Dropped out

Hello, I'm back! After several months of frustrated fiddling with different passwords and email addresses I finally got round to contacting admin to ask how to get back on! I still don't know what I was doing wrong, or why I got logged off but never mind.

Thanks admin, for responding so quickly and getting me back in the forum

Do any of you have any tips on how to securely store passwords? Not so concerned about sites such as this forum, but other more sensitive sites like banks etc.

If you download the Google toolbar it will offer to store passwords. Also Norton will store it.

But sometimes I don't think it's a good idea to store on a pc ... I had a friend who had a list of his passwords in a document on his pc, including his Windows log in. Which he forgot, and of course couldn't access since it was in his pc.

Personally, I have a book with all the data, well hidden from sight. Serves me best of all..

Must admit I have them all in a folder as well, stored well away from the computer. Would never remember all the different ones you have to do nowadays, what with all the odd charactors, capitals etc. Did once try Lastpass somehow couldn't get on with it.

Use a plain text easy to remember PW but prefix and suffix it with two or 3 special characters like ! % & ( > @ etc. than those are all you really have to remember.

I've been using Roboform for a number of years, easier than Lastpass but not free.

I have a lifetime licence.

I try to choose ones I can remember but some of the French sites where there is no security concern ask you for something that even the CIA could not decrypt, minimum 8 figures, numbers, letters, upper and lower case plus special symbols [:-))]

For others that will content themselves with 6+ figures numbers and letters, a pal gave me a good tip for something no-one else would know but that you would always recall, the number plate of your first or favorite vehicle.

[quote user="nectarine"]If you download the Google toolbar it will offer to store passwords. Also Norton will store it.

But sometimes I don't think it's a good idea to store on a pc ... I had a friend who had a list of his passwords in a document on his pc, including his Windows log in. Which he forgot, and of course couldn't access since it was in his pc.

Personally, I have a book with all the data, well hidden from sight. Serves me best of all..[/quote]

I would be extremely wary of any Google software!

See Here:

Mozilla Firefox will store your passwords: however, it asks if you want it to before proceeding. Therefore, obviously, banking, card etc details should never ever be so stored.

Perhaps the easiest secure way to store passwords and memorable words etc (in case of needing to change a password etc), is to download and load this encryption package: it is Open Source freeware.

Here:

Then create a Word or similar document, encrypt it and save to a memory stick.

Obviously you would need the key to decrypt the document when required.

[quote user="nectarine"]If you download the Google toolbar it will offer to store passwords. Also Norton will store it.

Personally, I have a book with all the data, well hidden from sight. Serves me best of all..[/quote]

I would be extremely wary of any Google software!

See Here:

Mozilla Firefox will store your passwords: however, it asks if you want it to before proceeding. Therefore, obviously, banking, card etc details should never ever be so stored.

Perhaps the easiest secure way to store passwords and memorable words etc (in case of needing to change a password etc), is to download and load this encryption package: it is Open Source freeware.

Here:

Then create a Word or similar document, encrypt it and save to a memory stick.

Obviously you would need the key to decrypt the document when required.