change for the better?

opas

[quote]Ha!! I've been over in the Sunday School doing sterling work defending the common people's right to eat at McDonalds. I deserve 500 free posts for extreme Moral Righteousness.[/quote]

Hey SB, weren't you just a simple Forum Member like me yesterday - it looks like you've been promoted! Must be getting over 500 posts. Pleased I'm not a Junior Member. Wouldn't have minded being Newbie when new, but Junior Member sounds - well, I don't know - perhaps a little derogatory. Does senior make you feel old or more authoratative? You know, a bit like prefects, but the moderators are those.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it possible to do accents?

I see in one of my earlier posts that all the accented letters that I so lovingly and pedantically included have vanished, leaving Gant instead of Géant, Vende instead of Vendée and Chteau instead of Château (you'll have to imagine the missing accents if they've gone AWOL again!).

(Oh, I see that they have all turned up in this post - Great!)

I can't see how to add my signature, however - although I have created one.

Sorry to be so boring - 3 posts from me on the trot - but replying to others on previous pages. Anyway, I know that when I log onto the forum, the topics that have been added to since the last time I was here are shown differently, but how will I know which posts I have read within a topic? With the old forum, it was easy to see which posts I have read. But if 3 more pages are added to this topic before the next time I join, will I know that this is as far as I got without glancing through the previous postings first, or do I need to keep some sort of note of the page I got to?

Jill, like you I liked the old format, but as Peter has suggested we will have to be more disciplined about starting new threads instead of going 'off topic'.

I lost lots of info in my old message box too, I think that after waiting for months, suddenly the right people had the time available and it was all systems go!

>>>Sorry to be so boring - 3 posts from me on the trot - but replying to others on previous pages. Anyway, I know that when I log onto the forum, the topics that have been added to since the last time I was here are shown differently, but how will I know which posts I have read within a topic? With the old forum, it was easy to see which posts I have read. But if 3 more pages are added to this topic before the next time I join, will I know that this is as far as I got without glancing through the previous postings first, or do I need to keep some sort of note of the page I got to?<<<<

On the first page, scroll to the bottom of the posting areas (under Corsica) and click on 'Mark all topics as read'

[quote]Who told you that, Steve Bruce by any chance No, it was close but it's not how but how many, or is that golf ?. Miki[/quote]

I'm finding this new format quite slow, quite TF'y and quite tricky. For instance, more of the quote is there then I wanted, but I can't work out how to change it.

Hey Miki,  I'd love to know, is that the image of Senor Greavsie you are using?

[quote]Who told you that, Steve Bruce by any chance No, it was close but it's not how but how many, or is that golf ?. Miki[/quote]

I'm finding this new format quite slow, quite TF'y and quite tricky.

Miki, I need to know, to settle marital dispute; is that the image of Senor Greavsie you are using?

[quote]I'm finding this new format quite slow, quite TF'y and quite tricky. Miki, I need to know, to settle marital dispute; is that the image of Senor Greavsie you are using?[/quote]

Tresco,

It sure is, it's my personal little tribute to the master himself.

How much would the man that George Best once described as, "the best player in the world" cost today ? Going on Rooney's estimatation, I would say £200 million at least!

A lovely quote which I can never forget is one when Bill Nicholson, the then boss of Spurs said to the press after a game in which Jimmy had scored all 4 goals " Yes he scored the goals very well but what else did the little so and so do!"

(allow for time and memory with that quote)

Couldn't find one with him from his early Chelsea days, had to make do with him in a Spurs shirt but am still looking for an old photo with him in "Blue" 

Miki

[quote]Miki this just isn't fair! I go away for a few days and when I come back everything's changed AND ALL MY POSTS HAVE GONE! How can I catch up now?[/quote]

Dick

Your posts haven't gone, all the posts were copied across from the old forum. Trouble is that because of the totally different systems and layouts used by old and new forums a lot of posts ended up just floating around looking for a home. If you are missing any reply in particular, you can search for it using your user name and/or a key word, then put it in its right place - you'll proably need to copy and paste. Sorry it's a bit of a pain, but I personally think it's a miracle that James was able to get any of the old forum into the new system.

[quote]Be serious, Rubberduck!!! There's a - ow you say - "friendly rivalry" between LF and TF, you know, like between Saints and Pompey. LivingFrance has been referred to as "The Dark Side" because some...[/quote]

I woke up at 4am in a cold sweat of shame and embarrassment.  I should of course have said "let slip the dogs of war". 

