Chocolate teapot forum.

Chancer

Forum now completely unusable in internet explorer, there is no longer a space to type a response just the title, smileys and a load of adverts, using Chrome the poxy background and the adverts leave but a tiny portion of the screen no larger than a mobile phone.

no doubt Another will enjoy my woe and say it could only happen to me.

I wont be using the forum any more because it wont let me, no changes made on my computer it worked as usual earlier and I have tried a reboot, sort it out Archant

Don't tell Another, but the forum works fine on a Mac using chrome. In fact it works fine on any browser.

That other forum that people complain about in terms of speed (can't remember its name) is lightning quick on my computer. Works perfectly. Everything is instantaneous.

Say it before and I will say it again....WINDOWS !!!

Chancer......get yourself a Chromebook. They are cheap as chips and far better than that nonsense computer you use at the minute. My girls has one and it is superb.

My pc is on Linux and FIREFOX and I have the same problem, this pad works though.

Please don't leave Chancer, you would be missed. I must say I could not believe my eyes last night when I tried to reply and the box was missing, and just wondered which supposed IT expert thought this was a 'good' idea for a forum?

Well seemingly its fixed now.

We will probably never know the reason why, communication does not seem to be a pre-requisite for IT people.

Using Chrome was not an option for me, only a tiny portion of the screen was available for the forum, I only use it for sites which refuse to load on IE where I use an adblocker, pretty much every news site which are the most common links from this forum, not only do most of the links not work because the poster has used another browser but it takes me a lot of time and effort to even be able to copy the web address, then I have to change browser to Chrome.

The forum will continue to die a natural death whether I remain or not.

Chancer, I had that problem yesterday. I did a few things including restarting Windows to try to solve it.

It was finally resolved when I disabled whatever ad blocker I was using, which I later removed, so don't remember which one it was.

Could have been coincidence, of course.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you find this forum unusable with either IE or chrome.

I don't have problem normally on Windoze 8.1 +chrome and I just checked on Internet Explorer - it gives the same result - absolutely fine.

Could the problems you have be at your end?

Saw that Chancer had posted that he was back to normal I was not, my post which says that I am was actually when I was.

And NO, is not down to 'our' individual computers, how can it be.... And I use Linux with Firefox, windows, I avoid if I can, in any of its forms!

[quote user="idun"]Saw that Chancer had posted that he was back to normal I was not, my post which says that I am was actually when I was.

And NO, is not down to 'our' individual computers, how can it be.... And I use Linux with Firefox, windows, I avoid if I can, in any of its forms![/quote]

So you avoid Windows in all it's evil manifestations and have problems - I use Windows and Chrome and don't have problems - QED?

So depressing that a thread about a forum problem which anyone can can see from the number of people affected was indeed a forum problem and not peoples computers should degenerate once again into a s**t-slinging session about what browser or operating system is the holy grail.

Touch wood and duck my head in Bobo’s bucket, have not yet encountered the problem, Chancer. Surely the mod or mods (no longer sure how many there are) will have been made aware and will have sprung into immediate action nia their emergency hotline to the great and the good at Archant??

Is the Holy Gail a kind of divine wind?

[quote user="woolybanana"]Touch wood and duck my head in Bobo’s bucket, have not yet encountered the problem, Chancer. Surely the mod or mods (no longer sure how many there are) will have been made aware and will have sprung into immediate action nia their emergency hotline to the great and the good at Archant??[/quote]

Sadly Wooly, your imagination for Archant's excellent forum is almost as bad as your belief an a certain political party [:D]

[quote user="Chancer"]So depressing that a thread about a forum problem which anyone can can see from the number of people affected was indeed a forum problem and not peoples computers should degenerate once again into a s**t-slinging session about what browser or operating system is the holy grail.[/quote]

Not really, it is probably a combination of old people and windows that is the problem.

Like I said it works on a Mac (apart from the quoting thing) and like I also said the other dead forum is very quick on my computer. How many complaints/threads have I read about speed over there ??

I was going to start a forum once. It would only take two minutes to set up. But I think forums have had there day.

I would send an email to Bently (or whatever his name was) to join and liven things up.

I've not encountered any difficulties with the forum. I put this down to chance, not the OS or the browser I'm using. Clearly, there has been an issue...there may still be an issue...but, as no-one with the power or wherewithal to fix it gives a monkeys about it, it's almost pointless even pointing it out. I say "almost" pointless because at least it gives people something to talk about?

What I would certainly add is that if the means of accessing this forum involves me changing either the software or the hardware I'm using in order to do so, I simply won't bother.