The Forum and new browsers

Rabbie

Does anyone have any suggestions for a poor Mac user?  I seem to have the opposite of some people's problem with the 'quote' procedure: I can't get it to work in Safari (I always get the dreaded message that begins with <BLOCKQUOTE>) but it works in Firefox – which unfortunately isn't my favourite browser.

I am using IE10 and W8 and no problems.

Must be a big headache for programmers when people do not upgrade their systems. It means that to enable all to access they have to write a number of versions to suit all. Otherwise they could spend their energies producing a superb piece of software for the latest systems.

• 11 months later...
[quote user="PaulT"]

Must be a big headache for programmers when people do not upgrade their systems. It means that to enable all to access they have to write a number of versions to suit all. Otherwise they could spend their energies producing a superb piece of software for the latest systems.

[/quote]

Sorry to resurrect this post - I'm just testing Chrome

• 1 month later...
[quote user="PaulT"]

[/quote]

It certainly doesn't appear to be a problem for the developers at Microsoft; they just leave all the existing code in place and add any new code required; they can test which browser you're using and direct the logic to that path. The downside of this is that the programs grow and grow and there is inevitably loads of redundant code in there. They don't seem to bother about clearing out the very old code.

Also many of the program share huge chunks of code, Outlook and Word for example.

I've found that there is a peculiar action on this site now when using IE10, when I click on a link (any link on these pages) the screen display "jumps" a fraction, sometimes enough to put the cursor on the next line, so if by chance I double-click, I get the "other" link I didn't want.

I thought I'd add my whiney (winey? [:P]) little voice to the general hubbub... this forum is incredibly slow to load for me too - Firefox user.

I often close the tab while waiting to move to a different page within a topic - ie, I give up. This is the only forum with which I have a problem - even power-crazed forums with insanely sized avatars and picture signatures load faster than CF. I do wonder if the reason this forum is so quiet nowadays is that anyone with a life (I don't have one in winter) simply doesn't bother with the forum anymore because it's so clunky. Apart from difficulty changing pages, the forum often gets stuck loading that bleddy faint pretty background photo and I don't actually get the topic list without refreshing several times.

Nothing clunky in my experiance, and you can't get any more old fashioned than my set up XP and IE8. As to why in your opinion this forum is quiet I think you will find that has been well covered in another thread.

I found the need for compatibility view very annoying , since my preferred browser is Chrome and I don't like adding plug-ins unless I really must. Without compatibility view nothing works properly - formatting options, quotes, links and smilies are all unusable.

This is the only forum I use which has these problems, so I really do think it is up to the IT staff to ensure their software works properly with modern browsers.

[quote user="NickP"]Nothing clunky in my

experiance, and you can't get any more old fashioned than my set up XP and IE8.

[/quote]

Your old-fashioned set up may be the reason the forum works for you. Of course, the downside is that modern sites may not load efficiently and

using old versions of software can leave your system vulnerable to attack.

Not something I'd risk.

[quote user="NickP"]As to why in your opinion this forum is quiet I

think you will find that has been well covered in another thread.[/quote]

It certainly was... however, I don’t think that thread was ever intended to be the

definitive list of opinions...
[:D]

I don't have any problems at all loading " modern sites" as for leaving my system open to attack, I'm not daft enough to put anything on my system that I wouldn't want anybody else to be able to have access to, so once again no problems for me. [:P]  I may not be very technically up to-date but I do tend to work on the "if it aint broke" policy.

[quote user="KathyF"]I found the need for compatibility view very annoying , since my preferred browser is Chrome and I don't like adding plug-ins unless I really must. Without compatibility view nothing works properly - formatting options, quotes, links and smilies are all unusable. This is the only forum I use which has these problems, so I really do think it is up to the IT staff to ensure their software works properly with modern browsers.[/quote]

I agree... irritating. I can't tell whether "compatibility view" is on or off! The little icon doesn't appear to change, but some things definitely don't work without it. I'm on IE10 and W7.

As for the software which runs the forum, it is VERY old and is not being developed now. If you've used other sites running forums under VBulletin for example you'll know how much better they are. Over the years many of us have suggested improvements but the site owners are not about to spend money on something which doesn't at the end of the day pay them back financially; it's just a free service.

Sid, I have to agree to most of the issues you have mentioned with IE, and slow machine speed went away with Firefox.  I didn't like chrome, not much functionality, it looks like an old PC screen to me but horses for courses.

I did like the way Firefox seamlessly brought over all my favorites to book marks, it's really quite a neat program

[quote user="sid"]

[quote user="KathyF"]I found the need for compatibility view very annoying , since my preferred browser is Chrome and I don't like adding plug-ins unless I really must. Without compatibility view nothing works properly - formatting options, quotes, links and smilies are all unusable. This is the only forum I use which has these problems, so I really do think it is up to the IT staff to ensure their software works properly with modern browsers.[/quote]

I agree... irritating. I can't tell whether "compatibility view" is on or off! The little icon doesn't appear to change, but some things definitely don't work without it. I'm on IE10 and W7.

As for the software which runs the forum, it is VERY old and is not being developed now. If you've used other sites running forums under VBulletin for example you'll know how much better they are. Over the years many of us have suggested improvements but the site owners are not about to spend money on something which doesn't at the end of the day pay them back financially; it's just a free service.

[/quote]

No problems with quotes either but no smilies.