Right, that's my confessional over for today, I'm sure the rest of the day will be completely sin-free.

Now this 'ere new format.  Just one teeny little observation - not a complaint, you understand - it IS a bit slow, what with downloading all the smileys, avatars, editing options.....

Oh yes, and the "quote" thing's a bit odd, it would be nice to see the quote you'd actually selected, rather than the whole post.  It does work in the end, but first time through c'est pas evident.

That was 2 observations for the price of one.  Can't say fairer than that, eh?

But wait - my inbox, have I lost all my PMs? 

Look, never used this one before:  because we do three here.  How many do you do?

[quote]I woke up at 4am in a cold sweat of shame and embarrassment. I should of course have said " let slip the dogs of war ". Right, that's my confessional over for today, I'm sure the rest of the day ...[/quote]

But wait - my inbox, have I lost all my PMs? 

Look, never used this one before:  because we do three here.  How many do you do?

I am sure that with your personality and wit that you should soon find something in your inbox.

Whats wrong with the odd sin or two? Three is plenty.

Terry

Nope, sorry, don't like the new format. It's slow, difficult to follow, and you don't even have the option to go to certain pages in the replies, i.e. this post has got 5 pages already and I can either go page by page or last page but I cannot jump to page no. 4 . All in all, I consider this change quite unneccessary, and it will mean for me that I won't be reading as much as I used to, as I can't be bothered to traipse through all the replies on different pages.

[quote]the change is done and thats that,was the old forum better than this new one?MrO[/quote]

I hate it - were we asked if we wanted the forum layout changed? The old one seemed so easy to use and somehow "cosy" if you know what I mean. This looks just the same as all the others, clinical and cold.

I'm not some old fuddy duddy who is against change but as the saying goes

if it ain't broke - why fix it!

Val

>>>This is so tedious - 25 seconds from clicking on next page, to actually getting anything to read<<<

Jill - what sort of connection have you got ? If anything this forum is quicker on my computer.

Val - There was no option not to change. Archant (the publishers of LF) wanted everything in compatible systems. The one they suggested at first was worse than dreadful(IMHO), the mods made various suggestions as to alternatives without success, and eventually this one was found, after James (Forum Admin) really pushed hard for a better site.

As you can see it still has some glitches and the developer is apparently working on a threaded system (like the old one)

I'm sure it will improve over the weeks

Most people do not like change, but rather than critisise the new format which IMO is far better than the old one, why not spend time playing around and learning how to use it. Once you have got used to it, you will soon forget the previous format. I am not a technical person but try to find may way around by practice and if all fails just ask. There is always someone out there with answers.

I say enjoy this new site as it is sure to get better as we all learn.

Baz

Most people do not like change, but rather than critisise the new format which IMO is far better than the old one, why not spend time playing around and learning how to use it.

Baz, when it comes to not liking change, I plead guilty as charged.  I am also a complete imbecile when it comes to anything remotely technical.  But, I must say, I like this new format.  And, you are right, you just have to find a few spare minutes to play around and you quite quickly get the hang of it.  Honestly, if I can master it, anyone can.  Now I've just got to figure out how to work the DVD machine...

Jill:  do you have an ASDL line, this super speedy Broadband thing?  It's really worth getting, so much faster.

M

>>Jill:  do you have an ASDL line, this super speedy Broadband thing?  It's really worth getting, so much faster.

I do find the format is vastly better, however

I have super speedy ADSL at home and even speedier 10G connection at work and still find it tediously slow compared with a number of other discussion boards I visit. 

I can't see who has posted unless I turn off ad blocking through my firewall which adds to the tedium.

I cannot find a way of quoting parts of a previous post which ought to be an option  rather than re-posting the whole thing or copying and pasting, as I did above.

I hope somebody can solve an annoying problem. When I go to Posts since last visit and if I decide to respond to a post, I am unable to go back and look at the posts I have not read. The only way round this problem I have found is firstly read all the posts before responding. This cannot be right!

Baz

[quote]Most people do not like change, but rather than critisise the new format which IMO is far better than the old one, why not spend time playing around and learning how to use it. Baz, when it comes...[/quote]

A few months ago I asked the other half about broadband and was told we couldn't get it here. Then a few weeks ago, I was told it was possible but that we couldn't put both his and my computers on it. So, neither of them are on it. I still think there must be a way of connecting both though. It's just getting him to do the research.

However, my daughter uses a similar style forum on this computer and she says it is very quick changing from one page to another on there. Apparently it is quick on our other computer too on other websites. I've not tried this on the other computer though.