Testing forum software

betise

However, my laptop, using the same products, has just gone t*ts up.

Every time I make a restart to install update KB4056892, or it decides to restart, it ends up with just a blue screen with the new Windows logo proudly in the middle.

This cycle repeats ad infinitum.

Nothing to do with this forum, but just saying.

Apparently it's due to the latest W10 updates combined with an AMD processor.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Back on my computer.

So there you go, it seems to work on Firefox but you lose the cursor.

I prefer Chrome with this forum even though the quote button does not work.

Chancer, are you using firefox ?

I personally don't like firefox.[/quote]

Because I am a bit of a techy numpty I just use what is installed. W10 + Edge and I am expecting our top of the range up to date technical result to look like a pile of ------.

Let's see if I am right.

[quote user="alittlebitfrench"]Back on my computer. So there you go, it seems to work on Firefox but you lose the cursor. I prefer Chrome with this forum even though the quote button does not work. Chancer, are you using firefox ? I personally don't like firefox.[/quote]

Windows 7 Internet explorer something.

Still several minutes before I get the cursor and can post.

[quote user="nomoss"]However, my laptop, using the same products, has just gone t*ts up.

Every time I make a restart to install update KB4056892, or it decides to restart, it ends up with just a blue screen with the new Windows logo proudly in the middle.

This cycle repeats ad infinitum.

Nothing to do with this forum, but just saying.

Apparently it's due to the latest W10 updates combined with an AMD processor.

[/quote]Not just AMD and it's all to do with this:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-update-kb4056892-fails-to-install/35281c25-94e3-4578-b341-6fc59e7cda7e?auth=1

Some AV programmes can interfere with this particular update as they see it as malware so it's important to check that first, the supplier should have a notification if they have fixed it or not.

Thanks for that ANO. I will try that right now.

I uninstalled AVG AV some time ago, now using only Windows Defender on the laptop (which is only used when travelling).

I have run all the diagnostic and repair options I could find via Settings, and am close to rolling back to W7 (if that even works) or giving it a float test.

Well, that used up a quite a bit of my precious time!

My laptop W10 version (1709, same as this PC) doesn't correspond to those listed in the link to MS Support mentioned in your link to MS Community, but I downloaded and opened the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter package from MS Support.

I ticked the offending update (KB3073930) in the list which eventually appeared, and after following the procedure I was told the repair had been made, and to retry the operation I had a problem with.

"Update and Security" still showed a restart required, so I did this once more, resulting in the usual long period of blue screens with reassurances that "we" are repairing the system, etc.

After two more forced restarts to get the W10 desktop on the screen, on rechecking U & S, the system is now up to date, and is no longer requiring a restart.

Fingers crossed, and thanks again ANO [:D]

An hour went by, so I "checked for updates", having "hidden" the nasty KB4056892.

It has no longer found it and reports no updates are available, so no more futile restarts required.

I hope.

That was more successful than other "solutions" I have found in the past, most of which were as effective as taking Lemsip for a dose of clap.