Horror in Pau

Alexis

Awful.  Those poor nurses.  On the day when they had the first funeral of the girls murdered too.  Real laugh along news last night.

Everytime you open the newspaper there is another horror to read.  I am sure it wasn't like this 10 - 15 years ago.  Perhaps they kept it quiet.

A nurse and an assistant were on night duty Friday night and someone broke a window to enter the department and murdered them.  The nurse had her head cut off and it was placed on the top of the telly.  The assistant had her throat chopped to bits.  Not just cut.

The morning equipe found the blood and phoned for the police.  Bloody awful for them too.

Dreadful. My nurse friend called yesterday and told us about this. She worked in a Psychiatric hospital for a while years ago and the first rule for all staff was always to back out of a patient's room,never walk out with your back to them. However, they do reckon it could have been an intruder rather than an inmate so time will tell as someone has already rung the gendarmes with info.

Yes, they let them go yesterday afternoon.  The first four were 'marginals' which I take to be SDF.  One of them apparently telephoned saying there had been a 'carnage'.  All had been drinking.

The fifth man picked up had been released from the hospital on the Monday before the murders and had a 'history of violence'.

I am sure I heard on a report on Friday that the local emergency had treated someone covered in blood the friday morning and they phoned the flic.  At the moment they don't know if the person broke the window leaving or entering and they are testing the blood.

[quote]You're right, Dick, it's not been reported here in the UK as far as I know, so - although I dread to ask - what has been going on???[/quote]

I did eventually find mention of this horrific murder on Yahoo news last night.

An absolutely shocking affair, my heart goes out to the families and friends of these poor nurses. Sadly these awful events can and do happen, even in our day and age and in "civilised" countries.

Gill

It is truly horrific, isn't it.   When you think of the horror films that you've seen, the fact that this is real is just unimaginably awful.

Finally reported in the Grauniad today if anyone wants to read it in English:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/france/story/0,11882,1377311,00.html

In the middle of a 42-hectare wood, yuck, too isolated for safety.  Mention of lack of security too, due to funding cuts.  There's a surprise.

Horrible.

No more arrests but questioning patients:

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/041221/202/46wa3.html

It may have had some effect on the closure of psychiatric units:

"Ce double homicide a révélé au grand jour la crise de l'institution psychiatrique en France, contraignant le ministre de la Santé, Philippe Douste-Blazy, à intervenir et anticiper son plan de santé mentale qui sera présenté, a-t-il dit, "entre le 1er et 15 février" et qui serait doté de "200 millions d'euros". Il s'est aussi prononcé pour un moratoire sur les fermetures de lits en psychiatrie."

But I remember them saying that in the UK...