THE PERFECT CLIMATE ????

Karen

Having bought our house in Le Quesnoy en Artois (Nr Hesdin-62) just over a year ago We have been asked if we are thinking of retiring to France. We have always said that we would probably go further south IF we were able to retire but frankly where we would we go? Obviously this year has been pretty poor in a lot of northern europe. we live in Essex which is one of the driest parts of England but the pas de calais always seems slightly better than home. We don't want the heat of Greece,Spain, etc. in high summer but it would be nice to be somewhere where you can expect a good summer and mild spring/autumn.

Would you reccommend where YOU live?

Had a house not far from Hesdin for years, for holidays. The winter holidays were bobbins. We were freezing. I believe south of the Loire there's a noticeable difference in winter temperatures, compared to  southern England.

Having said that, I'm in 17, Charente Maritime, and last winter was horrible, (I sulked like mad), but nothing compared to Sheffield or Manchester, where I spent all my earlier years.

Go south.

Hi

I've got some notes about Languedoc weather here :

http://tlp.netfirms.com/languedocweather.htm

http://tlp.netfirms.com/meteo2.htm

http://tlp.netfirms.com/meteo.htm

http://tlp.netfirms.com/expat/link15.htm

There does seem to be improved weather South of the Loire, but it improves even more South of the Massif Central !

Peter

I think weather varies even within departements.  e.g. Tarn & Garonne. On Good Friday my hubby was working in our garden (north west 82) wearing shorts and no top (first nice day that week tho) and people we met next day in the eastern part of 82 said it had snowed on Good Friday!

Our neighbour claims our village has a micro-climat and says it has only snowed twice in 11 years.  We were there the 2nd time and there was v little snow but it was cold and damp there and in Toulouse.

What I like to see around me in the countryside somewhat dictates my perfect climate. I 'need' lots of trees, preferably plenty of broadleaf forests / woods, lots of greenery. This precludes swathes of southern France. So while I'd like shorter winters than southern Normandie is likely to provide, I'm still likely to have to live in an area with comparatively high rainfall.

Carole

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you all so much for your replies - we have been working and spent last weekend in France (nice weather) and haven't had a chance to look at the forum. We will definitely have to get the atlas out to decode all those dept. no's!!!

Will(the conquerer) has probably hit the nail on the head as different people want different climates. Personally we would like the English climate if you could guarantee a descent couple of summer months but the idea of mild springs and autumns with guaranteed 70/80's in the summer would be idillic. Is there such a place? If you had 35 degrees last week Will,where do you live? Isn't it REALLY hot in summer?

Regards Karen & Dave

We love being in the north of dept 24! Yes there is a lot of rain in winter but the blue sky and mild temperatures during the day make up for it.  Very little wind is what my husband likes. Spectacular lightening storms in summer and clear sky to watch shooting stars at night in autumn.  Lots of forests and wildlife.  Morning dews which mean that you do not need to water the garden very often.  The scenery reminds me of Scotland, particularly the Borders and around Perth.  I could go on and on and on.  This suits us but would it suit you?