spell check

I use two computers to access this site and others, one laptop win xp, and one desktop win 7.

On the desktop the spell checker works IE small red squigly line under the incorrect word. but on the laptop there is nothing.

I refered to this on an post a few days ago. Any enlightened person any idea whats wrong.

This is written on laptop so I think there is at least one wrong spelling.

Web spell checking can be as much of a browser function as an OS one.

What is the default language on the XP machine and which browser are you using with it ?

You're correct about spelling errors in your post:

On the desktop the spell checker works IE small red squigly line under the incorrect word. but on the laptop there is nothing.

I refered to this on an post a few days ago. Any enlightened person any idea whats wrong.

This is written on laptop so I think there is at least one wrong spelling.

Ano, thanks for the help, updated Firefox to the current version , still no difference, installed your add on and my little squiggly red line has returned.

Don't know why it worked in Win7 as I don't have that add on on the desktop. Oh well  must be a windows little hiccup.

If you want a world of grief with spellcheck try changing your language settings to French in W7 or maybe its IE10.

I need spellcheck for French, I can put up with all the red squiggly lines appearing while i am writing in English as I want to know when I miss-spell a French word, it is not set for auto-correct yet it will make some changes after I have finished typing the words and am looking at what I am further typing so I dont see them, it will add accents to English words that have the same spelling in French like décades - one that I just typed on another thread, the accents are usually too small for me to see, that I can poke up with but would rather it did what it is supposed to and red line them and show me the error, thats how I learn.

The one that really winds me up though and it happens to other nationalities who change the spellcheck language with regard to the operating system language, is that it keeps adding bruddy capital letters to words after I type like Under, Worth, and of course Inow my mind is blank and  cannot think of any others but its rare to write more than a sentence without having to go back and remove capital letters.

Anyone else suffer from this? Have they found a solution? On an international car forum i use I see that other EU migrants postings have capital letters added to the same words.

That's quite a German thing.  All nouns are capitalised.

I have to select Swiss French to get my keyboard to agree with what appears on the screen.

As an aside, here at work we had an 'Upgrade' Huh, Upgrade my backside, and some applications failed. It seemed that they were very sensitive to regional settings.  The email that came around to explain this said 'You must change your Religion settings' I work with a guy who is strict Muslim and he found this very funny.  Sometime later I asked if he had sorted out his PC and he said 'Yeah, I just converted to Christianity and it was fine' [:D]

The spellcheck works fine in French Steve, its just it takes liberties [:D], I would not mind if it did it like predictive text which I find really usefull (for Learning French spelling) on my 17 year old Nokia phone but its the sneaky making changes behind me like the capital L in Learning just before and again now, Worth but not worthy été etc. it even just changed etc to été when i made a typo on the c .

I am not used to having to constantly Watch my back, Watch, thats another one [:'(] watchmaker is OK though, it really fecks me off, the spellcheck is supposed to underline (see thats ok unlike Under [:(]) and ask me, its really giving me a complex [:(]

I am on Linux so what I say my not be applicable to Windows users.

I have both French and UK English loaded into FF and Libre Office.

On FF under Prefernces/Content/Languges I can choose my preferred language

On Libre Office I can just choose the language for the text each time , and as a back up in French if I am uncertain I just enter the text into http://bonpatron.com/

and it picks up things including gender and accents.

I have chosen my language for correction orthographique and its set to French, it does indeed spellcheck and as would be expected most of this English text that I am writing has red wriggly underlines, I can understand it putting in accents when there is no other spelling for the word without accents but even that is a liberty, I may have made a typo and it should put a red wriggly line so that if I hover over it it will suggest télé  for instance and not insert an accent for a typo of "tele" for "tell"

What I really dont get is why it capitalises words that dont exist in the French language like Under, Worth, etc etc, both of those are place names in the UK though which might be something to do with it.

It drives me mad though and doesnt happen on another forum but I am forced to use Chrome for that one, I'll try this forum on Chrome and see what happens, probably a load of other undesirable stuff as is usually the case, I have sites I visit that will only work or be readable in one browser or another, others that wont even load in one or the other, my bank wont even let me sign in unless I reduce the zoom back to 100%. Whatever happened to compatability?

Just for Dept71 I've fired up my old XP Netbook and downgraded to FF 45

(British English version) and with the British English Dictionary I

linked to installed spell checking works perfectly.

FF British English 32bit can be downlaoded here: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/45.0/win32/en-GB/ or 64 bit here https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/45.0/win64/en-GB/

EDIT: Updated to FF 52 and still working [;-)]

Yes Ano I did exactly as you advised a few posts back. installed the add-on for Firefox and it all works as it should.

But I don't have the add-on installed on the desktop running Win7 and the spell check still  works. Must be the difference between XP and Win7

Thanks for the help.

You did indeed but hey ho.

FWIW it works exactly the same on my Win7 PC so where your spell check is coming from without a plugin I don't know, it's not simply XP-v-7 though that's for certain.

It could be something to do with IE I suppose but since I've completely expunged that piece of pooh  from my Win7 machine I have no way to test it.