New Forum - Technical Issues only -

Q has had a reply from Archant asking if we could make a list of the issues so  this thread is for for technical issues only. (Yes I know they're all here in the other thread , but it seems we'll be collating it and forwarding it so please keep it brief and factual)

System, Browser type, issues. Like this:

System :XP

Browser: IE7

Problem(s): Large area of white between header and actual forum

( I'm sure if I've missed something Clair will add to the thread !)

Please do not start a discussion on this thread.  The posts will be edited or deleted.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Windows XP

IE8

Compatibilty view on - huge white area between the banner and any text

Compatibilty view off - you cannot create a new topic, reply, quote, post, preview.  Pressing any of these buttons results in the text boy being wiped clean and nothing being processed.

And if you are foolish enough to change compatibility modes before you press post, you lose everything as well - as I have just found out.

Additionally:

Contact and Advertise links at the top of the page both bring up page not found messages.

W7 IE9

Links still open in the same window (as in the old forum). It'd be nice if they opened in a new window or new tab so that you don't have to "go back" but can just close the new window when you've finished.

What I can only calling bouncing pages.

I clicked on reply and the page bounced to the white bit and I had to scroll down to find this part of the page to reply to.

And then when I tried to post it bounced again.

In fact it bounced three times for no apparent reason. Resulting in me having to scroll to find the part of the page I needed.

I am not techinical. I do not understand half the technical things mentoined at the top of this page. And bouncing is probably the wrong expression, but something is radically wrong.

Should I say 'edit' as I pressed on post and it hasn't posted. So I'll try again.

I am having another go at posting.

Windows Vista Ultimate, Internet Explore 32 and 64 bit.

With the old system I have had to run in (IE) compatibility mode. To type this I don't and I don't get the white blank area before I get down to the posts.

Once I hit the reply button I get the text box appear but no cursor. By changing the color (to black) it will appear. The mouse will not navigate the cursor amongst the text around the text box when text is in it. The only way to go back and edit mistakes is to use the up, down, left and right keyboard buttons or Home and End buttons.

I wanted to logout and login again to see if that helped but I cannot logout. I click on Logout and get a blank white screen. I have tried this both in and out of compatibility mode.

I just hit the top Post button and nothing happens. I shall now try the bottom button as some seem to think that works.

System : W7

Browser: Safari

Problem(s): Reply box needs resizing. Any 'quotes' resemble gobbledeegook when presented in final post.

In all browsers, clicking the blue 'Advertise' link (top right) produces;

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Wow that worked OK. I did notice that normally when you hit Enter you get a paragraph space but that seems to have gone so you need to do it twice.

Now I am in compatibility mode.

The text box is now very wide and the right hand edge seems to go outside the white page area although you cant see the line/border. [:(] Oh look the smiley works. When typing auto wrap does wrap before the characters go off the page so the border is there but it's not marked

The text editing menu bar has changed and is now split at the point of inserting a smiley and the Bold button from which point onwards everything is on a second line although both lines seem to be centred.

Cursor now behaves properly with the mouse.

There is something about how things line up on the page, they seem to be pushed right to the left or right edges.

Dnt know if paragrapg spacing works in this mode.

I shall now hit on the top Reply button and if that works then I won't be adding to this page.

No it doesn't so I will try the bottom button.

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

System : W7

Browser: Safari

Problem(s): Reply box needs resizing. Any 'quotes' resemble gobbledeegook when presented in final post.

In all browsers, clicking the blue 'Advertise' link (top right) produces;

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

[/quote]

That used to happen a lot before and the moderators used to 'edit' the post in IE, no need to actually change anything but when you posted it straight back it was OK. Bit annoying both then and now.

I just noticed that if you hit the top Post butten that whilst nothing seems to happen your number of posts count goes up by one, strange that.

The page numbers at the bottom of the threads don't indicate which page you're actually on any more, as it did in the past (iirc it was highlighted/underlined or something.)  Confusing when you're reading a long thread and want to jump pages.

Paragraphs no longer come out automatically when you input a new line yourself.  I'm still not sure if this is a good or a bad thing but the problems is that they appear as a blank line when you type but it disappears when you post - it at least needs to be consistent.

I really don't know if all these are technical or appearance problems so I'll c&p and stick some of this on both.

