certified translation of full birth certificate

Meo

I understand the French Consulate in London does this for a fee. however their phone number just gives an automated response and i am loathe to send off such important documents without being sure that that is the correct procedure and address.

can anyone help?

I'm not in France yet, I'm still in the UK and was hoping to get this done before leaving. last time i went in 2001 i got this done from home (but it was through university so not really sure how), does anyone have any ideas?

I had mine done by the French consulate in London in 1997.  I just remember sending it off registered post.  You have to have the full birth certificate.  But if you are coming to France, it might be something that could wait, because as John and Angie suggest, a traducteur assermenté is your best bet I think.  I don't think I have ever had to produce mine, they always seem more interested in the passport

Jane

Unless you are absolutely certain that you need this I would wait.  We have been in France for over 2 years and have done most of the paperwork things - bought house, registered car, got carte de sejour, CPAM etc etc and have not needed translated certificates for any of those things.  I realise that this varies from place to place, but unless you're advised differently most places seem to be able to cope with the English originals.  You will however need a full version of your birth certificate if you only have the shortened one.

Hope this might save you a few euros.

Maggi

first of all pardon my ignorance

we have just bought in 79 well almost we have had the date to sign the "final one " and we have managed so far on the "abridged version" of our birth cirtificates, as we are due to sign on the 17th of this month do we need to get our "FULL ONES" before we go ........help......

We had our (full) birth/marriage certificates certified. If you need a full certificate you can order online - let me know if you need a hand to get the reference. 

When we needed certified copies of birth/marriage certificates I asked a local accountant to oblige.  Try to find a qualified accountant - (certified and chartered have merged) who perhaps works from home and provided he has necessary huge stamp to satisfy French officials, will probably sign them for a small charge.

Make sure he adds the correct form of words:

"Original vu, Name, Qualification, signature, date"

Good luck

Linda

[quote]Unless you are absolutely certain that you need this I would wait. We have been in France for over 2 years and have done most of the paperwork things - bought house, registered car, got carte de sejo...[/quote]

If you are going to register with the Chamber de Metiers, or Chamber de Commerce, you, will, need the full version translated by a recognised body!

As posted earlier, you can get a list of your nearest from the Prefecture, or the above.

"If you are going to register with the Chamber de Metiers, or Chamber de Commerce, you, will, need the full version translated by a recognised body"

Not necessarily - it varies from département to département. Best to find out exactly what is required where you are.

I have found in 50 that for most things the short birth certificate was sufficient, though I did have to get a full version for affiliation to the health system. I've never been asked for a translation of this or any other documents.

As Will says, it depends. We have bought a house, a car, created an enterprise (SARL) registered with the chambre de commerce, USSAF, Organics, Green health card, TVA registered (company and personally), etc. etc. WITHOUT translated certificates of any kind.

Like everything in France, all the rules are open to interpretation depending HOW and WHAT questions you ask. Don't go in with the answers (even if you know them). Each functionary has a job. Let them do their job and you will be rewarded.

[quote]As Will says, it depends. We have bought a house, a car, created an enterprise (SARL) registered with the chambre de commerce, USSAF, Organics, Green health card, TVA registered (company and personall...[/quote]

Well, obviously, Dept 34, is one of the more difficult dept to live in then! Our Chamber de Metier wanted a CDS, and, our Full birth certs, TRANSLATED by a recognised body.

Before we left for France at the beginning of this year I got our marriage certificate translated. I had to telephone the French Consulate in London to ask them for a list of approved translators. They sent me the list, and I arranged the translation with someone on the list who lived locally. I paid them a fee (I think it was about £20). Then I had to take it into the Consulate for stamping. This was charged at an extra £12 or so. If you go down this route be prepared to wait awhile at the Consulate, you can't just pop in and out quickly. After all that we haven't actually needed it, but at least we knew we had it, just in case! We have purchased two houses and a car and applied for a Carte Vitale and never needed more than a short version birth certificate, without translations, but this obviously depends on where you will be based (we are in 46). 

Good luck,

Jane