trying something with the new forum

I went to town with my ad-blocking program (uBlock - highly recommended) and created permanent additions to its block list to cover various forum page elements and it has cleared away all the obnoxious icons from the right hand side. Sadly there is no way to expand the text to the newly blank area.

[img]http://s10.postimg.org/mq7fhu5qh/Untitled.jpg[/img]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame that it screwed everything else up though Dave

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Johns/Screenshot%202015-07-08%2012.36.49_zpssndaegbi.png.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/Screenshot%202015-07-08%2012.36.49_zpssndaegbi.png[/IMG][/URL]

This is from Safari. Not something I normally use, but just to try it?? No smilies on here?

Now back to Firefox and I'll see if that screenshot comes out on here??[8-)]

[URL=http://s47.photobucket.com/user/Jonzjob/media/Johns/Screenshot%202015-07-08%2012.36.49_zpssndaegbi.png.html][IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jonzjob/Johns/Screenshot%202015-07-08%2012.36.49_zpssndaegbi.png[/IMG][/URL]

Errrrrrrr, not tuned for Safari either me-thinks [:-))]

Perhaps someone has been promoted to the height of their incompetence? Or should that be incontinence [Www]

[quote user="dave21478"]It has the looks and functionality of a teenagers Myspace page circa 2005, but a web designer is getting paid actual money to blunder around making glaring errors.

[/quote]

Hmmm ... I must admit that I find the new layout much less readable: there is less differentiation between posts in the "active posts" view, so it takes longer to skim-read the titles. Definitely not an improvement.

Haven't tried it on tablet or smartphone, but then again, the incompatibility with Chrome is a disincentive.

I wonder if anyone actually tested this for usability?

Poorly formatted - even the LH column  with User Details almost overspills into posts.

Load of wasted screen space with unnecessary background of lavender fields.

The overall effect just grates and I don't think I'll be visiting here much even for a browse with it in this latest format.

As someone who frequents over a dozen forums covering various interests, I have to say that this new layout is the worst of any of them. I really don't like it.

I'm now going to take my Bentley engine to pieces and see if I can put it back together.

Actually I won't, as it isn't broken!

[quote user="Jonzjob"]No smilies on here?[/quote]

Me, I hope it stays that way and doesn't become like some french forums I visit occasionally, where posts are plastered with animated smileys, at least a couple per line, flashing and waving in a demented way which, I assume, appeals to our hosts.

What is it with the people who run this site, the new format is complete and total sh*te on a 54cm screen with the actual posts occupying about 1/3rd of it !

Does it work better in IE, I don't know and don't care because I will not be forced into using that pile of dog puke because some sloppy incompetent idiot cannot write code which is compatible with all the common browsers.

The forum is already virtually dead on it's feet, 10 new posts or so on an average day, and this rubbish will do nothing to make anybody want to visit much less stay.

Crap crap crap !!!

My guess is that the contract has been outsourced to Mumbai....you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Sadly the way most IT is going these days.

Someone probably tested it on some obscure Linux browser and it looked fine. Tossers.

By the way in IE it is marginally better if you put it into Compatibility View as the adverts disappear

[quote user="AnOther"]What is it with the people who run this site, the new format is complete and total sh*te ...

Does it work better in IE, I don't know and don't care because I will not be forced into using that pile of dog puke ...

[/quote]

Sorry to cut and paste your post AnOther in such an underhand way but I am not a happy bunny and your post hit to the heart of the matter in question.

As I am such a genuine follower of this forum - since October 2000 when I found it - in all its many and varied guises I have faithfully tried my very best when the site has undergone an update.

Latterly, and for the past few years, all has been good - especially as I use Firefox which is easy to tweak... and I have tweaked and adapted to the vagueries of the code used here.

Now I am (almost) speechless; I have tried almost all options at my fingertips to make this present concoction functional but I have failed. I even, heaven forfend, retried IE, something I haven't looked at for umpteen years but that was even worse.

Please, please please can someone who knows what they are doing re-introduce a site which actually works ...

Sue

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]

My guess is that the contract has been outsourced to Mumbai....you pay peanuts you get monkeys. Sadly the way most IT is going these days.

Someone probably tested it on some obscure Linux browser and it looked fine. Tossers.

By the way in IE it is marginally better if you put it into Compatibility View as the adverts disappear

[/quote]

HSD, thanks for that.  Oh dear it seems this forum will go the way of another competitive one - maybe the IT expert on that forum was sacked and got a job here.  It certainly smacks of the same level of inexpertise.

As I am sure the Germans would say, "Ruecksprung durch Inkomptenz."

EDITED to Add:   HSD's comment about compatibility mode also seems to make the quote function operate as it should instead of creating the Gobbledygook we previously enjoyed.

Oh dear it seems this forum will go the way of another competitive one - maybe the IT expert on that forum was sacked and got a job here

If the guilty person looks like a pubescent monkey then you are right although on the cock up scale this is not his best work, but I'm sure it will only get worse, these things never get better do they? That would involve someone understanding the point of view of those strange beings that call themselves adults and admitting that what they have done can and should be improved.

I hope I'm wrong but I have seen this all too often, including this forum itself so I dont hold out much help.

[quote user="HoneySuckleDreams"]

there will be an accountant somewhere ... thinking... "that went well...10 bob well spent"

[/quote]

[:)][:)][:)]

Edit : I suppose that I should be grateful for (very) small mercies as the quote function and the smilies work. But as for the rest of it ... I despair.

Sue