Knighthoods

Miki

[quote]No I don't. But then I'm not a racist. Or a troll.[/quote]

Well Dick. You might not be a racist or a troll. But what Mik says is true and if the "plotters" had not been white, they more then likely would have had a hand out from the British Government.

By the way. Isn't being racist to call someone a Troll. At the very least, it's not being very PC, which I thought, you of all people would know about. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he was dropped after the group games, rather than injured.

Rob

He received a rather nasty injury in one the early matches (France I think) and missed at least 2 or I believe it was 3 through injury. When the final came around he was fit enough to play but Sir Sir Alf deemed that Geoff Hurst would play in the final and the rest, as they say, is history!

Miki,

do you think Jimmy would have been quite so good in the modern game? I only saw him a few times in the 60's, as the Villa were in lower divisions than Spurs at that time. I don't recall him being particularly quick or over skilful, but as having a predatory goalscorers touch in the box. Who would you liken him to today?

No doubt in my mind at all that he would have been just as good and the same can go for other players of the 60's and onwards (and no doubt, some from before then even).

The game today is much more about the referee blowing up for anything he sees as slightly aggressive, Jimmy played in an era that tough men were in every single side he played and Jim was "numero uno" to stop ! Some accomplished that feat better than others but all said they feared the fact, that if they backed off, he would pop one in the net!!

Some of the goals he scored were simply one offs, I remember a particular one against Man City where after he scored, 5 men were still on the floor, having tried to stop the little man! He had skill alright, the skill of banging it in the back of the net on numerous occasions, turning on the proverbial sixpence whilst leaving defenders in his wake and finding the extra yard to leave markers way behind. He was the master of the "nutmeg" you only see that now on rare occasions!

He really was lightening fast Rob, especially in his days from Chelsea to Spurs

Who would I liken him to now? good question;

I have thought about this for years and sorry, I have to say that Jimmy was a one off, I have never seen anyone to compare him to. Yes good goalscorers have come along since, of course. Lineker being just one but ask any pro and I think you will find their answer will be the same as mine .

Is there no-one on this forum who thinks the whole idea of titles is outdated and stupid?

For me, one of the major faults with the present government's plans to get rid hereditary peers in the House of Lords is that they have retained the title "Lord" for life peers and appointees. Why not call them something without connotations of aristocratic snobbery, like Senator, Elder, Representative, etc.

Knighthoods and peerages hark back to feudal forelock tugging days when people who rode around on horses were "better" by birth than others who worked on the land, and they perpetuate the kind of class system from which Britain should finally be trying to liberate itself.

I'm glad I don't live there.

Patmobile - I agree strongly with you regarding knighthoods etc. I've always said that anyone with a title, regardless of how it was earned,heriditary etc should be stripped of that title if they get into any sort of serious bother. As for this latest scandal with "that wally",I think its a disgrace that he should have the title anyway, what did his old man do to earn it in the first place and what has he done for the good of his country,wherever that may be? There are plenty of deserving ordinary souls out there who give their all to what they believe irrespective of financial or personal gain,they deserve recognition more - rant over.:

[quote]Patmobile - I agree strongly with you regarding knighthoods etc. I've always said that anyone with a title, regardless of how it was earned,heriditary etc should be stripped of that title if they get ...[/quote]

Seems like I've found one person who agrees with me.

Yes, I do agree there is a good case for recognising selfless work for the community, or notable acts of courage, which might otherwise go unrewarded. But no knighthoods for footballers, pop stars, and civil servants, please. They are handsomely rewarded in other ways.

[quote]Patmobile - I agree strongly with you regarding knighthoods etc. I've always said that anyone with a title, regardless of how it was earned,heriditary etc should be stripped of that title if they get ...[/quote]

Val, in all fairness Denis Thatcher was a successful man in his own right before he became the PM's consort, despite the way he was portrayed by the media as a buffoon - an image which he tended to use to his own advantage. Whether his success in business with Burmah Oil warranted an honour is debatable, but plenty of less deserving business people get gongs. I do agree about his son though. 

