New Forum - Technical Issues only -

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IE8 with and without compatability view has about 1cm of lavender, and on Firefox too.

I got fed up with clicking arrows to go from side to side when I'd enlarged the page just sufficiently to exclude the lavender, so went back to a lavender border. The picture is pretty, but I hate the lavender border, which adds greatly to the jazzy whole.

I reckon the measurement is pretty irrelevant but it's 1/3 borders, 2/3 forum (of which just over half is actual posting width.)  Compatibility view on or off makes no difference.  Scrolling the mouse around on the border makes the print size bigger but in order to reduce the border to 1cm makes the print size impossibly large.  I can sit about 5' from the screen and read it but I have to come closer to look at anything else on the screen (my correspondance, other fora, programmes etc.)  Still rubbish compared to other websites and fora I visit.

My problem is still that to see the print at a size I can read it I have to enlarge the screen enough (the lavender disappears quite nicely) and to get it large enough I still have to scroll.  It's even worse when I try to post a reply - here I have had to reduce it from a size which is comforatable to read to see the whole of the posting area on one page, and thus see what I am typing.

Grrrr!

"Vista + Firefox 11

I can't edit my details, clicking on "edit your details" derf, Logout, Settings, does nothing. All the other clickable items on the page seem to work OK.

Les"

Can anyone shed any light on this problem?

Why do we still have up to six  identical banner adverts stacked one on top of the other every time we enter the site ?    I find it annoying  and am begining hate Eurotunnel  and the insurance company trying  to get me to settle in Charente !   I use Firefox  on XP

[quote user="Frederick"]Why do we still have up to six identical banner adverts stacked one on top of the other every time we enter the site ? I use Firefox on XP [/quote]

I don't see any. I have XP and use FF, but then I also use Adblock Plus, perhaps that explains it.

Sue

[quote user="Frederick"]Why do we still have up to six  identical banner adverts stacked one on top of the other every time we enter the site ?    I find it annoying  and am begining hate Eurotunnel  and the insurance company trying  to get me to settle in Charente !   I use Firefox  on XP

[/quote]

I use XP and am on Firefox at present and see one banner ad on top, I don't use Ad Block or anything like that.

Just thought I would try Chrome and see what happens. At the moment the screen looks like IE9 in compatability mode i.e. nav bar in centre and no scroll bar to the right. [:D] Top 'Post' button does not work still.

Thought I would try an Enter to see if paragraph spacing worked.

I thought I might try Chrome in IE compatability mode but when I hit the little button off to the right to do this I get a Google page up saying I can't do this because the forum is written only of IE9. This seems a bit strange because if that is the case then surely I should be able to use the compatability mode withing Chrome or am I missing something (not being a Chrome user and I don't like it much)?

[quote user="Quillan"]I thought I might try Chrome in IE compatability mode but when I hit the little button off to the right to do this I get a Google page up saying I can't do this because the forum is written only of IE9. This seems a bit strange because if that is the case then surely I should be able to use the compatability mode withing Chrome or am I missing something (not being a Chrome user and I don't like it much)?[/quote]

Open Chrome, and install IE Tab Multi (Enhance) which is the equivalent of 'compatibility mode' from here

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/fnfnbeppfinmnjnjhedifcfllpcfgeea

but, note the box which states "it can access: all data on your computer and the websites you visit." Which being Google, doesn't surprise me in the least!

I've tried it and wasn't impressed, plus with the add-on installed Chrome crashed or froze several times. Now safely binned together with all its nasty spyware.

I'm using the forum today on iPad for the first time, Safari iOS 5.1 it seems to be working fine and the ability to easily increase the size of the reply box etc. is a valuable asset. On a personal note, I still don't like the colour combinations. Top posting button still as much use as a chocolate fire guard.