Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???

YCCMB

Use the "torn page" icon in the IE8 toolbar when using XP in order to toggle between compatability on and compatability off.

For posting compatability must be on.

For comfortable forum viewing with no white expanse and minimal vertical scrolling compatibility must be off.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="gardengirl "]Thanks again Clair. I've just tried adjusting the zoom via 'View' on the toolbar, and got in a right pickle; back now to too wide, but no lavendery edges! And of course, I can't read the full width of posts. But ................

Plus, I've emailled Archant - hope they've had pleny of other messages from posters outlining their main problems. I'm not aginst some change - we all have to adapt (but I do wonder who thought it a good move to alienate posters who might buy their magazines and use their advertisers) and why the changes had to be so many and so sudden - with no notice at all.

I must say that I didn't think the mods were to blame for any of this - sorry they've received some flack.[/quote]

I'm not sure if you're using Firefox, Chrome or IE to view the forum, so...

For Firefox, see HERE for various options.

For Chrome, see HERE.

For IE, see HERE.

Hopefully, someone at IT  will take notice and make the necessary changes... [geek]

And thanks for your last comment... We're all in the same boat here [:)].

[quote user="Clair"]For info:

I can view the forum without any white space by using Firefox 10, Firefox 11, IE9 and Safari on my iPad.
I can post a reply, add smileys and quote without any difficulty using the same except when using Safari, as above (I had the same problems with Safari before the change to the forum.)
[/quote]

And I can do all that as well using Windows XP on a netbook with IE8.[:D][:D][6]

Posting in FF. Read and it will become clear !

Out of interest I'm posting this with IE9 under Vista Enterprise.

First off the center panel is shifted to the left such that the 'Reply'

button is just visible enough to click on. This then brings up a fairly normal

looking full width window.

Typing a return in the window produces a double width space not single.

Compatibility mode produces a fairly normal center panel but then the reply

window is stretched beyond it both left and right.

Double spacing still there.

Furthermore the icons for B I U etc are under the text size drop

downs and smilies.

Why on earth do they just not revert to the old software and sort this out,

it really is amateurish.

Ah, final problem, cannot actually post it either with the top button or the bottom, back to FF it is then !

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Use the "torn page" icon in the IE8 toolbar when using XP in order to toggle between compatability on and compatability off.

For posting compatability must be on.

For comfortable forum viewing with no white expanse and minimal vertical scrolling compatibility must be off.

[/quote]

I just thought I would post this again on Page 14 which is normal width.

"torn page toggle"

[quote user="woolybanana"]I've got it, this is the beta version and we are the guinea-pigs![/quote]

Sounds about right; after all the tech bods have Bill Gates for inspiration, don't they ? If it is a good enough idea for MS then it is good enough for Complete France.

Sue [:)]

How do you post a screen shot?

EDIT  : That's interesting!  I've been trying to post for yonks (as it happens, since I switched to compatibility view) and couldn't.  I then switched the CV off and hey presto, I can post.  But I've got the massive bits of white space top and bottom back again.

[quote user="cooperlola"]How do you post a screen shot?[/quote]

HERE

Be aware that with some systems, using a screen shot or screen grab might show your forum email add in the open Windows tab.

I prefer to use Windows Snipping Tool  to cut out just what I want to show.

Then save the capture to My Images, upload the saved pic to Photobucket and post here as usual.

The Snipping Tool should be in your Accessories programs list. It's been included in Windows since Vista I believe... On a French computer, it's called Outil Capture.

Methinks that the Forum Admin bods are going to take their time over sorting out these irritating niggles in order to ensure that when they do fix things, they take care of 90% of the problems.  That's what I'd do in their position, but it'll take time.  The very fact that most of us have managed to 'fight our way in', speaks for itself.

It would just be nice if they were to say that (or something along those lines).

Anyway, I'm staying away for a week or so. By that time this thread will be up to 40 pages and umpteen thousand views.[blink]

Not their finest hour. 

Whooo-Hooooo!!!.[:D]

Have just signed in via my old link, although I had to get a new password via my e-mail account. [:(].

I've bookmarked the page which now takes me straight to the forum page.

I still have the large white gap at the top, so hopefully the techies will soon get that sorted. [I]

Not too keen on the black script on the blue background tho.

[quote user="britgirl"]

Whooo-Hooooo!!!.[:D]

Have just signed in via my old link, although I had to get a new password via my e-mail account. [:(].

I've bookmarked the page which now takes me straight to the forum page.

I still have the large white gap at the top, so hopefully the techies will soon get that sorted. [I]

Not too keen on the black script on the blue background tho.

[/quote]

I dont like it either.....all this white   ....Now where did I put my sunglasses ?

Well. I have eventually found my way back in, via another forum giving the instructions of how to do so.

That really is a 'SMOOTH" change. Quite seemless if you are a mountaineer me-thinks?

That lovely soothing glare of the white[:-))] Real cool man???

Perhaps it's the for-runner of the new ice age. You know, for the really cool?

The problem is that if you now search for Complete France on browsers such as Google, the links to the forum no longer work. Not a problem maybe for loyal existing forum members who persist in finding the new forum, but I would have thought it will deter potential new members who dare I say are needed.

Some form of prior notification to existing members would have been nice, as has happened on the other main competitor French forum.

Also please can we expand the forum page to full screen.

A - I think it's a login for Archant's general services (RSS, newsletter...) I tried using it when I had difficulties getting back into the forum after the changeover, but even though I was logged in, I still couldn't access the forum.

B - No idea! Question for IT, I believe! [:D]

Clair, you have been bending over backwards for a couple of days now to help and advise people, for which thanks.

Have you had any indication from the powers-that-be that they are aware of the issues and are dealing with them, though? And is there any chance of someone from Archant sticking their head above the parapet to say (or, better still, DO) something?

I only ask, because I'm beginning to think it's a bit unfair to leave sorting this out to the mods, and it would be welcome to read of some indication that the concerns and reports of problems are being noted and acted upon.

I'm trying to post a screenshot. Have uploaded to Photobucket, and gone into 'reply' ... got the box, typed my message ... but cannot find anything to insert a picture. Go into 'Preview' and there's nothing there either. How can I put a picture in please ... where have all the buttons gone (aaarrrrgggh!) ?

[quote user="nectarine"]I'm trying to post a screenshot. Have uploaded to Photobucket, and gone into 'reply' ... got the box, typed my message ... but cannot find anything to insert a picture. Go into 'Preview' and there's nothing there either. How can I put a picture in please ... where have all the buttons gone (aaarrrrgggh!) ?[/quote]

You need to copy the [IMG] code under your picture in Photobucket, then paste (ctrl V) it into your message.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Clair, you have been bending over backwards for a couple of days now to help and advise people, for which thanks.

Have you had any indication from the powers-that-be that they are aware of the issues and are dealing with them, though? And is there any chance of someone from Archant sticking their head above the parapet to say (or, better still, DO) something?

I only ask, because I'm beginning to think it's a bit unfair to leave sorting this out to the mods, and it would be welcome to read of some indication that the concerns and reports of problems are being noted and acted upon.[/quote]

I haven't heard from anyone since I sent out a Mod-wide SOS, 2 days ago, after being unable to log in.

James (Forum Admin) is out of the country, with limited internet access. He replied to assure us (the Mods) that someone in IT was going to "
keep an eye out for any specific issues which crop up".