Please don't start me on disgraced and otherwise dodgy persons though, I think it's a scandal that Jeffrey Archer, the well known plagiarist and perjuror, should have become a Lord in the first place let alone been allowed to keep the title.

[quote]Well Dick. You might not be a racist or a troll. But what Mik says is true and if the "plotters" had not been white, they more then likely would have had a hand out from the British Government. By th...[/quote]

I know all about PC? Why is that, my anonymous friend? I just object to racists and the generally unpleasant.

We've actually got a few somewhere in the house. Don't you remember they made quite a comeback about 15 years ago as my kids went out and bought some and here in France, they kept coming free in cereals. Before that, it was the late 60's and early 70's when I had a couple as a mere child until my little brother shaved all their heads bald so he could use them as enemies of Action Man.

[quote]I thought that Denis Thatcher was a Baronet as Mrs T was made Baroness Thatcher - the family pack, so to speak. I read somewhere that Mark got his Sirdom as a result.[/quote]

Dick, I asked this Baron question on another site and got the reply that Mrs.T had invoked an ancient right by a commoner to demand a Baroness title which was only conferred on members of the Royal Family. She obviously went for the highest honour she could find as the top job was already filled with" replacements waiting". Was it she who got rid of school milk? If so, then that is the only good thing she ever did as we were made to drink it in all weathers, soured or frozen and I have never been so sick afterwards as I was in those days from that stuff.

It may have made you sick, Val, but at one time it was the only calcium some kids got. Remember rickets? Neither do I, proves that it worked! And at least 90% of kids loved it - so banning it may have suited you but wouldn't have been for the overall good.

I am sure that Baroness T did some negotiating (aka 'handbagging') on the question of her status in the Lords - and although I dislike the woman intensely I don't blame her after the way she was treated by the Conservatives. Putting political dislike aside I think that time has also treated her very badly - partly due to her own personality, no doubt - the loss of Dennis was very poignant I thought. And as for having to put up with Mark! (Is it true that Dennis used to refer to him as 'the little s**t'?) She seems to be an unhappy woman now, and no-one deserves that.

Whatever her faults I think Mrs T was 'true to herself', an accusation that IMHO sadly doesn't ring quite so true with current 'leadership'.

I didn't mind the milk (as long as it hadn't been left next door to a radiator) but what happened to the stuff you used to be able to get at Baby clinics ....Marmite was one (Vit B ?) Farex and best of all 'clinic' orange ( I loved it !)

But no knighthoods for footballers, pop stars, and civil servants, please. They are handsomely rewarded in other ways.

Strangely perhaps, I am not a lover of Lordships and Sirs but I am now wary that there is not a lot of point in arguing the toss, as just like the UK, it will always be there.

So it was a case of joining "them" and by doing so, thought that Jimmy and several others who have not been recognised deserve an accolade but please, let's not reduce the awards down to being means tested !

My old neighbour in the UK won an MBE (or one of them, it made a great stir down our road anyway!) for her sterling charity work and for services to St Johns. She used to go about how much voluntary work, many caring sports people put in to good causes, some we all know about but she said we didn't hear the half of it.

I  know that to be spot on.

Perhaps you should let people have their opinion and enter into reasonable debate instead of labeling them racist ect.

Ho and by the way I think my dog is worth more than the population of the african sub continent.

Mik,

I haven't entered in this PC thingy and going on the text in red above that you spout off, it isn't worth anyone else doing so either.

Reasonable debate and my dog is worth etc etc hardly go hand in hand and for that alone you ought to slope off to your kennel to keep your dog happy.

You seem to be some sad case that just searches for trouble but in real life I suspect your a half a lager and home to bed by 8 type of character. No smileys no nothings just how I feel about idiots that post complete crap.

