LF - New Website and Forum

The LF website is being improved and will be 'live' in the very near future. The forum software will also have to be upgraded to ASP.NET and will therefore look different and have different features to this one. It is hoped that we will be able to move all the threads across. The current forum will have to be shut down for a period of time (prob 1 day).

It may be necessary for all users to receive a new password before they can log back on. These should be sent by e-mail after the changeover.

I will post when I know more.

Regards,
Forum Admin

"upgraded to ASP.NET" ..... I don't think so. A local newspaper site upgraded to ASP.NET ; and didn't work half the time, despite numerous expensive upgrades.

It's a good forum ; why change it for something of highly dubious benefit, and as it's MS stuff it'll be pretty looking only.

Of all the websites that I visit, this one is by the far the most clear and easiest one to use especially for someone like me with far from perfect eyesight and no knowledge of computers apart from what I have gleaned inthe past couple of years. Please do not "clutter" the new forum layout with personal details to the side as on other sites and allow tons of smilies which can be annoying when reading a serious thread. In other words, the simpler the layout, the better. The colours on here are also much more pleasing to the eye as well instead of blue backgrounds or different coloured titles.

• 1 month later...
Dont mind the new site but it does appear slower.

What surprised me was the shut down without warning, the post at the start of this was in early july and quoted a days shutdown. I have been off forum for over a week, and only found it on again by accident as I checked in each day. No emails were sent out as promised as far as I can see.

Glad to be back

Bob

[quote]"No emails were sent out as promised as far as I can see." Bob, I am curious as to how you were able to relog on for the first time if you did not get your new password from LF via an email? Baz[/quote]

I found the site was up again, tried to log on but it wouldnt let me. So I clicked the forgotten password box, it asked for my email addie and sent me a password. I certainly didnt receive one before.

Bob

I agree that it's very very slow to load.  If I want to reply to a post, the box appears, but I have to watch all the editing options, then all the smilies, appearing one by one.  Guess what arrives last - the cursor to say I can actually start typing!   I'm a reasonably fast touch-typer, AND I like instant gratification, so you can imagine what this painful slowness means.....  I flit off to something more interesting in the meantime, like watching the plant that's growing through the lining of my swimming pool.

Please sort it out, admin, please please please please please?

I have to say Admin, that although we are on ADSL and speed is 622.4Kbs (have it !! sorry all the 33.6 and below peeps) we still get some periods of sticking and slowness, resulting in clicking "refresh" and bosh you are back to all threads showing "read" !!

Lots of teething troubles but we can laugh about it in a few years and  celebrate in 2010 what a good new forum this is, now that it's all going swimmingly (Sorry SB, just read about your pool cracking up and was not intimating about your piskin)

PS I am into instant everything, including coffi o lay

...on mine the cursor doesn't even appear!

Today I am just running just one internet explorer window (for Living France), and Outlook Express. My computer is nearly a year old and I'm connected at 42.5Kbps. Better than the average setup, I would think. Yet the LF forum is still painfully slow. It's can't be the way my computer's configured because other websites have been fine. I just hope LF isn't actually paying somebody to look into this.

F24.

I have had nothing but trouble with this new set up! had 2 passwords and now find that to sign on sucessfully(have LF included a spell check .......may save a few arguments! but then the gramatically correct brigade??  enough said!), as i was saying, I find that I have to go on the link in my email that was provided with my password....are you all still with me?

I also find the system very slow and one other whinge is that the type is very small and pale in ink colour.

Still I suppose not being on line for over a week has made me read more books and when I have only been able to read posts and not respond,have been able to bite my tongue