Not cheaper but better selection in France

Val_2

Caught the end of Radio 4's "You and Yours" lunchtime and they were doing a shopping trip to Calais or Bologne to compare basic prices. The researchers went to Carrefour and all the english visitors they asked, said they had never seen such a range of products all under one roof compared to their shops back home and were enjoying themselves. A few things turned up in that french butter was cheaper by the kilo in Asda than in Carrefour taking into account the current drop in the pound as the euro is 15% stronger. Two years ago the researchers did the same trip and found they saved overall 25% on buying here,but this year it was found to only be 10% and taking into account the cost of getting across the channel it wasn't worth the trip except for the enjoyment of seeing different products. A french spokesperson for Carrefour said that their english customers had dropped in numbers and they were now only targetting their french clients with special offers. Apparently,they said, it was cheaper to go to Belgium for cigarettes now. There is a website for Radio 4 if you want to look up the details further.

Hi

I'm not so sure about the better selection.

I agree there is a wide selection of French products, but UK supermarkets now stock items from a wider international base.

The best I've found for selection have been in Belgium.

Try buying Californian wine in France, or Spanish / Italian cured meats, or stilton ! The range is quite small.

Peter

It all really depends on how you define choice.

The average UK off-licence or supermarket will stock wines from many more countries than a typical French outlet. But closer examination reveals that most of the choice is bland varietal wines all trying to get their slice of the Chardonnay, Cab Sauvignon market, and the majority  will be  pitched at the £3.99-£7.99 bracket.

A French outlet will have a narrower selection probably 90%+ French but there will be bottles from 2 euros through to fine vintage claret. And if you want real variety who has yet explored all the French Appellations?

I suppose thats the myth of choice pushed by the UK marketeers, the opportunity to choose between a multiplicity of  lookalikes.

I certainly enjoy a trip to Tesco or Waitrose when I'm at our house in England. Don't know about specific prices, I'd say overall there was very little to choose between UK and France, but the selection is infinitely better than the equivalent Leclerc or Carrefour (and I'm not talking about baked beans, cheddar cheese and yeast extract here). Wine is probably the exception, but I've not bought drink in Tesco for years now.

Do you think that prices are higher at supermarkets/hypermarkets around Calais though than, say in the Charente?

I listened to the programme and couldn't help wondering, as these shops were geared towards daytrippers, whether this would be the case. Good to hear that they are targetting the French now with their offers!

Maybe I will do a comparison sometime after I have been to Leclerc (when I have nothing better to do!) using Asda on-line shopping prices.

I agree with Will, I really enjoy shopping in Tescos and Asda whenever we return - just to drool over at the jars of chutneys, pickles, relishes, marinades and curry sauces!! We also buy clothes and bed linens in Tesco or Asda as they are cheaper and better quality than the stuff on offer in Leclerc!!

regards.......helen

The hypermarkets around Calais and Boulogne are more expensive than our local supermarkets just one hour way in the Pas de Calais countryside.

UK shoppers are certainly the reason.

I am currently doing some work in a Wine & Spirits outlet in Calais where between 30 and 80 coachloads of Brits arrive every day to get their booze. The drink prices are given in Sterling and in Euros. It's the same at Cite Europe shopping centre and just over the border in Belgium where they go for tobacco.

Prices for most drinks in the shop where I am working are approximately the normal supermarket price, but with a pound sign instead of euro. For instance Bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon Pays d'Oc from £1.99 to £2.49. The coach trippers think it's cheap, but there's an ordinary supermarket round the corner selling much the same stuff for 2 euros or even less.

You can however buy some excellent New World Wines there at prices from £1.99 a bottle, and every time I do a comparison, I drift further towards the conclusion that the French producers are stuck in the past. Perhaps it's the Appellation rules that make them so inflexible and unable to bend to the wind of changing tastes?

Patrick

I remember once spending 6 hours in a hypermarket between Bidart and Biaritz, it was HUGE ! It sold everything from car tyres to flimsy undies and a huge range of food and toiletries.

We watched one French family keep going in and out with a trolley loads at a time of staple goods - perhaps the prices were good.

Since then the range of stuff Tesco's and Asda sell has increased tremendously but I've yet to seen a UK store quite that large !

I've just been to my local Tesco. In floor area it's about the same as the Carrefour I often use. The main difference between the two stores is the space devoted to non-foods: perhaps 50% in Carrefour, perhaps 20% in Tesco. There is much more space in Tesco available for food and - I hazard to guess - a much greater variety of food. Tesco has, for example, English, French, Italian and other styles of bread and baked products.

Tesco has wines from France, Italy, Spain, England, Germany, Chile, Australia, South Africa and California. The French section has AOCs from all areas as well as grape variety products. The starting price is about £2.50 per bottle and then goes up and up. My experience in France has been that some (certainly not all) cheap wines shouldn't even be used as paint stripper.

I think that shopping for the French is something of a parochial affair. They have been led to believe that their cuisine and wine is the best in the world and see no need to look elsewhere. The English are not shackled to such a myopic view (mixed metaphor!) and now reap a considerable benefit.

"We also buy clothes and bed linens in Tesco or Asda as they are cheaper and better quality than the stuff on offer in Leclerc!!"

Yes, Leclerc's stuff is awful!  I bought some bedlinen, pillowcases, etc when we first arrived, and although it may have been technically 100% cotton, it was very nasty cotton, and they've all gone to Pillowcase Heaven already, faded and thin.

I heard the programme here in UK and wondered why they didn't mention what items they were comparing.  I go to our house in France and enjoy shopping there but I've also taken the odd day trip to Calais.

I don't go to Calais to get cheaper washing powder and coffee etc (as hinted at in the programme). I go because it is a cheap 'french' day out.  First, a great 3 course lunch in Calais town, back to Cite Europe and Carrefour to get cheeses, pates, fresh seafood, oysters, duck breasts etc.  A look round the french clothes and interiors shops; then it's a quick bowl of mussels and a glass of wine before getting the eurostar home.

A real treat for under £20 each!

I agree that the English supermarkets  have improved their range and are now open to stocking  more interesting products from around the world. We used to get a buzz from shopping in France for a few goodies to take home but now we live here we look forward to a trip to our old shopping haunts  back home.