Forum help needed please - Users with ME and before

Russethouse

I assume we're talking about versions of Windows and not a medical problem.

I have not experienced any difficulties when using my laptop which runs on Windows ME. My office desk computer, which is the one I most frequently use online, runs on 98 and I can't get the control panel menu to appear at all.

I'm just fiddling about with it now (the computer) and it seems I can't get other menus on the same line either.

I don't know if this helps - let me know if you want me to try any experiments (with the computer that is).

Just copied this below from the Control Panel.

I've got mine set on All Options - so officially I should be able to use all stuff listed at the top, but I can't - as far as I can see, anyway. I'm in Microsoft Internet Explorer and I'm fairly certain I'm on Windows 98.

"Options. Emoticons, colorpickers, table editor + all other options.

Standard Options. Colorpickers, table editor + all other options.

Basic Options. Font formatting, bullets, alignments, cut copy & paste.

Minimal Options. Font formatting with cut copy & paste.

Disable WYSIWYG. Replaces editor with a standard HTML TextArea"

My computer's on ME and the only problem I've got (I think!) is that the 'envelopes' on the left hand side, which should, I think be open for topics I haven't read, are sometimes closed so that I have to go by the date of the last posting to know if I've already read it.

Cheryl

I have win98 at home and explorer 5 and can see the control panel and names of users but don't have the emoticons/WYSYWYG editor when compiling messages. I am not running AVG or Norton.

So...I think than there may be two problems that need overcoming.

1. Browser compatability for WYSYWYG editor

2. Firewall problem (Norton) etc for the names and control panel not showing.

To test this theory is there anyone using IE5 and can see WYSYWYG editor?

Is there anyone using Norton that can see the control panel and if so what are you running it on?

Thanks

I think that if there is a Norton problem it is with Personal Firewall rather than Anti-Virus. I use Norton AV2002 (kept updated) and can see what I am supposed to see as far as control panels etc are concerned. Maybe newer versions of Norton AV might cause problems - I have heard that they are more troublesome which is why I decided to keep 2002 as long as it is supported. Personal Firewall and Anti-Virus are separate programs, though often sold together.

However I can't see smileys, text editor etc on my laptop which uses Windows ME and IE5.5, and it's the same on another forum using the same software. So that looks like a problem with older Windows and/or IE versions.

I use both xp and win98. Xp does not work with this forum software but win 98 does now I unchecked 'disable script debugging'

[quote]Is it possible that you could all stop talking in code and use the full name for things please - so I have some idea of what you are talking about. I use computers, I leave all the setting up to my h...[/quote]

Jill (99 - as opposed to Jill3) I'm rather like you, the thing on my desk is just a tool and not a god.

But in this case it's all reasonably simple, must be if I can get to grips with it. ME, XP, 98, 98SE, 95 etc are versions of Windows, and IE is Internet Explorer.

To take care of possible future postings - Mac is Macintosh (the particular computer system made by Apple as opposed to the PCs most of us have which can be made by anybody), OS10 etc is the Macintosh operating system (roughly speaking the Mac equivalent to Windows) and things like Netscape, Safari etc are alternative programs to Microsoft's Internet Explorer for browsing the internet. AV is anti-virus, made by companies like Norton and McAfee, AVG is another anti-virus program. A firewall is basically a different sort of anti-virus program which is designed to protect your computer against viruses etc that enter via the 'back door' rather that just come attached to e-mails. That's all a bit simplified, so apologies in advance to the experts.

At work I use XP Pro through what is usually an extremely fast connection but when using the forum it is just as slow as using a dial up modem. 

Very often if a topic is over one page long the second page won't load.

Also I can't see where to change the font size, at present it is so small making it very hard to read.  Changing it in the IE/view/font size to largest makes no difference to the forum but in every other web page it becomes enormous.

Diana

At the risk of repeating myself from a previous post, I am most certainly not a 'techy' (is that how you spell it?) ie. I do not know all about the inner workings of programmes or computers. However, I am a bit of a 'ferret' says my husband, darling man, so when something doesn't work I strive to find out why!

So, I did a 'ferret' through Microsoft Knowledge Base (from their help and support pages) and there was a piece about pages not loading correctly or completely on windows 98 and it said try disabling script debugging. Now I don't know what that does but in my case I unchecked it and reloaded the forum and it has worked perfectly ever since.

Needless to say I did the same on XP and it still does not work so it is back to ferreting unless someone else comes up with the answer.

By the way, has the company who produce this software made any comment about the problems we are all experiencing? Would it be a good idea to give us their email address so we can all bombard them with questions?

Paul, I inadvertantly deleted your post as it appeared 3 times and I seem to have got rid of them all - very sorry about that, could you post again with your suggestion as I know there are a few people who can't see the control panel - Deby and Jill would be interested to know what you changed on your settings.

Some users of the old forum software used to have problems posting to the old forum with Norton and I used to point them towards a post by Mazan in the FAQ's (still in there). Does this look like what you did? http://www.livingfrance.com/instantforum/shwmessage.aspx?ForumID=5&MessageID=3733

[quote]I have win98 at home and explorer 5 and can see the control panel and names of users but don't have the emoticons/WYSYWYG editor when compiling messages. I am not running AVG or Norton. So...I think ...[/quote]

James,

I am using XP home edition and I have not been able to see the control panel although I appeared to have everything else - emoticons etc.

I have just been ferreting and I found this in MS Knowledge base

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q154036

I have tried some of it for IE6 and then the control panel appears, BUT then I cannot post!

I'll keep looking......

Running ME amd loath to pay for a Microsoft upgrade only problems :

Spellchecker will not work

Some reluctance to load second/susequnt pages of replies

Lost loggin on software change and as I was travelling at the time hade one attempt at recovering before settiling for gender realignment as below. Every time I try and start as "A_Redman" "Anton Redman" etc am told loggin exists but password does not match.

Anton Redman (login explanation is getting tedious)

I am using ME.

Most of the forum works but I cant get smilies, or font adjustment. I also have to click on login to login although I thought I had set it up as auto log on like before.

Also I cannot use a partial quote (in box) I have to have full message.

Internet Explorer is Vers 5.50

Bob

Bob

What we have found so far is that the lack of smilies and formatting seems to be an Internet Explorer 5 and 5.5 thing, though James hasn't found a way round it yet.

The login problem appears to affect everybody, as does the way that the quote function doesn't work as it should.

So is anybody using Internet Explorer 5 or 5.5, or an older version, and gets the full range of functions?

I have had a look at script debugging and this seems to be something you do in Internet Explorer rather than Windows itself (by going to Tools, Internet Options, Advanced and checking/unchecking the appropriate box). Having tried it on a system which doesn't get smileys etc I found that it made no difference for me - can you remember what you did Jill?

[quote]Bob What we have found so far is that the lack of smilies and formatting seems to be an Internet Explorer 5 and 5.5 thing, though James hasn't found a way round it yet. The login problem appears to ...[/quote]

Do you mean me?

Hi Will,

Yes I did disable script debugging on PC using win 98 but IE6, I do not think it is the windows OS that is the problem. It's got to be something in the way browsers display the scripts.