Is anyone ever going to bother their *** to update this forum?

dave21478

STILL not compatible with Chrome - arguably the most popular internet browser in existence, and even using firefox there are dozens of errors. Todays example....

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3179692

Someone has linked a long URL which has gone off the edge of the text box and screwed up the formatting of every following post, leaving them unreadable with missing text.

Maybe since this is a forum for people in France, we should be doing as the French do - ie using a wheezing old beige desktop unit bought from a vide grenier for 200 euros, running windows95 and browsing with Netscape Navigator? After all, thats probably whats being used as a server to run the forum software.

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="nectarine"]Odd, I'm in Chrome and all looks OK ...[/quote]

Try quoting from a post; your post then appears with gobbledy gook around it.

Sue

[/quote]

Thought I would just quote for the hell of it.

erhaps I should use MS Internet Explorer......oh, I can't as I am using Ubuntu. Or do the forum owners require all to only use MS software including Windows.

Yes, it is bl@@dy annoying. Either write to enable other os to work correctly or use third party forum solutions.

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="nectarine"]Odd, I'm in Chrome and all looks OK ...[/quote]

Sue

[/quote]

OK I'm quoting from your post ... wonder what this looks like .....

*EDIT* ooooooooooh you're right, gobbledegook!

[quote user="PaulT"][quote user="suein56"][quote user="nectarine"]Odd, I'm in Chrome and all looks OK ...[/quote]

Sue

[/quote]

Thought I would just quote for the hell of it.

erhaps I should use MS Internet Explorer......oh, I can't as I am using Ubuntu. Or do the forum owners require all to only use MS software including Windows.

Yes, it is bl@@dy annoying. Either write to enable other os to work correctly or use third party forum solutions.[/quote]

At last!  Another enlightened member of this Forum [:D]

I use MS 8.1, IE and my quotes look as stupid as the ones posted above. So yes the forum does need a good dose of looking at...................

........................BUT if anyone does it, please do not create the same sort of disaster that was once a forum elsewhere until the end of August 2014.

Playing devils advocate, were these other web browsers around when this forum was created?

What I am trying to say is, is it the fault of the forum or the browser?

I have had upgrades forced or tricked on to me and thereafter I have had problems with websites, forums, software etc that worked fine before but to me the culprit was clear.

I would disagree with your line of thinking there....

Its up to the owner/operator to make sure that their forum is accessible to all. Assuming they want to provide a decent service.

I would have some sympathy if the problems only manifested when the forum is used by people running some obscure and uncommon browser, but for Chrome to be unsupported is a joke.

If they cant get this right, then in what state is the stuff behind the scenes? Does the forum get regular, recent backups in case of a crash? If I were to bet, I would say that in the event of a crash, we would loose months...possibly years worth of posts.

Do Complete France run it? is it them that pays the bills? (or not pay them in this case, I suppose) Are they ok with their forum being hopelessly out of date and potentially vulnerable?

Not a nice image for them, IMO.

[quote user="dave21478"]STILL not compatible with Chrome - arguably the most popular internet browser in existence, and even using firefox there are dozens of errors. Todays example....

http://services.completefrance.com/forums/completefrance/cs/forums/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3179692

Someone has linked a long URL which has gone off the edge of the text box and screwed up the formatting of every following post, leaving them unreadable with missing text.[/quote]

Just testing.

EDIT: Hmm, the above was posted from my Android tablet using Chrome !

[quote user="dave21478"]STILL not compatible with Chrome - arguably the most popular internet browser in existence, and even using firefox there are dozens of errors. Todays example....

Someone has linked a long URL which has gone off the edge of the text box and screwed up the formatting of every following post, leaving them unreadable with missing text.[/quote]

2nd test.

Posted from Win7 PC and with Chrome in XP compatibility mode [geek]

So there is at least one way to make the site play nicely Dave, not perfect but it works [;-)]

As regards [quote user="dave21478"]arguably the most popular internet browser in existence[/quote]Not knocking Chrome but since it's the default browser for every Android device on the

planet it stands to reason that it's usage stats will be high but of course most used is not automatically synonymous with most popular [;-)]

Personally I still prefer Firefox and have it as the default on both my Android devices.

[quote user="Chancer"]

Playing devils advocate, were these other web browsers around when this forum was created?

What I am trying to say is, is it the fault of the forum or the browser?

I have had upgrades forced or tricked on to me and thereafter I have had problems with websites, forums, software etc that worked fine before but to me the culprit was clear.

[/quote]Using the W3 HTML Validator this forum seems to be generating a large number of errors. Although most modern browsers can make an intelligent guess as to what the writer wanted they can't get it right every time which explains some of the problems.

• 1 month later...