Wow - blink and you missed it!

The forum's been playing up for an hour or two - chucking me out, going "slimline" etc, and then suddenly, for a few seconds only, it was perfect - filled the entire width of the page, decent sized print, you name it!  If you techie bods are out there and were experimenting then that was bang on,if I may say so.  Pity it's gone back to mini-print,headache inducing normality again now.[:(]

[quote user="cooperlola"] Pity it's gone back to mini-print,headache inducing normality again now.[:(][/quote]

What are you using to view the forum ... something tells me it must be either IE (whatever number) or Chrome/Safari ? 'Cos with FF all is fine and dandy.

Sue

At the risk of starting all this up again, I still don't accept that I should change to a browser I dislike just because the software doesn't work well for the most popular browser in the world.  I reckon the techies have now just put it in the too difficult pile and ignored we IE users. Fair enough - I just restrict my forum use these days but it's a pity 'cos apart from its look, I like the forum a lot.

As an aside, Sue, are you telling me that you don't have the (now-faded) border either side of the forum on Firefox?

[quote user="cooperlola"]The forum's been playing up for an hour or two - chucking me out, going "slimline" etc, and then suddenly, for a few seconds only, it was perfect - filled the entire width of the page, decent sized print, you name it!  If you techie bods are out there and were experimenting then that was bang on,if I may say so.  Pity it's gone back to mini-print,headache inducing normality again now.[:(][/quote]

I think it could be connected to cookies.

The forum cookie "contains" your viewing preferences (zoom, text size...)  and you access these preferences when you log in, provided your forum cookie has not been deleted.

If you view the forum without logging in, your viewing preferences are not available and when you get thrown out of the forum (logged out), the same preferences are not available either.

Logically, they should come through when you log in again, but it seems the cookie is lost or reset after you are logged out by the software and your viewing preferences are lost.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

At the risk of starting all this up again, I still don't accept that I should change to a browser I dislike just because the software doesn't work well for the most popular browser in the world.  I reckon the techies have now just put it in the too difficult pile and ignored we IE users. Fair enough - I just restrict my forum use these days but it's a pity 'cos apart from its look, I like the forum a lot.

As an aside, Sue, are you telling me that you don't have the (now-faded) border either side of the forum on Firefox?

[/quote]

I use IE Coops and I'm having no problems with the forum 

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="cooperlola"] Pity it's gone back to mini-print,headache inducing normality again now.[:(][/quote]

What are you using to view the forum ... something tells me it must be either IE (whatever number) or Chrome/Safari ? 'Cos with FF all is fine and dandy.

Sue

[/quote]

I use FF and it's not all fine and dandy - I still have to enlarge the print large enough to see, and thte scroll backwards and forwards to read the posts, and when I come to editing.... like now .... it's impossible.  I used to look at the forum several times a day, now I only come on once a day, unless there's a topic I'm following .... which tells you all you need to know about the new layout as far as I'm concerned,

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="cooperlola"]

[/quote]

I use IE Coops and I'm having no problems with the forum 

[/quote]What do you (and Sue for that matter) mean by "no problems"?  Do you still have a margin either side of the forum with a (faded) photo on it, or does the forum stretch to fit the whole page, as it did during the temporary aberration which I encountered the other day and seem unable to duplicate now.[:(]

I'll have a look at my forum preferences, Clair, but I've tried loads of the fixes suggested on here and the best I could come up with was the scrolling thing Judith mentions which makes other parts of the forum (the posting facility, for instance where the print size is perfect) far too big on my large screen.  Whatever it is, it's unique to this forum.  The others I use are fine and even those other websites which are similarly centred and have margins either side (the Guardian, for instance) have sensibly sized print for normal use.

[quote user="cooperlola"] What do you (and Sue for that matter) mean by "no problems"?  Do you still have a margin either side of the forum with a (faded) photo on it, or does the forum stretch to fit the whole page, as it did during the temporary aberration which I encountered the other day and seem unable to duplicate now. [/quote]

Yes I do have a small amount of faded border - but less than 1cm each side. Apart from that everything is normal size, as with any other site or forum, no problems such as Judith has ie needing to scroll across the page or seeing oversized print.

As an aside we have 3 laptops - all different makes, and they all display complete france in the same way.

I am genuinely sorry you are having such problems as it must be so tedious, but really, for us, there is nowt wrong with this site (as I can see it) - it just looks like any other does.

Sue

Thanks for that - not at all the picture I get.  I still have 8cms of fadedf photo either side, plus 6 for the poster's name and details, then another 2 either side within the posting box,which - on a total width of 48 - leaves just (by my poor arithmetic) 20 cms for the actual meat of the post.  It looks the same on my netbook and my laptop.  The only place this doesn't happen is the Android phone, thank goodness, as it's already pretty tiny!