Isn't it funny - object to the racist crap and you are PC. How about being fair, just and open-minded? What is wrong with that? (And well enough educated to know that Africa isn't a sub-continent, it's a continent). And then you justify your abuse as free speech. Or speach as you would probably spell it. And it's etc. not ect. That's short for ectoplasm, which is a sort of slimy half-live goo. Now, where did I get that idea from?

I think my dog is worth more than you - how about that as an acceptable statement? (It's stuffed, by the way).

Strange, too, that both Dunrunnin' and rubberduck (cool names) are both anonymous - no profile details.

[quote]Ho ho - I get up to 100 junk emails a day - but Entourage is very efficient. I sometimes reply, using a hoaxing hotmail account. Usually to the ones who claim religious reasons for ripping me off...An...[/quote]

Ha, try telling that to the next one you meet on the slopes of Sneffels Yokulls.  She will stretch you and squeeze you into the right shape, then take you home and make you have her babies.   Icelandic trolls are very touchy about humans messing with their yokulls. 

Coucou Admin

The quote feature doesn't work - I highlighted "Trolls are Norwegian" from Dick's post, but it quoted the first four lines instead.   Now my above post makes no sense.....

I tried to edit it, but only got a blank screen, I expected to get the post itself and be able to edit that, not start all over again.

Apart from that, everything's hunkydandy

[quote]Dick, Is it only George Cohen from the '66 World Cup winning team or are there more who haven't been given a honour? Considering the rush to give the rugby players gongs after their (more limited) su...[/quote]

Why is the winning of the rugby world cup less of an acheivement than the football one. Anyone who has ever played both sports at a reasonably high level will appreciate that the physical and mental efforts involved in rugby is way beyond that of football. I wouldn't seek to demote either. Both incredible acheivements and both teams rightly honoured!!

[quote]How strange that someone like your good self would think it strange,dicky.Surely someone with an IQ like yours and an overriding knowlegde of all things would know in a free world people are free to p...[/quote]

Again with the smiles. I'm not sure what your mail means (it is in English, is it?). Personally I think this forum is getting too much information from you...

Today's spellings : knowledge, without.

[quote]Why is the winning of the rugby world cup less of an acheivement than the football one. Anyone who has ever played both sports at a reasonably high level will appreciate that the physical and mental e...[/quote]

I don't fundamentally disagree, but the soccer world cup is surely more competitive than the rugby one - it was the rush which I was really highlighting, compared to 30+ years for members of the 1966 squad.

Sorry, uber-Ducky, I should have explained. When (if) you went to school, when you made mistakes the teacher used to put "Today's spellings" at the bottom of the page and then the words you had got wrong. You were expected to write them out five times, correctly. For practice. And I managed to get the apostrophe in the right place in 'today's' twice. Have a look, because you didn't. Oh, and English starts with a capital letter (you remember, people and places - we call them 'proper nouns') or were you away that day as well? Is 'lefthand' all one word? Is 'righthand'? Your English is as coherent as your thinking, Ducky.

[quote]Sorry, uber-Ducky, I should have explained. When (if) you went to school, when you made mistakes the teacher used to put "Today's spellings" at the bottom of the page and then the words you had got wr...[/quote]

Dick,

Don't lower your standards to those who try to drag you down. It's not worth it!

".....a reasonably high level will appreciate that the physical and mental efforts involved in rugby is way beyond that of football"

Way beyond, I don't think so.

Sorry but I have to disagree, much of rugby is still based on part time training. The pack can be fit but many are overweight and for obvious reasons are selected for their weight in the scrum.

How is the mental effort any more than, say a goalkeeper, who must be aware and thus must concentrate for long periods.

Players must be aware in both sports but I fail to see why you claim Rugby demands a more mental effort ?

Sure Rugby is more a physical sport but only having trained at club level and many years ago now, I never saw it as anywhere near as tough as soccer training, played at a much higher level.

I think Dick was only saying just how quick off the mark the powers that be were, compared to taking over 30 years for some of the boys of 66 to finally get their gongs.