Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

YCCMB

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Chancer"][quote user="cooperlola"]

so that we get a forum we can use and which will attract advertisers so Archant bring it back up to scratch and keep it going.  Isn't that what we want?

I'm as guilty as anybody of having had a good moan on this thread.  Mostly, I reckon all would have been much better if we had had advanced notice, then I think even Archant might have got a bit of a sympathy vote. However, I've made some good (genuine, not just cyber) friends on this forum.  I hope they don't leave because of an IT c*ck up and a poorly managed changeover.  The forum isn't about that - it's about mutual support and help plus a little fun either having a good rant or a good laugh.  Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water along with the toys.[/quote]

This is an interim posting from me; frustration with the page jumping out of view all the time!

I echo your sentiments and my reason for staying away is that I have nothing to offer except negativity, I do believe that if you have nothing good to say then say nothing  .

I miss the forum, as it was, not the software but the postings, the community etc, my fear is that unless prompt action is taken and judging by the past I am sceptical that it will, then the damage, perhaps fatal has already been done.

I do sincerely hope that I am wrong.[/quote]

Me too, for most of the above, though I'm sure the forum will survive because it's about the users, and perhaps we'll laugh at the crash of 2012 next time, but I do find it a shame that more successful web designers weren't used, perhaps its down to budget, but you gets what you pay for. With the possible exception of another French forum I have not experienced such a debacle, here's hoping it will be sorted out. . .  eventually

[quote user="Frederick"] You now know some web designer wizz kid is sitting at his desk in tears now dont you ?
[/quote] I do hope so [:D]

I can remember (just) years ago when the forum crashed. I think it had to be restored with the loss of some posts (ah I remember now it was when we changed the forum software) and we had all sorts of problems. One or two left, like now, but there is something about this forum that draws them back. Must be the stunning good looks, natural wit and general charm of the moderators. (there's supposed to be a smiley here but it don't work). Never mind free beer tomorrow!

I ain't daft enough to be caught by that one Q working on the principle that tomorrow never comes, it's always tomorrow. So free beer today or not at all mate!![6]

My smilies work [8-|][8-|]

Just as a matter of interest to the poster wot was panicking about the other forum being down. They have been e-mailing folk for a couple of months now that it was going to happen and the last one I got was yesterday telling me they were down from 09.00 to 17.00 so they should be back up now??

[quote user="cooperlola"][quote user="You can call me Betty"]I've killed the lavender..

[URL=http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/croixblanches/cf.png][IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/croixblanches/th_cf.png[/IMG][/URL]

[/quote]How did you do that?  Without changing browser, that is.[/quote]

I mentioned it earlier. I simply used adblock plus....

[quote user="Catalpa"][quote user="You can call me Betty"]I've killed the lavender...[/quote]Well, don't you kill mine... I like lavender... [kiss]

[/quote]

I like lavender too. In my garden. On my webpage, however, it's distracting. And it doesn't even smell nice![:D]

Coops, sorry... it's an add-on for Firefox, so if that's not your browser of choice (and I seem to remember in the general melee that it isn't) then don't bother googling, you'll be wasting even more time.

It's one of the main reasons I DO like FF, because with ABP enabled, I can get rid of most (regrettably, not quite all) of the annoying adverts that seem to plague most webpages.

It does have an ie version but I'm having trouble downloading it.  I'll persist for a while and report back if it works on the lavender.  I don't mind the stuff but what's the point in having a wide screen when over a third of it is useless?  Pretty, but useless.

[quote user="cooperlola"] ... the lavender.  I don't mind the stuff but what's the point in having a wide screen when over a third of it is useless? [/quote]

I have almost obliterated the lavender by making the font size larger just for this website, which means the lavender is only visible over just a few mms either side of the forum page.  This has had the added benefit in that I can now read the print without straining my eyes.

Sue [blink]

Adblocker may block ads on IE but it doesn't kill lavender.

Yes, I could try the font size thing (and probably will) but - I say again - why should I still be p***ing about doing all these fixes (which other forum members have kindly figured out) four days after I was initially shut out of the forum?  Yes, I can cope with all this but is that the kind of forum the advertisers believe they are paying to be on?  If it were my money I'd be kicking up a stink by now.  Maybe I'll e-mail them next.

EDIT : Quillin, in case you are in any doubt the rant is not for the mods but for James and Archant.[:)]

[quote user="cooperlola"]It does have an ie version but I'm having trouble downloading it.  I'll persist for a while and report back if it works on the lavender.  I don't mind the stuff but what's the point in having a wide screen when over a third of it is useless?  Pretty, but useless.[/quote]

Does that make it pretty useless then Coops [Www]

Betty, I can call you Betty can't eye? ABP? What is that pretty please? I use FF and haven't heard of it. Sounds very useful!

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]If you go to your Firefox add-ons, in "tools" and look for AdBlock Plus, you should find it there. [/quote]

And very useful it is too. I've used it since I signed up for FF; which is probably why I find IE so hard to tolerate when I have to use it.

Sue

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="You can call me Betty"]If you go to your Firefox add-ons, in "tools" and look for AdBlock Plus, you should find it there. [/quote] And very useful it is too. I've used it since I signed up for FF; which is probably why I find IE so hard to tolerate when I have to use it.[/quote]

And me!

I have it on Chrome too, but for some unknown reason, I can't get it to work as easily or efficiently there.

Re the 'orible purple' please do not adjust your set or in this case your PC.

The website of which the forum is part of is written for a screen resolution of 1024 x 768. This very much used to be the normal setting until recently. My screen setting is 1280 x 1024 which means I get a lot of the background picture showing.

What has happened is that the first 'layer' of the website is the picture which is auto adjusting to fit any resolution screen. The next 'layer' is the page which is a fixed, in this case just under 1024 x 768 so when viewed in that resolution you get a very small bit of the picture showing (about 5mm down each side). The higher the resolution you make your screen the webpage will remain the same size resolution wise so will appear to get smaller with a larger amount of the picture showing down the sides. In my case with my resolution I get about 4cm down each side.

The bits down the side are absolutely nothing to do with any advertisement and using an advert blocking software will not make it go away. What you have done is inadvertently changed the resolution of your screen.

Be warned that if you change the resolution of your screen all your icons will move and when you change the resolution back they will not be in the same place. Basically change your resolution (not a good thing because of the effect it may have on other programs and websites) or just learn to live with the purple picture.

[quote user="Quillan"]The bits down the side are absolutely nothing to do with any advertisement and using an advert blocking software will not make it go away. What you have done is inadvertently changed the resolution of your screen.[/quote]

Not quite...

I have bloked the background image by adding its location to the AdBlock Plus filters:

completefrance.com/polopoly_fs/complete_france_stylesheet_1058_7_17101!background.jpg

No change of screen resolution.

Where did my post go? I hit Post and it disappeared!

So does the background disappear but the forum later/frame stay the same size or does it expand to fit the width of the browser.

What I meant is that the picture is not an advert, just a picture.