "Plan B" is "use a different browser"[:-))]

Nothing to do with them, you, or my ingrowing toenails, but I tend to clear my cache pretty regularly anyway, and always as a first resort before going on to take various measures, usually culminating in me switching off the laptop altogether and reaching for my netbook! (It's that or extreme violence)

Thanks, anyway. At least I know I'm not alone!

• 2 weeks later...
It's still the same.....and just to make things curiouser and curiouser, it's never gone away, but what happens is that I can never go to "active topics" from the main forum page in the mornings, but usually sometime in the afternoon it all goes back to normal..

Oh nooooooooooooooooooooo.....I was exhorted to do that a few weeks ago by a person from Orange via the Indian sub-continent. It took me a switch to a prehistoric livebox and then the purchase of a new router before I had normal service again. Also about a fortnight of angst and wailing and gnashing of teeth....

I also pressed a switch on the box, as I said, under instruction from someone in the far-flung corners of our former Empire. It wasn't just a router resetting problem, you understand...my internet speed had also deteriorated from OK to slow to non-existent, and Orange didn't want to take my word for the fact that it was the ADSL signal until they had explored every other possible avenue and worn my patience and my nerves to shreds. It killed the box, dead, forever, so I had to resurrect the ancient, unused livebox I was sent 7 years ago. Then I found out that pairing a livebox with an ipod touch is such a hit and miss affair that even Mother Theresa would probably end up mouthing expletives, and after losing 2 days of my life that I'll never get back trying to sort it out, I took the line of least resistance and bought a new router.

It's afternoon now, and "active topics" is working again.[:)]

• 3 months later...
Well, it's been a while now...and it's no better. Since last posting, I've reset my router several times for various reasons, not visited here for a week or so, cleared my cache and temp folders, run CCleaner and Malwarebytes at least once each, loaded some windows updates and  been completely logged off this site.

From early morning to about 11.30 am all is fine. From then to later on - sort of mid-p.m., if I click on "active topics" I'm thrown into the ether.