trying something with the new forum

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]

there will be an accountant somewhere ... thinking... "that went well...10 bob well spent"

[/quote]

[:)][:)][:)]

Edit : I suppose that I should be grateful for (very) small mercies as the quote function and the smilies work. But as for the rest of it ... I despair.

Sue

[/quote]

Just experimenting to see if the quote system works with my system! It is true that if I turn my tablet on it's side the adverts disappear !

I think had the 'upgrade ' been outsourced to Mumbai it would have worked much better.! They're pretty good there but not cheap. More likely someone's IT degree project.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="NickP"][quote user="lindal1000"]So it appears that the quote function doesn't work too well for everyone![/quote]

Test for Firefox

[/quote]

I have just looked at the forum on my iPad and funnily enough it looks OK. I viewed it in portrait mode and see no ads on the side, landscape and the adds appear. To me it looks better on the tablet than a desk top PC, maybe that's the market they are aiming for, after all most people these days travel and carry tablets and smart phones. Although I do find the colour scheme a bit bright and bland.

Try scrolling down to the bottom of the page and see how many pages of nothing there are with just one random line.

Mind you for me on a PC running IE I have to do that just to get down to what remains of the forum.

Surely this must be the death of the forum, even the mods have done one.

Surprisingly, the new, "improved" format works pretty well on my Lenovo Android tablet. I'm using Chrome. The posts occupy the central two-thirds of the 8in screen, with no ads visible - apart from screeds of promotional stuff at the bottom. I tend to agree, though, that IT departments or their bosses regularly try to fix things that aren't broken and almost always fail miserably in the process. I haven't tried it on my PC yet but fear the worst, judging by other posts.

Still looks awful on my PC. Who does one contact ? The 'contact us' page only gives options to contact marketing/advertising, etc. Certainly there's nothing where one can contact whoever runs the forum. Who are the mods? Are they reading this? There's plenty of other France-discussion fora on the internet which are easier on the eye ....

Well this gal is happy, I can read all the posts really well and cannot see the side panel with the adverts.

I'm sorry that the ctrl and wheeling the mouse to get a screen bigger doesn't work for one and all.

As I said earlier, more or less, when the going gets tough the bosses disappear init [:-))]

Edit  : - Plus, when the reply is posted it goes back to the top of the page and you have to scroll down to check what you have tryped [8-)]

[quote user="idun"]I have just pressed on ctrl and scrolled the wheel and made the page bigger and voila the ads have disappeared and everything is really 'big' now, and I can live with that.[:)]

[/quote]

Thanks for that Idun, just tried your suggestion, and as you say, it gets rid of the adverts and I can live with big text ... but it's still a shambles.

[quote user="rowland"]Does anyone else find it difficult to read now? Everything seems so close together and ill-defined. Much preferred the lines separating each topic - much easier to read - must be getting old![/quote]

Join the clan.

Couldn't agree more.

I am trying to adapt to this but it is oh so hard.

A word from the powers-that-be would have been helpful.

Sue

It's also something to do with the wishy-washy colours. I much preferred the stronger yellows of the old forum and the distinct breaks between topics ... here's it's sort of blended together and not so easy to split up subjects. Has anybody heard from Archant about this?

Agree with all of the above, the colours, poorly-defined text etc.  Not only that, all the individual "sayings" (whatever they are called) at the end of posts are now the same size and font as the main body of the posts.

Can someone tell me how to navigate back one page to access posts that are not on the current page without being taken back to the first post of the thread and then having to look for the page numbers?

This is definitely a change too far for me[:'(]

mint, it is at the bottom of the posts on the page I can see, before it starts with 'Our Magazines' and all the other bumpf they now have. So immediately after the posts, there is a go back arrow and the numbers of pages.ie I have just tried and it said Page 7 of 9.

In reply to Iduns thread, yes it is now dead, it never really recovered from the last pointless makeover so it only took a minor coup de grace.

Complete silence from the moderators and the forum management, now almost complete silence from the members.

This and another forum were both once thriving and vibrant communities packed full of help and advice, both of them have been decimated by useless makeovers that bring no benefits whatsoever, they are both now shadows of their previous incarnations.

I think it was the coup de grace.

Intentional? probably not but like the other forum they could not have done a better job  to kill it off had they tried.