House/cat sitters in U.K.

Does anyone have any experience with house sitters ? for example are they reliable / trustworthy etc. and also how much does it cost ?

It would be nice to visit France sometimes with my husband , but have the problem of cat care and house sitting to deal with , we are in a city so don`t know any neighbours here.

Regards,

Jude

Hi,

I looked into this when we lived in London - there are quite a few websites if you type in a search under animal/house sitting services, but none that I could find gave any inkling of their charges.

We always ended up putting the animals in kennels/catteries, and trusting the house security to the alarm system and watchful neighbours. Just before we left for France I noticed that someone in our local vets was advertising house/pet sitting services so you could also explore that avenue.

Had "free" house sitters twice when young friends (20 year olds)were anxious to have a few weeks break away with their boyfriends and "play house". One couple were superb, the second lot had parties, left the house in a disgusting state and broke things - after that I said never again!

>Does anyone have any experience with
>house sitters ? for example are they reliable / trustworthy
>etc. and also how much does it cost ?

Hi Jude

I can't give you exact figures as we did not proceed but, as an indication, we found companies which charged between 20 - 40 per day for each sitter plus food allowance (for them!) plus an additional charge for each animal. As we had 5 cats at the time these charges were going to be so huge we decided against it.

Sue

Hi

We have used Animal Aunts which although with 3 dogs came a little pricey for 2 weeks they were superb! We came back off holiday to find 3 very knackered dogs and sparkling clean house, watered and tidied garden and the couple that came to stay were very much retired! Lovely, have used them many times now and never had a problem. They are all fully insured and vetted for suitability.

My sister-in-law now works for them.

Hope this helps

Greg