trying something with the new forum

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The strange thing is they don't seem to have changed the content and different sub-sections at all. Only squashed everything up to one side to make more space for the adverts.

I've just tried the search section, typed in "inheritance",and got 44 pages going back to 2002! Interesting, all the old names.

How often do I say to people on here, IF you want information about anything, 'call' or go and see them. That is how I live my life, always have, whether it be France or the UK.

AND so, I have just called Archant and spoken to James.

And this is what I have been told, not word for word, just the general jist.

Those working on the board have not wanted to close a 'live' board down whilst they are working on it. They have adjusted it, so that it can be used more easily by those with tablets etc, which I said had been suggested on the forum, but that we didn't actually 'know' that...... and we should have.

They are aware that improvements need to happen, even with the old format, and still need to be done.

I was clear that this new format is terrible and that just about everyone was very unhappy.

I suggested that those working on the board, actually post and say what they are doing and when. ie we all needed to know about these current alterations.

Also if they have to shut the board down to improve it, then put up a screen saying that it will be unavailable from say midday to 18h or when ever, or even closed for a week or whatever.

As far as I am concerned information is always the key. IF they are having a shut down for essential maintenance, then personally I can live with that and come back quite happily. Just keep me informed is all I ever ask.

[quote user="idun"]
As far as I am concerned information is always the key.

[/quote]

Information and above all communication.

Mind you this is a French forum so what they are doing, or rather not doing shows an astounding level of integration.

[quote user="Chancer"]

[quote user="idun"]

[/quote]

Information and above all communication.

Mind you this is a French forum so what they are doing, or rather not doing shows an astounding level of integration.

[/quote]

Not quite right chancer, it's a forum designed to get people to buy a magazine, and maybe the so called members are not doing that?

What amazes me is the total arrogance of those in charge, not a word of explanation or even "sorry about the changeover being a bit lumpy , but we'll sort it out, Oh and by the way do you like the new look", well that isn't necessary as they only have to read these pages and notice that the contributions over the weekend matched the "green job" in lack of contributors

. All we need now is a couple of P&O builders boasting about buying properties for 2 bob and how I bodged it, then sold it for a million Euros. Plus a bloke who hates the UK more than he hates his life in France, but cant afford to change it, so spends everyday spreading doom and gloom about Britain, and we could be exactly like another forum that changed it's format, boring.

[quote user="idun"]

AND so, I have just called Archant and spoken to James.

Just keep me informed is all I ever ask.

[/quote]

Brilliant, well done Idun. Not knowing what is happening is so frustrating.

Sue

As if totally cocking-up the new style forum wasn't enough you guys now have to live with ALBF.

This forum has been reeling for such a long time that even the small injection of hope last Sep when another forum similarly cocked-up its ''upgrade'' did little to re-energise it.

My quote function never worked anyway on a Chromebook but, compared to the newly-introduced user-unfriendliness, it's a minor irritation.

But at least you can criticise without getting chucked out.

[quote user="JSKS"]As if totally cocking-up the new style forum wasn't enough you guys now have to live with ALBF.

This forum has been reeling for such a long time that even the small injection of hope last Sep when another forum similarly cocked-up its ''upgrade'' did little to re-energise it.

[/quote]

If this forum takes off again (once they sort out the format) then hopefully FE will be buried once and for all. I am not sure who blows who's whistle on that site (maybe they blow together) but certainly the mods are run by a 'certain member/s' who get people banned at their discretion so that they can carry on their renovation propaganda. (Insert wink wink wink yellow type thing)

So we all have a duty to make this forum work as we will help protect French Patrimoine /heritage in the country that we love from two marauding bodging P&O white van men/women from assimilating old French buildings with the intent of selling them on to unsuspecting brits wishing to live the dream on a budget.

Your adopted country needs you ! Unsuspecting Brits need you !

Unless of course they run this site like they do every other French forum then I am already banned. LOL

P.S What happened to Ally ?

"What happened to Ally?"

Disappeared into the SNP's misery along with the fishy duo and their referendum. Although he'll probably reappear trying to stop the English voting on English matters. Still maybe he's in Greece advising them?

ALBF said

If this forum takes off again (once they sort out the format) then hopefully FE will be buried once and for all. I am not sure who blows who's whistle on that site (maybe they blow together) but certainly the mods are run by a 'certain member/s' who get people banned at their discretion so that they can carry on their renovation propaganda. (Insert wink wink wink yellow type thing)

So we all have a duty to make this forum work as we will help protect French Patrimoine /heritage in the country that we love from two marauding bodging P&O white van men/women from assimilating old French buildings with the intent of selling them on to unsuspecting brits wishing to live the dream on a budget.

Your adopted country needs you ! Unsuspecting Brits need you !

Unless of course they run this site like they do every other French forum then I am already banned. LOL

P.S What happened to Ally ?

(The quote function just brings up loads of code - can't find an italics button either)

Yes, the other place is over-moderated and there are definitely favourites who can post any amount of hate-filled, insulting, fascist or otherwise objectionable rubbish yet remain unchastened. However, at least the software works.

Ally came back as ''normally''.

Why not try again? Maybe you should try names like ''Icily'' or Misty3''. Those sort of avatars seem invulnerable!

I miss those pathetically silly arguments we used to have. You?

[quote user="JSKS"]

I miss those pathetically silly arguments we used to have. You?[/quote]

Pathetic silly arguments is my middle name.

I will go back to the other forum when they sack char (lead moderator....whatever that is) and sidekick Nevile (Johney no stars moderator) for being spineless and unable to moderate a forum properly. The arrogance of two members on that forum is quite shocking. They openly destroy old French buildings, they openly mock on the forum the AE Brit builders they employ to do all the work, they openly mock their customers on the forum and they swan about on forums spewing nonsense and telling everyone how much money they got. If you contest them, you are banned. These people make me so angry. It is everything a forum should not be.

Ally got banned for a reason. I wonder what it was ? Hmmm.

ALBF wrote:

1. Pathetic silly arguments is my middle name.

2. The arrogance of two members on that forum is quite shocking.

3. Ally got banned for a reason. I wonder what it was ? Hmmm.

In answer to the points above:

1. Tee hee. Now that made me chuckle.

2. There are more who post really quite revolting stuff yet remain uncensored, largely, I think, because they don't upset the management directly. There's one particular racist, another quite savage fascist, a recent member whose posts almost always contain juvenile sexual references. While it's fair enough to stand up to such filth, it sometimes seems that the mods take the view that you can say pretty much what you like as long as you don't directly challenge these sort of people. Odd. And the real killer is to criticise the forum!.

3. I don't know exactly but I do know he had a difficult relationship with the female of the duo you refer to. We know how that's going to end, don't we?

[quote user="JSKS"]OK. But at least we quintupled the daily post count![/quote]

nope, it's sextupled (is there such a word?). I have no idea about the other forum either. But I'm still grumpy about this oneand planned to vote with my feet and stay away until it returned to normal (temper tantrum, anyone?) then thought nobody would miss me if I did that, so here I am again ... *throws toys out of pram*

The quotes facility has been screwed up since the lavender fields down/up grade.

If you use IE and set the compatibility mode as HSD suggested several pages ago, then the quotes seem to work.  For those with other systems then you now seem to be condemned as I have been for a couple of years.  It really is a PITA and should not be an issue for a competent programmer.

It's great to see such an active thread... of course, it's a shame that it will probably be the last active thread ever.

What a shambles. There've been some poorly executed upgrades on CF over the years but this beats them all.