Travelling to France w/o Passport

Deby

Does anyone know if it is possible to travel to France without a Passport.   I have looked at the various embassy websites and find nothing. 

My father wishes to come to France before Christmas but cannot as his passport rests with the New Zealand Embassy (he is planning to Emigrate and if he requests it back it will delay things). 

I always thought it not possible to travel without it certainly he could not return to the UK. Does anyone know of any travel permits/docs that are accepted.  Of course he still has to return so the solution would have to cover entrance/exit/return?

Merci bien.
Deby

Deby, there was a thread on this subject some time ago and a couple of people said they had managed to get in to France without a passport on isolated occasions but acknowledged they were very fortunate.  I'm sure officially one can't and it's not worth the risk.  Ironic really as this was one of the selling points years ago when we were all "sold" the idea of the Common Market.

I am certain the NZ Embassy will understand if you contact them (assuming you can find a human being rather than a machine to talk to) as this sort of thing happens all the time, especially with business people.  

hi

i've done it a couple of times, in error !

Once I presented my wifes (French) passport and I had an interesting chat about it with the official at Dover(I had picked up the wrong one)! I was able to get into UK and later France by producing various driving licenses, expired CdeS's, carte gris etc. from four countries.

"Well sir, it seems so complicated you might as well just go straight in".

I was unaware of it on the journey until I reached UK, but was pretty nervous on the return as my journey was France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden. No one else asked to see it which was both unusual & lucky. The biggest problem was getting on the ferry UK - France.

The second time I had forgotten it and I was able to use my French CdeS on Ryanair. No problem entering UK.

I wouldn't do it deliberately, but it can be done.

Peter

I had always believed that when in France to must (by law) carry an acceptable form of photo id. I personally have not bothered with the CdeS (as it seemed a lot of work and is no longer required – with my limited French language I phoned the prefecture and asked and they went through all the documents and at that point I decided not to bother) which I thought left me with having to carry round my UK passport (which I actually do on occasions).

Carrying my passport is a real nuisance and whilst it is new, I recon I’ll need a new one next year as it is rapidly being screwed up in pockets, etc.

Does anybody know what forms of photo id are acceptable when in France ?

French driving licence has a photo on.  That is what OH uses when he is asked for identity when paying by cheque.  He does not have a carte de identite.  He has a passport instead.

I haven't been asked for years for proof of identity but I have my CdeS in my purse.  Never go out without my purse!

I seriously doubt it, especially since the UK is not part of the Schengen agreement. Even if they don't ask for your passport on entering France (if you travel by ferry), they will do so when you check in at the ferry terminal, and obviously if you travel by air it's impossible for Brits to check in without one - although members of other EU states can also use their ID cards. BUT - can't your father get another passport quickly if he goes to the passport office? There's nothing to stop him having 2 - many business travellers do, to avoid visa and entry complications.

Malcolm

I have a thing called a laissez passer issued by the EU, which I used to get out of Belgium when I lost my passport last year.

And I heard about a guy from Fife, who arrived at Harwich having lost his passport and who was greeted by an Immigration Official from the same county- whoo admitted him with the view that no-one could fake an accent like that!

Can he get a temprorary travel document? Like you get from an embassy if you lose your passport?