Cannot login

Chrissie

Since last night, I have been unable to log in to the Forum. I get as far as the Forum homepage, but the links for Login, Join etc are not active. I finally managed to get in by clicking on a topic and then on "Reply", at which point the login request came up.

Even in this mode, I cannot activate the buttons for Logout and Settings.

This message box is also very small - only about one-third of the width of the page.

Has something changed?

Chrissie (81)

Chrissie: it happens periodically for me, too...I get logged out for no discernible reason. It's pretty random, and sometimes I can log in normally, but often the log-in link isn't clickable, so I do what you've just done: choose a random post to reply to, hit "reply" and hey presto, the log-in page presents itself. Seems to be the only foolproof way to get back in.

Well, I've now come out and then logged in again and it seems to be back to normal - and this message box is full size again as well.

I never normally log out but almost every day I have to log in again, despite asking to save the password etc.  Not been a problem until yesterday.  Weird.  (Glad it's not just me though!)

Am using Internet Explorer on Windows 7, and have been since June, and am already using compatibility view setting.

Chrissie (81)

It used to happen very frequently to me on this forum and another one, funnily enough it is much better now that I am on the same windows and internet explorer as you.

It does still happen on all the forums I follow after Windows has done a mise à jour entailing the machine shutting down and rebooting, these forced upgrades I seem to have no choice over, the machine gets really slow and then finally a text box shows up telling me it will shut down and reboot, always when I am in the middle of something important, it really makes me mad that they dont ask for permission, anyway when it reboots I am logged out of all the forums, someone else will probably explain why.

[quote user="Chancer"]...after Windows has done a mise à jour entailing the machine shutting down and rebooting, these forced upgrades I seem to have no choice over, the machine gets really slow and then finally a text box shows up telling me it will shut down and reboot, always when I am in the middle of something important, it really makes me mad that they dont ask for permission,.....[/quote]

Oh man, you are going to just LOVE Windows 8.

When I had XP, I would go to shut down and it would pop up saying "Oh, by the way, I need to update. I will just whirr away to myself for a few minutes, then switch off while you go to bed. Carry on."

Now though with 8.1, when I switch it ON, it then says "Oh hi.... hey, I need to update - wait a few minutes. Oh what? you are in a hurry, just wanted to print out your EDF bill and nip to the prefecture before it shuts? well tough titties boss, Im updating myself and you are going to have to sit there and wait while I take my sweet effing time doing so."

Then every now and then it will update while I use it. It will pop up saying "Hey, I need to re-start. I can do this now or click cancel and we will do this tomorrow" so I cancel and it gets postponed. However it only lets you do this a few times then one day, usually while you are working on something important it just suddenly freezes - "haha mother fucker, Im going to re-start right now. What, you havent saved your work? well, thats just tough, there is nothing you can do to stop me".

In short. Windows 8.1 is a bastard.

Sounds like I already have windows 8 [:(]

Dont really know how to check, I know it automatically upgraded itself from what I had to what I have now, that being loads more problems than I had before, again without asking permission.

Who is the boss here?

Not the customer clearly.

[quote user="Russethouse"]Which browser are you using and have you changed it recently?

Have you tried the compatibility button, to the right of the address bar, looks like a torn piece of paper ?

Nothing has changed for me, but I'm on my iPad at present so that may not be true for everyone...[/quote]The compatabilty button is no longer available on IE 11 so that's why this post looks like it does

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="Russethouse"]Which browser are you using and have you changed it recently?

Have you tried the compatibility button, to the right of the address bar, looks like a torn piece of paper ?

Nothing has changed for me, but I'm on my iPad at present so that may not be true for everyone...[/quote]The compatabilty button is no longer available on IE 11 so that's why this post looks like it does[/quote]Seems to work better with Firefox. I don't have these problems with IE on other forums so what is the issue?

[quote user="You can call me Betty"]You don't actually need to reply to a post to log in....just click on "reply" then it will ask you to log in, and once you've done that you can navigate away from the post you were going to "reply" to and you will still be logged in!

[/quote]

Thanks - I'll do that next time

But why log out in the first place, there is no point in doing so.

Chancer: automatic updates do not mean that the entire version of Windows is upgraded so if you had Windows 7 then you will still have Windows 7 not Windows 8

In some case Widows 7 users may have the opportunity for a free upgrade but it not something which could or would happen either without your knowledge or specific consent.

If automatic updates annoy you then you can very easily turn them off, just type Automatic into the search box and it will take you to where you can do that.

[quote user="AnOther"]But why log out in the first place, there is no point in doing so.

[/quote]

ANO, it may have escaped your attention during the many previous discussions of this problem, but those of us who occasionally experience this issue don't log ourselves out, but the forum sometimes throws us off, inexplicably, and at that point we're forced to log back in.[:D]. Your assumption is a little like when I say to a man that my car has broken down and the first question relates to whether or not I have petrol.

[quote user="AnOther"]I know that happens to some Betty, it's happened to me in the past, but that was not what tinabee was complaining of, or not as I read her anyway [;-)]

[/quote]

My problem is as described - something in Windows update or my antivirus scanner or something keeps logging me out of everything, forums, email, the works - it is enormously irritating . . .

On most sites I can just log in again, but on this one the login button does not work. Also, I don't seem to have a compatibility icon to get the posts displaying correctly either.

[quote user="tinabee"]My problem is as described - something in Windows update or my antivirus scanner or something keeps logging me out of everything, forums, email, the works . . .[/quote]

Have you checked that the option 'erase all history when closing IE' ie including cookies, cache etc is not ticked under your tools/options for IE ?

If it is ticked then it will clear all traces of your web browsing with the effect of logging you out of all your sites automatically every time you close your browser so you have to log in again each visit.

Sue

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="tinabee"]My problem is as described - something in Windows update or my antivirus scanner or something keeps logging me out of everything, forums, email, the works . . .[/quote]
Have you checked that the option 'erase all history when closing IE' ie including cookies, cache etc is not ticked under your tools/options for IE ?
If it is ticked then it will clear all traces of your web browsing with the effect of logging you out of all your sites automatically every time you close your browser so you have to log in again each visit.

Sue
[/quote]

Checked "erase all history" and it is not selected - so it must be something else erasing my history.

Compatibility now set for this site - thanks Chrissie

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="tinabee"]Checked "erase all history" and it is not selected - so it must be something else erasing my history.[/quote]
That's a bummer; what AV are you using ?

Sue

[/quote]

I am using Advanced System Care and IObit Malware fighter - I have tried adjusting the settings on ASC but nothing seems to help, so maybe something else is erasing my history

• 2 months later...
Having a slightly different problem, I leave myself logged in , but every now and then I get logged out. When I try to log in the page comes up ok, but it won't accept my details, says they don't match. I have changed my email address when we moved to france so my old fix in the uk of saying I had forgotten my password please email me a new one doesn't work as I can no longer receive emails to that address. I have just created a new account so I can use the forum, but I'd like my old one back! Help?