Downloading docx files

idun

My computer cannot open docx files and I have googled and have seen several sites which say that I can download whatever they are offering and be able to download the files I need.

But which of these sites to chose, which is safe? I have never heard of any of them.

Can anyone recommend a site.

Thankyou.

Presumably, idun, you're using a very old version of MS Office? I would go to the Microsoft website and look for the compatibility pack for Office, which should be available - I think - for free, and will enable you to view  and download docx files.

Depends what you mean by 'very old' Betty, I think what you really mean obsolete but that is a relative term and will be different for every user.

The .docx XML format was introduced with Office 2007 in January of that year along with the detested 'Ribbon' interface but for the non professional user it contained absolutely nothing of value or particular worth and was a completely pointless and unnecessary upgrade so many, like myself, have resolutely stuck with older, technically obsolete but nevertheless still perfectly functioning, earlier versions, Office XP from 2002 in my case.

I fully intend sticking with that and only if a subsequent release of Windows spit's it out and refuses to install it will I look to change but you can be sure that if or when that day comes MS office will not even make it onto list of options.

In the early days of Office 2007 because .docx was the default format early adopters would send us documents at work which couldn't be opened and since it was a corporate environment simply downloading an installing  a reader was not an option.

I was IT support and advised all my users to reply to the sender asking them to resend the document in the normal .doc format.

Couldn't agree more about the updating. When working in the coroporate environment there is an extreme reluctance to upgrade operating systems and office packages just for the sake of having the latest version. It is time-consuming, expensive and gains little (if any) in terms of efficiency, and in fact users often have to spend time familiarising themselves with new menus etc. just to perform the same functions as before. Windows NT was the OS of choice at my former workplace long after the launch of the later Windows versions.

I have updated to Office 2007 fairly recently (because I got a free Pro version) but it doesn't have any features that I can think of that my 2003 version didn't have, and certainly for a home user there is no obvious benefit. There is always the claim to have fixed reported bugs, but you'll have already got your own workarounds in any case.

Likewise I haven't taken up the offer of Windows 8 at the recent reduced price. I don't regard myself as a Luddite, but I begin to wonder!

OH downloaded the Microsoft Office Word Viewer 2003 and it works.

The trouble was that it was a job application for our son that needed downloading.  He had emailed them and asked for an alternative option to be sent, which was ignored. And who can be 'insistent' about such a thing. And as it is 'my' computer he knew better than to try and download anything without me agreeing. And frankly I prefer to try and get things sorted myself. I couldn't in this case, and with good help from here, my husband sorted it out.

[quote user="AnOther"]Depends what you mean by 'very old' Betty, I think what you really mean obsolete but that is a relative term and will be different for every user.

[/quote]

AnO, I think you've sort of contradicted yourself, even by putting words into my mouth. As you point out, "obsolete" is a relative term which will be different for every user. Which is why I didn't use it, because for me, it wasn't appropriate.

As it happens, I'm on Windows 7 and Office 2010, but that's because they're what my laptop came with. I've never gone out of my way to get the latest upgrade, but neither have I found a computer shop that sells computers with anything other than the most recent software versions installed.

If I felt like it, I could probably wipe these more recent versions and install Office 2003 or whatever it is that I have on an installation disc in my drawer, but as I spend a lot of time using different computers in different offices or interfacing with people who send me stuff in recent formats, it's easier to go with the flow. Especially as, if anyone's going to send me stuff, it's likely to be a client, and clients like to think their suppliers are equipped with "the latest technology"...

I often use the free site www.zamzar.com which is simple to use and they don't follow up with pestering emails or spam or whatever.  No subscription or sign-up needed.

They will convert any file you have to the format of your choice, so all you have to do is save the file to your hard drive (or a disc drive) and then upload it to their site.  They guarantee it will be returned to you by email in the new format within 24 hours, I think, but it normally only takes 30 mins or so.

Chrissie (81)