The "on line" indicator (little lamp by our names) still doesn't work.  I'm on line but it says I'm not and suggests I haven't been for a couple of days.  After all the changes, it would have been nice if some of the old bugs had been ironed out to compensate for all the new ones!

[quote user="Forum Admin"]

Hi,

Sorry for the technical issues that have arisen.

If all issues are raised in the two threads created, we can raise them with IS at the end of each day to look at fixing them in some sort of priority order.

James

[/quote]Thanks for posting.  Good to know there's somebody listening in.

For my part the huge blank space is by far the biggest problem as it gives the impression you haven't actually found the forum and I reckon many will just log off and possibly not come back;

Message from EmilyA, who had been unable to log in for days. I issued a new password, several times. This is the latest update:

[quote]

Hi Clair

I can now log in and out and have changed my password. I

still can't post. I type what I want to say, click on post (have tried

both post buttons) and my message disappears. I am on IE8.[/quote]

[quote user="Clair"]Message from EmilyA, who had been unable to log in for days. I issued a new password, several times. This is the latest update:

[quote]

Hi Clair

I can now log in and out and have changed my password. I still can't post. I type what I want to say, click on post (have tried both post buttons) and my message disappears. I am on IE8.[/quote]
[/quote]She needs to switch to (from?) compatability view - torn bit of paper next to address bar.  This makes the forum look horrid - lots of blank space, right hand side of posting box missing etc) but you can post (this is what I'm doing at the mo', also IE8.)  Not a good fix long term but at least Emily will be able to air her views.

Looks like the main issue is in IE with the compatiblity mode. Switching it on allows users to post but then huge gaps appear at top and forum jumping on load.

Notes:

1. IE8

Compatibilty view on - huge white area between the banner and any text and main area jumping on load.

Compatibilty view off - you cannot create a new topic, reply, quote, post, preview.  Pressing any of these buttons results in the text boy being wiped clean and nothing being processed.

And if you are foolish enough to change compatibility modes before you press post, you lose everything as well - as I have just found out.

2. Contact and Advertise links at the top of the page both bring up page not found messages.

3. System : W7, Browser: Opera. Problem(s): Inability to log on.

4. The top 'post' button does not work (is this in a particular browser?)

5.  System : W7, Browser: Safari. Problem(s): Reply box needs resizing. Any 'quotes' resemble gobbledeegook when presented in final post.

6. The page numbers at the bottom of the threads don't indicate which page you're actually on any more, as it did in the past (iirc it was highlighted/underlined or something.)  Confusing when you're reading a long thread and want to jump pages.

7. Black on dark blue headers on posts cant be read easily.

8. Safari:

Large white area to right of screen (assuming no google ads are showing?).

Reply-box tiny and no access to Smilies.

Adding photos/links does not work.

9. Firefox:

Large white area to right of screen. (assuming no google ads are showing?)

10. Posting: Paragraphs no longer come out automatically when you input a new line yourself.

Very jumpy about! The other problem is (and this may be our rubbish broadband) that it takes forever to get down the white bit so approx 30 seconds to make it down the page to read a thread or post. My contributions / pearls of wisdom may be a bit limited for the time being!

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned before, but just in case it hasn't...

W7/Firefox

When typing a post, the screen appears to "jump" whenever the cursor is over the styling buttons above the text box, to the right of the smiley field.

Four jumps to get to type on this bit of the page.

I have a good broad band connection and it is not that that is affecting this board.

Will it post first time, that is the question.

edit, four more jumps to get to edit and it did post first time.

I'm using an iMac OS 10.5.8

I have not got the big white space that I had when I was using my PC two days ago.  Good.

BUT I have noticed that the ability to read the beginning of a thread in a tiny window by just hovering the mouse over the thread title without clicking does not work in Safari, though it's OK in Firefox (which I am now using).   I always had to use Firefox for this forum anyway, as the "reply" box was too tiny with Safari, and links and smilies didn't work.  Just going to test the latter now  [:)]

Angela

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/7/2548970/ShowPost.aspx#2548970

Page 7 - using IE8 and on XP

The left had side of the page is off screen and cannot be accessed meaning that you cannot see who posted or when - the time is just on screen

Oh and second attempt at posting having got caught out again by the compatibility button