The Search Facility - help please

Penny29

Am I being obtuse or is it the system?

If I feed in a search, such as "re-registering a car" it brings up ten topics totally unconnected with my search criteria (such as Dick's witty observations on the use of asterisks - good reading but not what I wanted!!!) then, when I (the eternal optimist) try to go to the "next ten matches" nothing happens at all!

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for your replies, Gay.

I tried the advanced search facility with slightly better results, but have to say that the new search facility doesn't seem to be as "intelligent" as the old one.

For instance a search for "re-registering a vehicle" won't find alternative topics such as "registering a car" nor will it find any postings where the hyphen has been left out as in "reregistering."

I hope this will be tweaked at some point as the archives hold so much useful information which needs to be easily acessed by new members.

[quote]The problem I have with the search facility (in addition to that already mentioned) is that I can't get beyond page 1 of the search. Has anyone else experienced this problem?[/quote]

That is a known bug with the system. Trying to access the next 10 items in multiple-page results causes a 'script error' (strangely enough not with everything on the forum, though it does seem pretty consistent in the 'search'). Apparently Microsoft has produced a temporary fix, which has to be done on the server where the forum is hosted. The same error means that the spell check, one of the more useful features of the software, doesn't work and has had to be disabled.

One way you can sometimes get round it is to go to 'advanced search' and ask it to display 25 or 50 results per page and/or refine the search in other ways. I agree it's a pain in the **** though.

James is currently trying to sort out these problems. I agree that it would have been nice to present you with a fully-working new forum, but that would have meant it was off line for even longer.

Quote:

<< James is currently trying to sort out these problems. I agree that it would have been nice to present you with a fully-working new forum, but that would have meant it was off line for even longer. >>

Anyway... full user testing (that's us!) would always drive out problems that no amount of techie testing ever uncovers.

I can't get the "selective quote" to work. I wanted the final para - as above - but each time I got the first para inserted instead. Still, I'm sure it's me... can't be the sofware?

Carole

Carole,

The 'quote' facility is another problem that James is currently trying to sort out with the software developers. It seemed to be working for a while, once we knew what to do, but suddenly stopped doing even that.

[quote]Yea! It *is* the software![/quote]

Yes Carole, it is indeed. LF's publishers' IT people having specified this forum, and LF having bought it, it turns out that there are several things that don't work properly - most of them being known bugs in the software. I would have thought that having reached version 3.4 the developers would have been able to make it work properly, but what do I know about it?

<< LF's publishers' IT people having specified this forum, and LF having bought it, it turns out that there are several things that don't work properly - most of them being known bugs in the software. >>

Yep, perfectly normal! I spent the last 3 years on the edges of a technical department involved in specifying large website developments for educational publishers. I came to the conclusion that software suppliers (or at least their account managers) lie through their teeth as to what their systems can accomplish. Part of the answer lies in developing detailed requirements documents and use case scenarios as part of the discussions and eventual contract but even then, it's difficult to foresee everything. And this approach assumes that those specifying the software truly understand what the users need / want.

Carole