GET RID OF THAT SODDING COOKIE POLICY POP UP

EuroTrash

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this problem a while ago and then it suddenly disappeared - no more problems I thought but this evening it has started again. Cannot even click on the options re Cookie Policy - it won't go away until you click on "I accept" and then only briefly until you click on a topic and back it comes. Surely there is something that can be done - if so please do it asap because impossible to use the forum as it is now.

As I said on the other thread :

Try clearing your cache of cookies : https://kb.iu.edu/d/ahic

Sorry I cannot make the link live as I use Chrome.

If you have an icon you click on to come here .. or you have this web address on your favourites bar then remove it and remake the shortcut.

That usually sorts the problem.

I can't pretend to know anything about this problem, but it

must be connected to the settings of particular computers or browsers.

I have never even seen a pop up when using this

forum.

My PC and laptop both have Windows 10 Home, and use only

Mozilla Firefox.

Both of these have been left to update automatically since I

built this machine and bought the (rather ancient) laptop, both originally

running W7.

I have FF options set to block all pop-up windows, and

manually give permission to sites where they are needed, if I feel have to see

them. I currently have only 13 sites where I allow them.

I don't refuse any cookies if I want to view a site, but

regularly look at the list and delete those from web sites I don’t regularly

visit, and those taking up signifiacnt space – some take up 20 or 30 MB.

Complete France has 3.4 MB of space at the moment.

[quote user="mint"]Bravo, nomoss!  Take a bow....great advice[:)]

[/quote]

It isn't intended as advice, just remarks on how I handle browsing without encountering any huge problems, so that others can compare my approach with what they do................

Crabtree wrote : Still getting it - on every click in the forum!!!!

Have you cleared your cache and renewed your icon as I suggested earlier ?

What browser are you using ? Is it uptodate ?

'Cos like ALBF I don't have a problem at all on any of the machines I use to access this site : tablet, laptop, etc and they are a Heintz 57 variety of Android, Microsoft, Windows 10, Windows 7 etc etc.

It comes and goes on my phone: currently all I've got to work with. Yes, I clear cookies, cache etc. And yet it still keep a returning.

Of greater concern is the spam pop ups telling me I'min line for a new phone, which ONLY come up on this site, and which, once I've purged everything, come back purportedly from a different address than the one I've just purged. Even incognito browsing and the use of a blocking app haven't completely rid me of this problem. ?

[quote user="suein56"]Crabtree wrote : Still getting it - on every click in the forum!!!!

Have you cleared your cache and renewed your icon as I suggested earlier ?

What browser are you using ? Is it uptodate ?

'Cos like ALBF I don't have a problem at all on any of the machines I use to access this site : tablet, laptop, etc and they are a Heintz 57 variety of Android, Microsoft, Windows 10, Windows 7 etc etc.[/quote]

Yes, yes and yes.
Firefox 68.0.2 x 64 (the latest).
Only use that here, so cannot help about other browsers.

PS - Tried to delete previous post but it will not let me!

OK here I am in FireFox guise .. a browser that I haven't used for many, many years .. using my trusty old Windows 7 laptop.
I have done nothing at all except log in, have a look around, reply to a couple of posts and then come on here to reply to you .. I have had no pop-ups, nothing at all, nothing demanding I log in on every page or with every change of subject.
So far so good.
One thing I will say is that I had forgotten how great it was to be able to click 'reply with quote' .. a function that deffo does not work with Chrome.

Signing off here.

Edit : I've just noticed that my version of FF is 67.0.2 and it seems that i can update to a later version.
Will try that and then get back to you. Nothing if not thorough.

Edit : Now I have Firefox 68.0.2 and nothing at all has changed, I am still logged in .. straight here with no pop-ups and no requests to log-in again.

OK .. now I am on my Win10 laptop .. still with Firefox 68.0.2 .. have had a quick look around, read some posts, been backwards and forwards, written a post or two, edited a post .. again with no problems and no request to log-in repeatedly after the initial log-in.
Again I don't think I have used FF on this machine since I got it 3 years ago, apart from updating it .. which I usually do.

So, in the end, it seems that the answer is that there is nothing intrinsically wrong with this site .. apart from the fact that it is slow and out of date, and buggy, and won't let Chrome users use the quote function.

To sum up : There must be something not quite right in the settings on your computer if you are getting constant requests to log-in.