Easyinline/Superfish.....?

YCCMB

Very weird stuff seems to have infiltrated either my computer (but so far it doesn't seem to be affecting any other forums I visit) or this forum.

Each time I refresh a page or navigate around, there's a "hang" and then a dialogue box pops up saying that a script on the page is preventing the action from continuing.

Nipping into adblock plus, there seem to be a number of items with names such as the ones I list in the thread title, and on top of that, I've just opened a couple of threads to discover they've been infested with that odd embedded advertising, where keywords in a post are suddenly transformed into clickable links for products or services.

Already this morning I've run CCleaner and done a full scan with Avast, as well as blocking several items with ABP,but I'm not convinced the problem has entirely gone away...it almost seems as though, as fast as I block these things with ABP, they're being replaced with others.

Here is a screenshot of what I've been getting:

[IMG]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f288/croixblanches/Untitled-4_zps6ac4dfe4.png[/IMG]

Anyone else? Or should I douse my laptop with Domestos?

I just checked that same page and it looks normal to me, no clickable link. I'm on IE9, which browser do you use?

I don't think Ccleaner will be of any use here, it just clears out temporary files and cookies etc. (I use it about once a week though).

This sounds more like a malware infection. Was there any significance in the word "work"? Had you been browsing for that previously?

Hi Sid.

No I don't think there was any significance in the word "work". It was a screenshot of a random example. I opened a few threads, and, for example, the thread about the dog going blind saw some posts with the word "cataracts" highlighted.

Avast has not found anything, despite me running a full scan, Ccleaner I ran just to remove all the temp files and cookies. I have "Donottrack me" as well, so anything trying to track my browsing habits should pretty much be foiled, but I don't routinely browse for such an odd selection of stuff, and the highlighted words did seem entirely random.

Having used ABP to block the sites mentioned in the thread title, the problem seems to have gone away, so I am assuming it must have been one of them that caused the problem, but that doesn't explain where I picked it up from, or how it could be behaving in such a way on this forum.

I'll go and have a little Google..it seems like the problem is mine rather than the forum's, but I'll report back if I find anything. You never know when it might help someone else.

Sorted. Apparently, I'm not alone. The Superfish thingy is something that others have had mysteriously appear attached to Firefox add-ons. It is claimed that it's impossible to install it unless you have done so voluntarily, but a lot of people seem to have managed to install it involuntarily. In my case, the only explanation I can think of is that I've recently (in the past 48 hours) installed a Firefox update. Most who have had it seem to find that it's attached itself, limpet-like, to other FF add-ons.

I also found that somehow, again without my explicit say-so, a Firefox add-on called "Yontoo" appears on my list of add-ons. Another one I haven't voluntarily added. So, I've uninstalled and deleted and generally purged, and they've all gorn now.

It's not peculiar to FF, BTW, before anyone maligns my choice of browser. I noted that others have had similar problems with Chrome, IE, Ubuntu and Safari. Pernicious little blighter.

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]Very weird stuff seems to have infiltrated either my computer (but so far it doesn't seem to be affecting any other forums I visit) or this forum.
Each time I refresh a page or navigate around, there's a "hang" and then a dialogue box pops up saying that a script on the page is preventing the action from continuing.
[/quote]

dont know much about the rest clickable links etc except that oen forum I used to use had them as a way of raising revenue but it made all the postings look stupid so I stopped using it.

However the script on the page preventing machin truc I get all the time, especially on the Daily Mail site, I tried reading the Guardian but that just wont load at all and hangs my computer every time, I am not kidding you, its not just a well integrated computer [:D]

Yesterday I installed Adblock, or at least I thought I did as it never actually said that it had been installed or was working and I cant see an icon anywhere, (arent modern programmers useless at communication?) for a few hours the script on the page pop upwasnt there but it seems to have returned, every web page I visit still seems to be full of adverts though with a tiny window left for what I want to read.