[quote user="cooperlola"]Thanks for that - not at all the picture I get.  I still have 8cms of fadedf photo either side, plus 6 for the poster's name and details, then another 2 either side within the posting box,which - on a total width of 48 - leaves just (by my poor arithmetic) 20 cms for the actual meat of the post.  It looks the same on my netbook and my laptop.  The only place this doesn't happen is the Android phone, thank goodness, as it's already pretty tiny![/quote]

Coops this is what I see on my screen.

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2/2762124/ShowPost.aspx#2762124

Hope this works, I'm not the most "IT" savvy person in the world. [:)]

" such as Judith has ie needing to scroll across the page or seeing oversized print."

It needs to be this big for me to read the print (I am waiting for cataract ops, which combined with short sightedness and incorrect glasses (no point in changing, first op will be in October I hope) means that everything has to be in bigger print these days and I have to get so close to the screen. Maybe once the eyes are done it will all be much better, but as far as the layout is concerned, the column holding our names is far too wide, adn the text column far too narrow for what you want to put in it .... and this is the ONLY forum I am having this problem with.  From being one of teh better laid out forums, it is now the worst .... hence I do not spend very long on here any more....

[quote user="NickP"]Coops this is what I see on my screen.

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/2/2762124/ShowPost.aspx#2762124

Hope this works, I'm not the most "IT" savvy person in the world. [:)]   [/quote]

Brilliantly done Nick ... this is just what I see and how it is displayed.

But will Coops see it the same way we do ... ?

Sue

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="NickP"]Coops this is what I see on my screen.

Hope this works, I'm not the most "IT" savvy person in the world. [:)]   [/quote]

Brilliantly done Nick ... this is just what I see and how it is displayed.

But will Coops see it the same way we do ... ?

Sue

[/quote]

I've just looked, and I can see no difference between yours and my original ...

[quote user="Russethouse"]I think the name column is about 20% of the width on my screen, is that about the same for you?

That proportion would make sense display wise, a decent amount of uncluttered space makes it easier to read the rest.[/quote]

I've no idea what the %age size is, but the name column has loads of "spare" space and just seem sfar too wide for my liking.

[quote user="NickP"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]Thanks for that - not at all the picture I get.  I still have 8cms of fadedf photo either side, plus 6 for the poster's name and details, then another 2 either side within the posting box,which - on a total width of 48 - leaves just (by my poor arithmetic) 20 cms for the actual meat of the post.  It looks the same on my netbook and my laptop.  The only place this doesn't happen is the Android phone, thank goodness, as it's already pretty tiny![/quote]

Coops this is what I see on my screen.

Hope this works, I'm not the most "IT" savvy person in the world. [:)]

[/quote]

That link is just a link to this page so it will display according to the viewers local browser settings. It won't show you how it looks on your(NickP's) computer. This might be the same but it all depends.

On  different monitors I get varying  amounts of the faded photograph but the middle part looks the same.

[quote user="Rabbie"]That link is just a link to this page so it will display according to the viewers local browser settings. It won't show you how it looks on your(NickP's) computer. This might be the same but it all depends.[/quote]

What we need is some gifted person [Www] who knows how to to print a screen shot of their view of the site ... something I have never learned how to do.

Sue

Before pressing "reply" my screen showed:    No photograph (if you mean lavender as I got Firefox to get rid of that...). The site is almost the width of my screen. The bit on the left that shows name of person who wrote a comment is about 1/4 the width of the bit with the actual comment.

So: on my laptop which has a screen about 30 cm wide (not huge at all) the bit with the name is therefore about 6cm, the comment section about 24 cm.

I use Firefox and have no problems viewing at all.

Mrs H

Edit after NickP screen print below. That is what mine looks like too. Tried to "reply" but screen print seems to stop one replying.

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Rabbie"]That link is just a link to this page so it will display according to the viewers local browser settings. It won't show you how it looks on your(NickP's) computer. This might be the same but it all depends.[/quote]
What we need is some gifted person [Www] who knows how to to print a screen shot of their view of the site ... something I have never learned how to do.

Sue
[/quote]

http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/general/ht/winscreenshot.htm

I'd try it but I'm up to my eyes at present

Bon Chance !

[quote user="Russethouse"]

The little margin of green (if it is indeed forum) is a lot lighter in colour, but apart from that I see the same.

Thanks Nick.

[/quote]

The little margin of green is my desktop colour, browser framing was slightly off centre. [:)]