Curser control

Yonner

Does everyone have to wait an age before the curser appears

in the scrip box prior to typing, or is it me!!  Or use the direction keys rather than the

mouse to drag the curser through the text to make corrections?

I’ve started to open Word to do the typing, but still have

to wait ages for the curser to appear in the script box before I can paste. Is

it just a line speed thing. None of the other Forums I use seem to have the

problem, but they are probably using servers over here in the UK. Are the LF

ones in France?

Just wondered!

I just timed it to type this reply and the reply box appeared ready for typing in about 2 seconds.

It may be the forum server, but unlikely I think, unless everything is slow, including reading other threads. Probably your browser; IE9 has a problem with hanging for ages sometimes, often attributed to add-ons, but I've diabled all mine and it still does it. Have you tried using a different brower? Or your AV software taking over your machine? Difficult to say without seeing it and how it compares to other sites. A cleanup might help. CCleaner (I keep my cookies so that I don't lose log-in details). And there are any number of Register checkers, but be careful with those. 

Thanks Sid,

With CCleaner, do I just 

run it from the download or is it best to save it and alter such things

as cookie control before running it? Do you know how I could check if my Av s/w is slowing me down?

Thanks

Y

[quote user="Russethouse"]Why would the forum server be in France?

The forum is owned and run by an UK publishing company[/quote]If you hadn't noticed it's a big wide interconnected world, a company's server could be hosted in Timbuktu [;-)]

I have experienced the cursor delay you speak of. Principally it was on my machine at work which was vista and IE8. Never did get to the bottom of it.

Never experienced it on any other site or forum so suspicion falls firmly on the site software rather than the machine being used to access it. Probably something to do with all the tracking cookies and other useless rubbish loading up in the background such as ADtech, Google Adsense, Omniture, Outbrain, and Pinterest !

Also On 27th March I wrote:

"When attempting to reply to a post it's taking about 30 seconds for the

text box to become active whilst the site seems to be trying to connect

to something called forums.essexlife.net this is both with Firefox and

IE."

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/3/2699934/ShowPost.aspx#2699934

The site is still trying to link to that site in the background, although God knows for what purpose, but directly entering it into a browser throws up the message: 'Sorry this site is not available at the moment due to site maintenance'

QED I think !

Sorry, Sorry, this web site is not

available at the moment due to planned maintenance.

this web site is not

Sorry, this web site is not

[quote user="Yonner"]

Thanks Sid,

With CCleaner, do I just  run it from the download or is it best to save it and alter such things as cookie control before running it? Do you know how I could check if my Av s/w is slowing me down?

Thanks

Y

[/quote]

CCleaner: I use it regularly, probably once a week, so I always "save" it so that I can run it without downloading every time. New versions are released quite frequently and you'll get a warning message when you try to run it if there's a newer version than the one you've saved, and if you select the new one it'll automatically overwrite the previous version.

There are many options to choose but I don't clear cookies, or saved passwords (in the IE section), and in the Windows explorer section I don't clear network passwords. For the rest it's a question of how far you want to go, but if you've never run it previously you can "analyse" your system first to see how much cr4p you've accumulated.

For your AV performance I can only suggest that you turn off your email application and disable your AV and try accessing just the forum site (and don't go anywhere else) and see how it performs. I wouldn't leave it turned off for too long though.

IE has several issues which Microsoft don't seem to be able to fix. Other users on here will recommend different browsers; worth trying possibly. I've tried them all and still come back to IE (IE9 now) but I use other browsers to check that my websites display properly.

Good luck