How do I widen forum page?

mogs

Since the change to the forum when I am trying to read threads I always have the beautiful lavender picture in the background but the forum pages are too narrow to be able to read the whole topic.

I've tried to CTRL - but it doesn't change the page.

Can I get rid of the background picture?

mogs,

I am replying using Chrome and as far as I know, you cannot get rid of the background picture on Chrome.

I am able to enlarge the text frame on my laptop by using ctrl + (ctrl - makes the frame smaller).

Hold the ctrl key down and press the + sign on your number pad.

If you haven't got a number pad, click on the spanner top-right of the Chrome page and click on + where it says zoom.

Hope that helps! :)

no smileys on Chrome :(

[quote user="AnOther"]Not sure about Chrome but in IE and Firefox you can magnify the whole screen by holding down Ctrl and using the mouse wheel or the equivalent motion on a laptop touchpad.[/quote]

This works in Chrome too.

I just didn't want to make things more confusing... Not everybody uses a "wheeled" mouse... [:)]

So, the forum page can be magnified but not stretched. Irritating, as the text only occupies half of my screen width unless I magnify it to Mills and Boone large print size! Many (most?) web pages can be stretched so that more text automatically fills the line, or conversely squeezed up to push text onto the following lines.

Like this... http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/forum/showthread.php?t=117742    Try moving the edge of the window and watch the column of text change shape. This is an example of a forum which uses vBulletin, and I wonder why proven forum software wasn't chosen for "ours".

[quote user="sid"]I wonder why proven forum software wasn't chosen for "ours".[/quote]

As has been mentioned in other threads, the forum software has not been changed.

What you see and use is the same "old" forum, which has simply been dropped in a new site layout.

I don't really want to drag this all up again Clair, but I am surprised to learn that it is the same software with only a different look. There have been some changes (improvements) for instance a spellchecker appeared to work briefly, but no longer works for me. I'm hard pushed to think of others at the moment. Redecorating rather than renovation then. [:D]

But hey, it works after a fashion, and we get used to anything eventually. [Www]

A pity, then, that it couldn't stay the same in the looks department!  I really still don't get this "nothing's changed" argument  - yes, Clair, I know it's not the mods' fault - when patently it has changed radically for the worse.  I used to spend a long time on here but now I have to restrict it to half an hour or so a day (in two chunks) or I have a headache all day. 

I don't see why we shoultn't keep bringing this up Sid.  I'm sure the powers that be think we're happy with it now when in fact I, for one, am still really fed up about it.  I've asked before but I guess nobody will answer as if the figures were known then the advertisers might start to pull their financial support, but how is forum traffic these days?  I get the distinct impression it's dropped off significantly.  I look in twice a day and there are rarely more than 10 or so unread posts in the Active Topics list since my last time.  Not good for anybody - including Archant.

I have just bought an iPad so can now access the forum on one of the mobile devices I believe the changes were aimed at...On the iPad the posts appear to me to be alternately pale blue and pale yellow, where as on my PC they are a uniform dingy white.

On the iPad I have no pictorial borders, where as I have about a centimetre all round of the PC......Of course being as it is an Apple product I get the tiny posting box and no smileys also it is difficult to go to a specific page of a thread or even the next page.....

As it has disadvanges in both modes I really don't see why they bothered to change the original.........it seems it's not particularly good for anyone......

You're right Coops, but it doesn't look as if it'll make any difference commenting or moaning. I use several other forums (never liked saying fora!) and find every single one much easier to use, AND the search works properly on them too! Oh well (shrugs shoulders, gallic style).

Well I didn't mean to start a debate here folks but thanks to everyone for trying to help.

Strangely enough, I haven't adjusted anything today but now I am getting a "full screen" without the awful (sorry, it is annoying) screen picture in the background, so I don't know what has happened but this is the outcome I was hoping for. I haven't browsed any other threads as yet so not sure if it is a forum glip or just sorted.

In case it isn't said enough, thanks to the forum management and the mods for all they do.